1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cp1 Co2 Pistol Review

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Nubble, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Nubble

Nubble Donator

CP 1 Co2 Target Pistol Review

Introduction.

I was after a pistol for a little bit of back yard target shooting. I just wanted to have a bit of fun, nothing serious and hadn’t shot a pistol for perhaps 40 years.

The main points for me to consider were Co2 or PCP, price and noise. I didn’t want springer, gas ram etc. It had to be cheap or affordable (justifiable to the Mrs!) and had to be quiet. After a lot of research, reading and searching I finally settled on a kit from Pellpax. Originally I had decided on a Kandar CP1 from Poland but by the time I added on the cost of moderator, adaptor, sight etc there was not a lot in it. I had also been told to steer away from the (8 shot?) magazine versions.

The CP 1 is available under a few different names. Mine is a Pro Shot (Zasdar) CP 1. You can also get the SMK, Air Force Trophy, Kandar, Silesia etc. but essentially all fairly similar in construction. They all use the regulation size 12gr Co2 capsules. At the time of writing I have only had the CP 1 for a couple of weeks and being new to pistols I am still getting used to it. As a result this review is only my first impressions and short term test.

Description.

Mine came as a kit from Pellpax with a few extras but the gun is available in basic, open sights version in both .177 and .22 for around £70. Ordering from Eastern Europe may be a little cheaper. Also available in .25 calibre.

My kit was as follows:

CP1 Target Pistol in .177 single shot

Hawke Red dot sight (mounted) instructions and cleaning cloth

Additional dovetail scope mount (1.25”?)

Stumpy (plastic?) moderator

½” UNF Silencer adaptor

Original Front open sight (removed prior to dispatch, included in jiffy bag)

Fitted Rear open sights

3 Separate hex keys in zip seal bag for gun and scope etc.

10 140mm heavy card targets

10 12gr Co2 Capsules (plus one fitted prior to dispatch)

250 Flat head .177 pellets

Pro Shot .177 cleaning kit (full, bore cleaning kit, 2 wire brushes, 2 cloth brushes plus pellet probe/drill), 4 brass rods with handle and carry case.

Large plastic pistol case with egg box type foam in which everything was delivered

No original boxes, instructions or packaging etc.

Manufacturers 1 years warranty

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It was delivered to the door by Pellpax at 7:40 on a Sunday morning. It was signed for, ID checked, took 5 mins and the guy was on his way. I had plenty of notification prior to delivery and can highly rate this service offered by them. I think it had been in the guys van all night as it was absolutely freezing when I first opened it all up. You may be able to see all the condensation on it in the first photo.

I left it for a few hours before taking it out for a play later that afternoon and set up a target at around 8m. I also popped a fresh capsule in my pocket to warm up as it was only about 2 degrees C outside.

First Impressions.

Immediately the gun felt fairly comfortable in the hand. A nice ambidextrous beech stock with a large palm rest, fairly smooth but possibly just a tad chunky around the front of the grip. It felt a little front heavy but I surmised this may be due to the location of the Red Dot sight.

The first few shots were around 4” low and 4” right. Pellpax state;
    “comes zeroed and ready to shoot” !!!!!!!!
    After a couple of trial shots I worked out the zero and had is somewhere close within around 10 shots.

Pellet loading was extremely difficult as the Red Dot sight was located directly above the shot tray. This gave me plenty of time in between shots! But was ultra fiddly. The cocking and loading action is by a bolt which on this model is located on the right hand side of the gun. Being right handed I thought this would be a bit of a pain but you get used to it. I tend to swap hands holding the stock in my left hand while I load with the right. I place my right thumb on the rear of the gun and draw the bolt back with the crook of my index finger. It’s fairly easy, a little bit rough but it locates easily when cocked. A pellet is loaded into the tray and the probe pushed forwards. The last 10 millimetres of travel require a little more effort as the pellet is loaded into the breech. The probe then locks in place as the bolt is pushed down toward the stock. Mine actually touches the stock.

I believe that the SMK version has the bolt on the left.

The short moderator does a fairly good job of calming the muzzle noise. It is very light so does not make the gun too front heavy or tiring to hold. It is 105mm long and 26mm diameter and fits via a ½ “ UNF adaptor. The muzzle end is threaded so that the internals can be removed. It is very efficient considering the simplicity of it’s internals. The adaptor is held in place with 2 small grub screws. Overall I think that the moderator is in perspective with the gun and looks ok.

[​IMG]

The trigger pull is quite heavy as standard to the point that as I pulled the trigger I could see my poa wobbling due to the effort required to pull the trigger. There was also quite a lot of travel so it seemed to take an age to get a shot off. Bear this in mind as it does affect your accuracy so the trigger will possibly need a little work to get it right. Having said that you could quite easily put up with it. Some versions do not have an ‘adjustable’ trigger.

With a fresh bulb loaded there is a small amount of recoil as the gun is fired which is ok, quite satisfying, and the overall noise is within reason. I am getting 40 plus good consistent shots from each capsule with a total shot count of a round 50+ before the poi drops alarmingly and the pellets just bounce off your backstop only half deformed!

The first 3 targets.

[​IMG]

Pellet deformation at 7m (far right = low power shot)

[​IMG]

After the first couple of outings I felt that I needed to sort the trigger out. The action is removed easily from the stock by undoing 2 hex bolts. I started by removing the trigger assembly. This is very easy and takes a few seconds. I then removed the grub screw from the trigger and reversed it so that there would be a smaller contact area on the sear plate. I also adjusted the creep out a touch. This improved things a little but not enough for me so I then set to work on removing the trigger and sear plus the hammer assembly from the rear of the action.

I polished the sear plate underside where the (trigger) grub screw comes into contact with the sear plate starting with 80 grit wet n dry working thru to 1200 to get a lovely smooth, mirror finish. I also polished the opposite end where it locates on the hammer to make for a smoother release (hammer latch pin). I then repeated the process with the hammer on the surface where it comes into contact with the hammer tube as the gun is cycled. The internals of the hammer tube were cleaned before a light smear of moly grease was added to the sliding surfaces of the hammer. I also tried to remove the ‘edge’ from the grub screw but really needed a magnifying glass.

[​IMG]

The barrel was also cleaned thoroughly with a home made pull thru and the action given a nice clean and oil. A dab of pellgun oil on a capsule every now and then will help keep the seals in check.

I also removed the rear open sight and relocated the Red Dot as far back as it would go on the scope rail. This has totally balanced the gun out and now feels so much better. The gun balances about 10mm (half an “) in front of the trigger guard. Pellet loading is now a joy. They almost fall into place.

[​IMG]

After a few days the action when cycling the bolt is a whole lot smoother, could be better but an improvement on the standard set up and the trigger is getting better but still not light enough. I decided to remove the trigger again and replace the original cup point grub screw with a slightly longer stainless steel, taper point grub screw. This was to reduce the actual surface in contact with the sear plate to a minimum. The longer grub screw allows for a greater degree of adjustment whilst still maintaining plenty of grub screw ‘left inside the trigger’. With most of the creep now adjusted out and the new grub screw it has slightly improved again but now think I need to experiment with trigger springs to get it to where I want it.

[​IMG]

Spec.

Calibre .177

Approx ft/lb 5 (quoted)

Overall length 485mm (18”) (Tip of mod to rear of palm rest)

Overall weight 1059Gr (2.3lb) (with moderator, sight and full bulb)

Barrel l Dia x L 10mm x 210mm (3/8” x 8 1/4”)

Mod weight 58Gr

Mod Dia x L 26mm x 105mm (1” x 4 1/8”)

Conclusion.

I’m very happy with it so far. I can easily pop out in the garden for half an hour and not make too much noise. Shot count is fairly good. I would say close on 50 shots with 40 ‘full power’. I like the feel and balance as standard but now toying with the idea of contouring the stock a touch. I have used it single handed and two handed and both are comfortable. I have also shot with it rested and it put in very nice tight 5p/2p size groups with RWS Geco. It’s great fun. I’m still playing around with my grip and hold to find what’s best for me. I do plan on testing it out to 25m rested given the time but I’m just enjoying getting used to it. I think it is capable of fair results. I may also add a second grub screw to the trigger to make it ‘2 stage’ but will turn my attentions to the spring next. I would also like to try it with a reflex sight and perhaps a nice pistol scope too. I’m not interested in open sights at the moment, maybe later on down the line.

Pro’s

Cheap and affordable

For the money it shoots well straight out of the box

Very easy to strip and clean

Good fun and I suspect quite capable in the right hands

Rifled barrel

Decent length rail for scopes etc

Available in a variety of set-ups/configurations

It all fits in the case, no need to slip the mod off each time

Con’s

No ‘click’ adjustment on scope turrets

Changing capsules every 40-50 shots (fine by me)

Basic cheapo Chinese manufacturing

Very heavy trigger with little in the way of adjustment in standard trim

Pellet probe needs a firm push to load into the breech (not had chance to experiment with pellets).

Nubble

March 2018.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. GeeTee

GeeTee The unofficial champion for Diana Air Rifles!!

Well, that is a very comprehensive review 10/10, like you i have a the Zasdar CP1 & mine has an Armex Silencer with a SMK compact scope on top,these pistol's are great value for money,ideal for some back yard plinking/target practise without upsetting the neighbours.

Brock1Rgj and Nubble like this.
  3. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Good post Nubbs, I enjoyed reading that, thanks :thumb:

Ray

Nubble likes this.
  4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

I enjoyed reading that Nubble. :):thumb:

Nubble likes this.
  5. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thanks GeeTee. ;)

6. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you indeed Ray. :)

Likewise Mikey. Thank you too. ;)

PumpnGun likes this.
  7. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Nicely written review with nice clear pics Nubble - what more could we ask for? :D

I've got one of these too - I've only used it a couple of times. You've encouraged me to dig it out for another play - it's perfect for the back garden as it is very quiet and only makes a short, gentle pfft.

Nubble likes this.
  8. ibo7

ibo7 Big Poster

Brilliant review, I have the Kandar CP1 and it's great for the £60 I paid for it.

Nubble likes this.
  9. pjgtech

pjgtech Sleep, eat, work, eat, chillout, sleep, repeat.

Nice review, thanx. I recently got a CP2 myself which I'm very happy with. Enjoy the CP1 and let us know how you get on with it. :cool:

Nubble likes this.
  10. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Informative write up with pics Nubble, and great shooting:up:

Nubble likes this.
  11. rangelandrob

rangelandrob Engaging Member

Great review , I have a CP1 and have had the 2 stage trigger mod carried out, this much improves the trigger.
    I also find the grip less than ideal but am too incompetent at wood work to try and modify it.

Nubble likes this.
  12. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Excellent. Thank you for the kind comments Sky. Much appreciated. I'm glad in a way you kept hold of it coz now we can both enjoy a spot of back yard shooting.
    :up:
    Cheers.

Sky likes this.
  13. Nubble

Nubble Donator

I have now acquired a few different springs ready for a spot of trigger tweaking.
    I tested the trigger pull using a spring balance before tweaking and the sear was breaking at around 875g or roughly 1.8lbs

Pictured left to right;

Original spring.
    3mm stainless. 3mm steel. 2.8mm steel. 2.8mm carbon steel.

Compression rates left to right:

3mm Stainless =lightest
    3mm steel = stiffest
    2.8mm steel = slightly lighter than 3mm (stiffest)
    2.8mm carbon = lighter than 2.8mm but stiffer than 3mm stainless.

IMG_1755.JPG

After giving them a good squish test (technical term) I decided on the 2.8mm carbon.
    1st try I cut it a tad long on purpose but the break was still at around 600-700g
    I removed a Coil and a half and now have a clean break at around 300g.

I will shoot a few targets to get used to it over the next week and ultimately may end up trying the 3mm stainless with it being the lightest.

A quick dry firing test and it felt loads better. I shot 50 or so shots today and the difference is remarkable. Definitely an improvement.

I'll see how it goes.

Nubble.
    :thumb:

PumpnGun likes this.
  14. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Busy Member

great write up, very helpful.

Nubble likes this.
  15. zip ting

zip ting Engaging Member

Well I was almost convinced by a great review to go and buy one, if it had open sights .....
    Still a Crosman 2300T might yet fall into my lap :rolleyes:

16. zip ting

zip ting Engaging Member

I was almost tempted to go out and buy one by your great review ..... if it only had open sights.
    Still it just might be that a Crosman 2300T might fall into my lap :rolleyes:

I tried some grub screws with a slight countersink on the business end into which I silver soldered a small ball bearing these worked well.

17. Nubble

Nubble Donator

As standard it does actually have open sights.

I just removed mine as my eyesight is not up to shooting with open sights!

;)

18. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Trigger spring update...

After fiddling with various springs with varying rates of compression and diameter I have settled on a 3mm stainless steel spring for the trigger.

I find this gives enough 'rebound' if the first stage is aborted for the trigger to return to it's original position whilst retaining a nice, easy, light trigger pull (on mine) of around 320 grams (approx 12 oz). It also locates into the trigger nicely.

I sent one of these kits to @mikeyhall1 for testing (cheers Mikey :up:) and we both agree the transformation is fantastic.

I am offering a limited number of 'kits' which include two different springs and a replacement grub screw. If the thread is not visible then please PM me if interested.
    Available as a 1 or 2 spring kit.

Cheers

Nubble,
    :thumb:

19. NCB2734

NCB2734 Donator

Nubble's trigger kits transform the Pistol no end. I would recommend polishing the trigger sear also. to make it even smoother and more predictable... Highly recommended

Nubble likes this.
  20. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Also another thing to do with the CP is get the hammer out and wet/dry and polish both collars. Also the off centred angled part at the rear where the trigger engages - removing a fraction of the metal and then polishing will give a much smother hammer/trigger engagement.

The bolt requires plenty of molly and this along with the trigger mod results in one sweet gun.

Nubble likes this.