1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Climbing Up The Ladder Of Learning

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by Roger Wilkes, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Roger Wilkes

Roger Wilkes Roger

16 months ago,I bought my 1st airgun for 44+ years (Walther Classus springer( it/I did not work then we do now))
    After 5 months bought an AA400 carbine after a further 7 months bought an HW95
    2 months ago with no pre planning joined a " mainly" HFT club MVAC .

Have practised/ tinkered/ fettled a bit and also gt through about 8000 pellets

I now have had 2 club HFT events ( and 2 practice events( ish))

My 1st event with the AA400 Hawke 6-24 x50 AO I scored 29
    My 2nd event using the HW95 and Hawke compact 4-16 x44 I scored 41

Ok not the best in the world,but looking back with all the trials and tribulations someone shooting solo could have gone through it now seems quite an amazing progression.

Lots of further steps required to even see the top step in the hazzy distance of the sport/ accuracy but it's nice now to be progressing forward.

If not for this forum and so much advice it is likely the lonely Classus would be locked away gathering dust.

THANK EVERY ONE WHO HAS HELPED
    Roger

pjgtech, pbrown, robthedog and 5 others like this.
  2. Victor old foggy

Victor old foggy Member

you need to practice at the different distances,to learn your aim points,if you go on shooting the breese web site and look up fht then anston hft targets you can download them which covers the 45 through to 8yrds,they are great to shoot,at the same time you measure the different aim point with your scope say 35mm at 35yrds on my scope at 8x its 7/8 so just under one mil,takes some time to do this, so at your next hft shoot, you think its aprox 35 yrds and look at the kill size of target and its either 40,0r 35mm measuring the kill looks to be the smaller size measure 7/8 so you then know the distance is 35 yrds, you also need to read size of kills at the different distances say 15-19mm the smallist kill size and they look small you know they cannot be any closer then 13 yards or further then 25 yrds, so again you measure the kill sizes at this ranges on my scope ay 8x say 20yr4ds its 7/8 m again just under 1m this might sound like a lot of effort,but if you want to shoot well, you must be able to judge distance to within 1/2 yards or the pellet will either go high or low,hope this helps,people are normaly very helpful,

Roger Wilkes likes this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

I’d be happy with a score of 41 with a HW95 on my second go!

Keep it going Roger!

Roger Wilkes and Gary Jones like this.
  4. pbrown

pbrown Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

That's excellent news Roger and nothing all wrong with those scores, far better than my first couple of HFT events. You've joined a good club, great shooting grounds and lots of knowledgeable members to learn from.

Stick at it and keep us updated, look forward to hearing about your progress. :up:

Roger Wilkes likes this.
  5. Jack's Da

Jack's Da Donator

A lad at our place scored 7 last week. Yes 7. He bloody loved it and will be back with hopefully some of the kind words of advice taken on board.

Getting into the 40s with a Springer is a good effort especially for your first go with it. My advice would be to simply enjoy it and pick things up as you go along for now. Never lose sight of the fun side of the sport.

Roger Wilkes, pbrown and john79 like this.
  6. Roger Wilkes

Roger Wilkes Roger

I have officially become a member of MVAC, so this wee went over the barrier of both ranges( in and out) to study the targets / range cheating a bit - but without doing so unclear if all the targets work .
    Using my HW95/ Airmax compact prone palm on gunbag.
    Anyway, had the outside range to myself spent an hour getting the feel of all ( many) targets/ where to hit them ( some had t be hit high).
    To finish up I shot at all sub 40yd re-set on targets and spinners back to the last single 8yd.
    I only missed the 8yd, ft t 2nd shot.
    Odd it seemed a bit out of body, so simple/ straightforward it's as if someone else was shooting.
    Quite taken aback after many months of frustration previously

pbrown and Victor old foggy like this.
  7. pjgtech

pjgtech How many days till Xmas?

Well done that man, glad you are making progress, but enjoy it 1st and foremost... :thumb:
    I've never done any comps, maybe one day... :)

Roger Wilkes likes this.