1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Compressor Cut Out, Yong Heng.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Cess monk, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Cess monk

Cess monk Active Member

Today I set up my mates compressor, we topped up a 3ltr and a 4ltr bottle to 300bar no problem. He then decoded to try and fill a 12ltr bottle from empty. After 10 minutes run time the motor shut off. We left it a while then it started up again. This happened 3 times, has anyone had this problem and I'm presuming there's an overheat stat on the motor itself. The compressor temp didn't go above 50c so I put it down to the motor,
    Any info is very welcome, cheers.

2. pjgtech

pjgtech If the Enemy is in range, so are You!

No expert on these, but almost certainly an auto shot off due to overheating?
    Theres a few threads on these (use the search function) and on the web generally.
    General advice is to change the oil before you do anything with one of these new compressors, as they tend to be full of swarf, cr*p, etc. Lots of peeps also set up larger water cooling systems, eg: just using a bucket quickly results in warm / hot water, (in the bucket) so the motor is then not cooled, so peeps use larger water reservoirs, etc. Cheers... :)

3. bigal

bigal Jedi.

and bags off ice in the water, anything cooler on a compressor helps, will take a very long time to fill a empty 12lit up. that's doing more that wots it's made for to do , gun filling, bottle top,ups . not hours filling. ;) al

johnbaz, pjgtech, ped and 2 others like this.
  4. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Agreed.

HW100Tuning likes this.
  5. Cess monk

Cess monk Active Member

It was the electric motor that was or must have been overheating, the compressor never got above 50 degrees. I wondered if anyone knew if there was an overheat stat on the electric motor.

6. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Straight Pride

What he said....

7. sagalout

sagalout Stoptober failed!

Didn't @Lev Levvin find it was a knackered pressure sensor on his?

8. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

My single piston compressor shut down and never started again after it’s first use

It was due to a knackered relay box

I got a refund and bought a bigger twin piston ‘Davv’ Compressor

Superb thing and really fast fill

Yes these have overheat sensors and will shut down if too hot.

What Ive done is to plumb mine into an outside tap... using American fridge rigid pipe and fittings...

I run cold water through the compressor and let it run out into the drains.

Stays at around 45-50c after running for 30 mins

sagalout likes this.
  9. Cess monk

Cess monk Active Member

Cheers everyone, lev, I had it piped from the mains and it worked a treat. I thought the shut off had to be electrical. Looks like he'll have to use it in shorter bursts untill he gets the bottle filled.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Lev Levvin likes this.
  10. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

These compressors are excellent for top-ups...

I never let my bottle drop below 170 bar, plug it in to the compressor and get it back up to 300 within 10 minutes.

Filling a 12L bottle from empty is a big task for a commercial dive shop compressor and way too much to expect these home compressors to handle.

It WILL do it, but it would take hours allowing 10 mins run time then 30 mins cool-off time

Don’t forget the water only cools the cylinder head, the motor and oil in crank case will remain very hot and cause shut downs if temp gets too high

ped likes this.
  11. Cess monk

Cess monk Active Member

Cheers lev

Lev Levvin likes this.
  12. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

My recommendation is to pay to have your tanks filled at a dive shop then don’t let pressures drop below 170bar before topping them up again.

The compressor will do this job perfectly

13. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

those compressors are designed to fill guns, not cylinders

14. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

Don’t forget to allow the compressor gauge to reach 170 bar before you crack open the bottle valve.

It happens pretty quick so keep an eye on the gauge

You need to equalise the bottle and compressor pressures before opening bottle valve, or the higher pressure in the bottle can whack into the piston and bend stuff

Not good!

15. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

Not these ones Monsta.

They’re rated to 5 litre bottles

16. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

Sorry... the single cylinder ones are rated at 3 litre bottles...

My twin cylinder is rated for five litres.

They’ll do much more ( 300 bar is same in 1litre bottle or a 12 litre) but you need to allow cooling time

17. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

Biggest balls ache with my Davv twin cylinder is it’s rated at 16amps...

So I have to run it through the 35a cooker socket or it trips out the power :facepalm:

I rigged up a caravan type hook up lead with blue and white sockets 98379A1A-5C6B-46B4-B8B3-77B11B04F912.jpeg 10C9C4F7-9126-44A8-BCF7-07F3344FD55D.jpeg

bigal and Tim_B like this.
  18. sagalout

sagalout Stoptober failed!

On another thread @Metradio recommends using a one way valve.

19. Thiel

Thiel Donator

my yh had a one way valve beetween cylinder and gauge
    it was no problem to open the tank valve first
    but the o-ring in the valve got smoked after some run time because it could not take the heat i guess. came out in small pieces and i did not replaced it. filling my guns now direct so need for it.
    without the check valve it did not start running when the bottle valve was openend first. humming noise from the motor but no movement - sounds really bad.

is that bigger davv compressor a 3 stage ?

Lev Levvin likes this.
  20. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

Don’t know what you mean by 3 stage?