1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Complete newbie (new to the sport) based in Coventry

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by terrier, Feb 16, 2014.

1. terrier

terrier Member

Hi, my name is Matthew & I'm 35 years old. Based in Coventry, I live with my wife and 14 year old stepdaughter.

We've just got back from The Shooting Show at Stoneleigh & had a go on the air rifles. It seems my stepdaughter is pretty good at it (well, she's a darn sight better than me, anyway!). We enjoyed it & we're interested in joining a club.

Looking around, we can see there's different clubs offering a whole range of different disciplines of airgun shooting. Is there much difference between the different disciplines?

Some of the terms meant nothing to me - I can take a guess at what "10 metre air pistol" means, but "Cowboy action" & "black powder revolver" have me completely baffled.

I'm thinking we'll just turn up to the club that offers the most different disciplines & have a go, see what suits us best. There's one about 30-40 minutes drive away that has quite a few options.

In the meantime is there any advice you can give? I really haven't got a clue about the sport, never fired an airgun before today & don't know a thing about it!

Thanks in advance.

2. neiled

neiled Donator

A warm welcome along to a really friendly forum Matt. I'm sure some of the Midlands lads will soon be along to share their words of wisdom with you :)

3. Dsmith

Dsmith Engaging Member

Hello mate and welcome. This is a great place to be for a great sport

4. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi Mathew. Welcome to THE forum, glad that you are getting into this great sport, lots of friendly folks on here only too willing to help you. Atb Paul.

5. milek

milek Honorary Member

Hi Terrier and welcome. If you live in Coventry then the closes course is the Greyhound at Longford. I can get there from south Birmingham (Bromsgrove) in 40 minutes so your journey should be a very short one. A few hours there will provide all the answers you need as the crowd over there are always ready to help.

6. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

Welcome Matthew, and congrats for finding the finest airgun forum on the net. You'll find everything you need to know on here. Very knowledgeable chaps -and ladies. The best tip I can give you is - get the Mrs. involved and interested;), you won't regret it when you,- and you will!- have to get the 'plastic' out, if you get my drift. Good luck buddy :cool::up:

7. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Welcome along

8. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

A very warm :welcome: to this merry band of guys n gals Matthew, it’s good to have you join us …………...… :thumb:

9. steevie dan

steevie dan Very Active

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum mate, enjoy and you'll soon find what you want. Steve

10. craigfishin

craigfishin Donator

Welcome matt , great guys on here , great idea to join a club , get some practice in on the plinking ranges while you decide on a specific event , hft is a good place to start I think personally

11. David M

David M Donator

Welcome along.......:up: Your stepdaughter will benefit from a compact pcp (precharged pnematic) rifle and get fairly good results with it straight away and hopefully cement her interest, I would be looking at a quality pcp between you to start with. As mentioned above, before splashing any cash, go along to the club recommended to you and see what the members use, have a hold and look through a few scopes and generally get a better idea what's involved and what you'd need. A decent pcp would be starting at £450-£600 plus scope at £50-£100 then charge bottle or pump £150-£300 then pellets.. 1-2p each.... Spring rifles tend to be a little heavier because of the internal actions and require an effort to continually cock through a session, but they don't ever require any charging gear and can be nearly as accurate out to 35-40 yards with some practice. Quality ones can be found for around £300......:up:

12. terrier

terrier Member

Blimey, I didn't realise there was a club so close by!

I'd seen one in Warwick (Wedgnock) that looked pretty good & I've sent them a note with a few enquiries - but that was before I realised there was a club 4 miles away!

I notice on their site it says, "Under NO circumstance will the club tolerate any illegal firearms or shooting of any live quarry." Is that specific to whilst you're at the club, or more generally? A shoot near me has a roost shoot (pigeons & squirrels) at the end of each pheasant season & I'd be interested in shooting live quarry for the pot with them (once I know what I'm doing).

Not a problem if that sort of thing is frowned upon there (I'm aware that shooting live quarry is a controversial subject), my stepdaughter and I enjoyed shooting at targets today & I would be more than happy to continue with that - mostly, I'm just keen to learn about the sport & have fun - I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

Purely whilst you are on club grounds. I have seen many times birds perched on the targets and it a lovely sight to see and it would be very sad if someone shot at them.

14. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Hi and welcome

15. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

Hello and welcome to out happy little band.

16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Welcome from another Coventry member. Greyhound is a good club nice plinking range to get to know your rifle over different ranges and a hft course too. If I can be of help in anyway being local give me a shout. I have a pcp and a couple of spring guns you are welcome to try out. I also have a chrono so you can check your guns are within the legal limit.

I have ample hunting grounds and can hopefully give you advise on hunting too as you have expressed an interest in this field but then you will get all this advise on this fine forum. If I can help in anyway (can advise you where not to buy a gun locally too) give me a shout.

17. TOXICMONKEY

TOXICMONKEY Engaging Member

Welcome brother hope you enjoy the forum

18. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

hi and WELCOME to the forum :D:welcome:

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Before you do anything else read Jackroadkill's excellent sticky "New to shooting, some frequently asked questions" at the top of the Anything Airgun Related section .
    atb
    Dag

20. terrier

terrier Member

Thanks. I had thought as much, but wanted to check. I don't want to upset people on my first day (or ever)! I wouldn't dream of shooting anything without landowner's permission, regardless of where I was - but I certainly don't relish the thought of shooting birds or mammals just for the sake of it.

Live quarry or not, for the most part my interest is in learning about the sport & developing the skills anyway - partly for myself, partly for my stepdaughter. Thanks for your help & I look forward to seeing you all.