1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

cmos sensor in the Yukon Photon

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Harwich Shooter, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Do any of you DIY boffins know what sensor is inside the yukon photon? I would dearly love to find out and maybe obtain one on a board camera so that I can play with scopeless and add on projects.

Buying CMOS board cameras from China is a bit hit and miss to say the least.

(I have pretty much exhausted the CCD line of board cameras)

Ta very muchly.

Paul

2. blueheckle

blueheckle Donator

As far as ive read its a 1/4" cmos chipped camera.

3. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks blueheckle. I'd love a bit more detail if possible.

4. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Bump. Anyone know? Just curious.

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

As far as I know nobody has taken one apart and identified the camera. I imagine that Yukon have set the camera up specifically for night vision use probably through menu settings but possibly with custom firmware. Since they have a mono screen there is no need for the camera to work in colour at any time which should help in tweaking the settings.
    I don't think that there is much to choose between CMOS and CCD cameras in terms of low light performance. If you really want to try some out you could have a look at 'edogpro' on ebay, they do list a few but watch out as some are 1/4" sensors or for more choice they have a sister company Security Camera2000 http://www.securitycamera2000.com/ Both are, in my experience, reliable sellers and SC2000 may well be able to offer some suggestions if you email them or they do also have a UK phone number.

6. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks Terry, a bit addictive or what. I am looking for a good quality cmos or ccd board camera for my scopeless build. I have already made it but the present camera, when switching on, flickers on/off 4 or 5 times before stabilizing. This is very annoying. I am using a plastic project box and a 135mm camera lens. All good so far but I am in the process of moving house to sunny suffolk (Brantham) in the next couple of weeks so all (regretfully) of my little projects are now boxed up. Off out shooting tomoz so no real complaints.

7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

SC2000 had a couple of CMOS board cameras which looked to be suitable for nv use and should be fine for a scopeless build. Personally I think I might risk up to maybe £20 on an unknown unit but if it were going to cost any more then I think I'd go with the e700 and have a fair degree of certainty of good performance.
    The flickering you had might be the automatic gain sorting itself out as it adjusts to the light level although it could be other things. If you can set the AGC to 'off' or 'manual' you might be able to get some improvement.
    What sort of ranges are you shooting at with the 135mm lens?
    You should get on fine in Brantham, they're quite used to Essex boys being so close to the border :)

8. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks Terry, coming from Harwich I have never considered myself an Essex Boy. I married a Brantham girl so I have good taste.
    Thanks for the tip with the AGC. I am shooting around the 32 metre range and the rabbits don't half look big :)

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I have (if I remember correctly) a 'spare' 135mm f2.8 lens laying around somewhere and my intention is to try some surgery on it, removing the rearmost lens group to see what effect that has on the focal length. I believe that this has been done with reasonable success so I'm keen to try it as this should also improve the light transmission of the lens although it may mean that the camera sensor needs to be up inside the lens body.

10. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Good luck with that Terry. I will post some pics of mine once I have completed the move to the Sunny side. :)

11. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

I've been messing with a couple of cmos board cams,one was a 1/3 imx 138,and t'other was advertised as a 1/3 but I'm 99% sure it's a 1/4 imx 139....
    Anyway I did a quick bit of filming using the 1/4 imx 139cmos based spotter and a pentax 12.5-75mm lens,apologies for the shakey footage but it wasn't easy trying to hold the dvr and adjust the lens on the spotter.
    First part is lit up by cheap ir from the garden camera,t20 comes in at around 36 secs,almost dropped the damn dvr trying to plug the t20 in :eek: :D
    There seems to be a 1/2.8 and a 1/2.5 format imx 138 cmos board around as well as the 1/3 but I haven't yet managed to buy just the bare board,at the moment I've only found them in cctv cameras,might have to buy one just to see if it's any better than the imx 139.
    Might get the tripod out tomorrow night and film some footage up the field...anyways,some shakey footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHFu1ClqJU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  12. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks Weebster. Couple of questions/requests. Can you post a link to where you purchased your cmos camera? What distance where you filming at?

many thanks.

13. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

The house in the vid is around 50 yds and the tree around 67 yds
    got the first one from this place http://www.dhgate.com/product/mini-...rd-security/157747477.html#s1-16-1|4139453168

Search for it on ebay as he's on there as well (might be a different name though) and it was £5 cheaper on ebay than dhgate,I don't believe the 1/3 stated on his listing on dhgate,having compared to a 1/3 imx sensor the 139 is smaller.....and everyone else seems to list the 139 as a 1/4 format.
    Failing that it's the imx 139 cmos sensor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  14. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

15. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

16. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

Yes I see the imx 138 is now available with osd,the 1/3 standard (1000tvl) imx 138 I had didn't perform as well as the 139,will be interesting to see whats on the menu. ;)

17. blueheckle

blueheckle Donator

Would this cam be any good for a spotter chaps tks.

18. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

That footage above is from my spotter....tried the pentax lens on a sony mini box cam tonight (icx 639 ccd 1/3 sensor) and the sony didn't like it :eek:...it would only focus on the max 75mm setting on the lens by closing down the iris which made for a darker picture....odd that the pentax works fine with the cmos at max 75mm and f1.8 but the sony was higher on the f number before the tree came into focus....will have to try it at a greater distance than 67-70yds with the sony.
    Will have to get another 5in screen first though as trying to focus on the 2in dvr screen wasn't easy on the old eyeballs....even with nose bino's :D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  19. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Sounds like your lens isn't quite the correct distance from the Sony sensor, when you've stopped the lens down and increased the depth of field you can get it in focus. My guess is that it needs to be a touch closer.

20. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

I was thinking that,the sony mini box camera has a threaded fitting that screws in/out and is secured by a small screw,this does away with the need for a 'c' mount 5mm spacer as the lens screws into the threaded collar and can then be adjusted nearer/further from the ccd sensor and secured via the screw....I can't remember the last time I used it but I may have adjusted that part and not reset it for c mount :eek:....got a panasonic board cam with 'c' mount ability here,will check with that one later :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014