1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Collectable Pellets Boxs And Tins

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by whitevanman574, Sep 11, 2019.

1. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

pellets.jpg i was thinking can anyone print pellets on cardboard ??? and copy them >???

anyway via this good forums member he sent me this to pop up to torment you collectors :-}

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
    talent, rabbitwrecker, Shoto1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Troubledshooter

Troubledshooter Active Member

Interesting collection of pellet and slug boxes, but one box missing is the Webley .25 pellet box, the only Webley box and label I have reproduced. There are only a few in existence and are easy to detect, as the box is fabricated from cereal box cardboard with remnants of the original printing on the inner surface.
    Any box can be reproduced if you have an original, and the time and patience to dissect it, along with suitable materials to fabricate it, but it's not worth the time and effort in many cases, as pellet boxes often appear for sale on Ebay and particularly at arms fairs such as Binners Kempton Cornucopia of all things Airgun and Military.

3. pjbingham

pjbingham Prime Kentish Beef

Wow! I’d love to own even a quarter of those :cool:

norman likes this.
  4. norman

norman Donator

Hi David,

We must not forget the Melbourne Airgun Fayre too....I saw the very box (.25) you mention there once..:finger:

5. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I came across a whole tray of collectable pellets boxes in an antiques shop. Nearly got suckered as I knew they were way too cheap.

They were repros.

Dave

6. norman

norman Donator

There's some clever begger's about...how did you tell they were repro's Dave..?

7. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Just being around antiques since I was a boy. You get a feel for some things. That and the dealer was being very evasive.

Dave

Geezer likes this.
  8. norman

norman Donator

I find it quite difficult...what do you think of the repro box's on Protek's site..?

whitevanman574 likes this.
  9. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

They're well made. Quite pricey, wouldn't fool many collectors. I've got a few that I acquired as a job lot, they are very close. Had me for a while.

Dave

10. norman

norman Donator

The reason I ask is...

There are some 1950/60's box's out there...nearly 70 years old...that are mint...I know because I have some.I know the history/provenance of them...so if I offered you some would you think they were copies because they were too"fresh"..:shrug:

whitevanman574 likes this.
  11. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

Look good next to bsa.s collection copy or not ...i wouldnt care if its just for me on display

12. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

A hypothetical question, gets a hypothetical answer. Not necessarily.

Dave

13. norman

norman Donator

So for airgun memorabilia collectors looking for old pellet box's but without your experience (being around antiques since you were a boy) can you advise us what we should be looking for to stop us paying our hard earned dosh on reproduction box's....:shrug:.....:up:

14. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

These aren't great pictures norm, but I've been collecting quack medicine packaging and contents for nearly twenty years. Can you smell a rat in these two shots, there is one.

Old medicine boxes, tins, packets https://imgur.com/gallery/ww64dNc

Generally, if something is way cheaper than it should be, that's a start. With the availability of the internet, there's no such thing as ignorance these days. Although, I know a dealer who bought a vase for a fiver at a boot sale and went on to sell it auction for a couple of grand this year, so there aren't any rules.

The big give away though is going to be the printing. Virtually everything that has been printed at home will not be solid colours like litho printing of old. A glass or loupe will help.

Paper that has been printed recently will be different, old labels will be on very thin paper if stuck on rather than printed directly. Old paper very often has course fibres within it, these are often a different colour to the base paper. The paper will have aged as well. In a former career, I bought and sold Norwich school watercolour paintings as a sideline. I could often find a bad un from the type of paper.

Repros will often be from scanned originals, the scanner picks up everything and unless the reproducer is extremely good at post processing it all comes out in the print. Finger marks, glue smudges, dirt etc. Again a glass is your friend.

Grey card stock is different now, a lot of fakes will be home made in small quantities so they will be made from what's available.

Glue ages, very hard to replicate that. Not impossible though. But not really applicable for the sums involved.

And then we have touch and smell. If something feels like it hasn't been softened by age, it probably hasn't.

Like I said, there's nothing really definitive, I don't specifically collect pellets or their packaging, I have a few. I have been caught out though. Always though when I think I'm onto too good a deal.

Then as you mentioned, there's provenance.
    There are people in our world, I would buy off unseen without a care. Then there are those I wouldn't.

Now look at this one.

Box's indigestion pills https://imgur.com/gallery/wKbaI0E

Over a hundred years old, completely intact with its contents. The inner tub has been protected by the outer box, so yes I know mint examples can exist. I paid twenty quid for this, expensive for a tub of rennies, but chicken feed compared to Pellet boxes.

Dave

Gary Jones and Brandon James like this.
  15. norman

norman Donator

Interesting....we have a fair bit of old packaging (including myself :rolleyes:) here at our house too as my wife collects old kitchenware/packaging...I guess the reasons why people pay so much money for old pellet tin's/box's is that they were just "container's" for the product (pellets) that you wanted to use..the packaging got thrown away or used as target practice.!!

A couple of years ago I walked into the local hardware shop (closed now) just down from Melbourne British Legion where the Belltarget club shoot & we hold airgun Fayre's twice a year...there is a gun shop the other end of town...the shop was built from tin sheets & the inside was like that sketch from the two Ronnies (fork handles)...the guy was very much old school too...I asked if he had any pellets I could buy..he said you mean "slugs"...I said yes & he disappeared to the back of the shop.He came back with a couple of pristine box's of pellets from the 1960's..he said he hasn't sold any "slug's" since that new gun shop opened 30 years ago..:eek:

I asked if I could purchase any more ...he said yes how many do you want?To cut a long story short I bought them all...they had been stood on his shelves for nearly 50+ years (family business) so these things do survive & in "as new" condition.

I couldn't spot the "rat" in your picture...difficult to tell without seeing it in the flesh & handling them as you say.:up:

Brandon James and pjbingham like this.
  16. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Yep, you got very lucky.

The rat is the packaged bottle of sloans. Remember a few years ago, all the young bucks were sporting highly groomed taches? The guy on the sloans advert had a superb example, suddenly they were turning up at every antiques fair going. Happily for me, I have a real one. Bottle that is, I know women that can grow better moustaches than myself.

Dave

17. norman

norman Donator

:D:D:D

I've had mine since I was 14....:)

I'm bringing it with me to Norfolk...so you will know me when I drop in on the Belltarget club..:thumb:

18. Troubledshooter

They are so well made that one of them did initially fool a long time collector, until he examined it more closely. If you put two similar boxes next to each other you can soon tell they are fakes as the dirt and oil marks will be identical on both.
    I started to make repro pistol boxes for my own unboxed pistols prior to the Protek versions, and made some at the request of other collectors, but all mine had distinctive differences in the make up and coverings of the boxes, I used black paper on the majority, and there were subtle differences to the labels, but as soon as the repro versions Protek now sells started appearing at Bisley and other fairs, nobody wanted mine any more, so make what you will of that. They've queered the market for many future Webley Air Pistol collectors.
    The Webley .25 pellet box labels as well as the Webley Valvespout oil can labels, which I also reproduced in smaller size to the original, have distinctive differences, in that the apostrophes before and after the name Webley are in what I call the 99-99 configuration, whereas the originals are in the 66-99 configuration. It really is a question of buyer beware where collectables are concerned.

Brandon James and norman like this.
  19. norman

norman Donator

Thanks David,

It will be interesting in years to come when seller's of "boxed" examples of Webley pistols describe their sales as original...box's included...some might know/realize they are duplicates/copies but other's new to the scene wouldn't have a clue..:(

20. Troubledshooter

:(
    Therein lies the problem :(

norman likes this.