1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Colourblind

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by wolfy68, Jan 12, 2018.

1. wolfy68

wolfy68 Busy Member

Yesterday i had to visit hospital and use one of those damn pay and display machines.After spending 5 minutes or so at the only machine in the whole car park inputting my cars details,how long i wish to stay etc a fairly large que had developed behind me.Then it tells me to press the green button to get my ticket, panic sets in,which f#cking button is green and i know if i press the wrong button i will be cancelling the transaction and have to start all over again.
    I did the the only thing i could think of and embarrassingly i had to ask for help."Which button is green", i asks the que behind me to which one bright spark chirps, "The one that's not red".I explained that i'm colourblind and an arm came past me to push the correct button.
    Anybody else colourblind and why can't these machine manufacturers but numbers on buttons instead of colours? It's a disability thats not recognised even though health and safety issues could arise in the workplace because of it.

2. UnionJackJackson

UnionJackJackson Donator

Red/Green colourblind here too ;) and yes it can be a PITA. I just punch the most worn looking button if the colours are faded or lighting is bad. Mine's hereditary, and weirdly only mother's son's can get it, so my grandad on my mum's side, his grandad on his mum's side etc. If I have a daughter who has a boy ... he wont be flying jets for the RAF :(

3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

I feel for you both, must be awful and yes, its hardly recognised.

4. UnionJackJackson

UnionJackJackson Donator

Its not too bad ... at least I can tell the difference between Red and Grey ;)

5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Well that's good lol

6. wolfy68

wolfy68 Busy Member

I'm colorblind throughout the whole spectrum.Grass is only green because that's what i'm told.To me it's the same colour as Oranges and darker greens are in the same shade as reds and browns.Usually it's guesswork if i get a colour right.My Grandad on my Mothers side was colourblind too.

7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Blimey! I guess you're used to it? I would hate that! I just couldn't imagine.

8. UnionJackJackson

UnionJackJackson Donator

You can work round it to a degree. I spent 10yrs in electronics dealing with the resistor colours daily, and it was very rarely a problem but did require some effort. Instead of just thinking "thats brown, thats green, thats orange, thats red" I remembered the specific colours for each cable manufacturer I was using at the time. You can use brightness, saturation/greyness, reflectivity and other stuff I cant easily explain, doesnt matter as long as you can tell they are different in some way. You should have seen my boss's face when I told him 3yrs after starting! :D

I thought I should put the BASC in my sig in green, so I hovered over the forum colour picker and picked all sorts of browns, greys and even a red before the popup said "dark green." Took a minute longer than someone who can just go straight to it but job done* :)

* Please dont tell me its brown :rolleyes:

9. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

They are normally marked up as well as coloured but another way to tell which is green and which is red are the height that the buttons are at. They're closer to the screen if they're the Green button, roughly chest height. You'd normally have to reach down to hit the Red cancel button often near the return coins hole.

Of course if you're a midget with dyslexia, the above will be of no use to you at all.:laff::mao::tea::thumb:

10. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Local bomb disposal is recruiting if you fancy a challenge?

11. UnionJackJackson

UnionJackJackson Donator

12. wolfy68

wolfy68 Busy Member

Nope, not brown to me,looks like a dirty orange prisoner jump suit,but what do i know:D.But like you said, you do adapt and learn to overcome it someway so as not to let on to others that I have a laughable disability.Even at 50 years old i still get the "what colour is that?" question from those that find it amusing.

13. UnionJackJackson

UnionJackJackson Donator

Tell me about it. How about the "what ... so you see everything in black and white like an old movie?" :rolleyes:

14. Rob-GB

Rob-GB Busy Member

I got diagnosed as colour blind while at school which then led to me being told a career in the navy was out.
    Later on I was told that I was colour perceptive and explained like this......
    "If you're driving in fog you will see the red traffic light but not the green one"
    I have driven in fog many times and always could see what colour they were.
    I do have problems seeing red lettering on black or dark blue backgrounds but no problems seeing navigation lights either at sea or in the air!
    I feel for those who are properly colour blind and I think that old look at the dots and see what number stands out test should be binned.

Rob.

15. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

[video=youtube;_d0lyB9oLuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0lyB9oLuo[/video]

you should try these

16. MancTony

MancTony Busy Member

I hope the video is genuine, I hope the glasses are genuine and I hope his mum is single. Ring-a-ding dong.

17. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Yes mate! Would opt for a blindfold though!

18. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

@monsta41 (Carl) as soon as I read this thread I wondered if wolfy had heard of the EnChroma glasses and was going to post a video about them. :up:

I'm not colourblind thank goodness but I can imagine it not being a nice thing to have to live with at times so I wish everyone with it all the best. This is the video I watched which brought a tear to my eye from the guys reaction....

[video=youtube;XSD7-TgUmUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSD7-TgUmUY[/video]

19. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Thats heart warming mate - lovely!

20. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

they are genuine, vids all over the place about them.