1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning patch stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Danny_HoldoverTV, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Danny_HoldoverTV

Danny_HoldoverTV Engaging Member

Morning all, any advice on how to remove a stuck cleaning patch half way down my HW100 .177 barrel? The first go on my new Napier pull through and the loop cord snapped. I've looked for some wooden dowel but couldn't find any with a small enough diameter. Not keen on the idea of using a threaded bar as it will probably damage the rifling. It's pretty stuck in there,

cheers,
    danny

2. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

Have you tried dry firing it to see if it will "shoot" out?
    andy.

3. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, you could try what andy says but i would rather use a proper rod type barrel cleaner than a pull through as long as its made from brass and alloy, mine is a bisley set. i never use brush only wool mop. pop in to your local rfd, as for the pull through if you bought local take it back or phone napiers at their didcot oxfordshire office/ warehouse

4. Danny_HoldoverTV

Danny_HoldoverTV Engaging Member

Yep tried shooting it out. Not sure my RFD will have the kit as it's only a tackle shop that does a bit of air guns on the side. Anyone in somerset area able to help??

5. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

Wire coat hanger with insulation tape well wrapped round the sharp end.One of those car aerials made of fibre glass.I know these sound billy botchit but needs must.
    andy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I've used bamboo skewers before, you'll need two or three, cut the pointed ends off sqaure otherwise they jam into each other in the barrel.

Dave

7. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Whatever you do make sure you push it back through the breech, if it reaches the choke you could have a serious problem.
    Brass rod is your best bet, wrap the end in tape and gently tap it back through. If that doesn't work then it's a job for a gunsmith, if you get stuck you could try Julian at Bond Guns, he's based in Bridgwater. I believe there's a place in Wellington or Avalon in Street, Rules in Somerton as well.
    Good luck.

8. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Have you got a rc model shop near ? They will have plenty of different size carbon rod that should do the trick. :)

9. ste

ste Posting Addict

can you get hole of an old fishing rod the top tip is a perfect size to remove things from a barrel

10. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

4mm dowel either wood, plastic or carbon, or a decent cleaning rod set!

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Hope you don't use these in PCPs,since you can't access the breech to get the rod down,cleaning muzzle to breech will cause some problems.thats why pull through kits are preffered.

12. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

As said a wooden or plastic dowel will be the best bet so as not to damage the rifling, be careful when pushing the patch out of the breech end, as there is a small O ring in a recess in the breech. If you dislodge it, you'll have very erratic power and accuracy issues.

You might want to check the O ring is still in tact anyway, as if the patch is snug, it could already have dislodged the O ring, for now concentrate on clearing the barrel, remove the barrel if need be ;)

13. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i have been shooting airguns over 50 years and a welder / engineer by trade , my alloy rod and wool mop are very suitable for my PCPs and i have 4 . using a wool mop and white spirit from the barrel end does not damadge the internal seal or the rifling on a pcp as long as you are carefull not to go past the seal so i mark the rod exactley where the pellet stops when loaded. as for cleaning a spring air rifle barrel and i have done so many it would be the same way but from the breech end and i dont pull it back and forth prefere to take out barrel end and start again, as many do when buying a new rifle to give first clean to get rid of any grease/oil swarf etc so with a pcp i put tissue in from breech to just past seal and clean as indicated. my S410 has not had a clean since and had over 5,000 pellets through and shoots spot on.

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Not everyone would know or think about the seals in a pcp thats why I advised a pull through because they are pretty fool proof...unless the cord snaps :eek:
    I've always been taught and advised to clean in the direction the pellet shoots,thats why I use pull through kits in all my guns,including springers where i have the choice to use a rod kit or a pull through,I always pick the pull through.

When i get a new gun,I always clean the barrel to get rid of all the stock grease from the factory,then I clean it when swapping pellets or when the accuracy starts to drop.

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Cleaning from the muzzle used to be a real problem when steel cleaning rods were issued (in the military) as they could easily damage the crown and cause erratic accuracy. Plastic coated rods and those made of soft materials should not cause any such problems.
    Air rifles don't suffer from the fouling and corrosion problems that can happen with guns using copper jacketed bullets and primer/powder. Modern primers are non-corrosive and the powders burn very well so this is not such a problem as it might have been years ago although care should be taken if using ex-military ammo.
    The issue of when and how often to clean an air rifle is a topic which has been discussed many times before and is a matter of personal preference, certainly once the new barrel has been thoroughly degreased.
    My personal preference, after many years of shooting centrefire rifles, is to clean from the breech end and I prefer to use a rod. This is not such an issue with air rifles which should clean easily using patches until they come out perfectly clean, this can take some time. Whether you use a rod or a pull through the patches should fit the bore well but should not be so tight as to make it difficult to get them through the bore, best to start with small ones and slowly increase the size until they feel right.

16. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Whether using a rod or a pull through, care must always be taken when cleaning barrels, i have seen the odd pull through that has had a steel crimp to hold the loop in place :eek:

Also as i mentioned earlier, breech O rings can get dislodged with rods or pull through's

The steel rod and wool mop are fine for air gun barrels, i must say i prefer a pull through but, i find the rod method quicker ;)

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I make my pull through kits out of 100 lb test monofilament,twisted and with a loop at the end,have tried my hardest to snap one but can't.Im not sure what the napier ones are made from,looks like plastic coated wire from the pics?

18. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Get a 1/8" brazing, or aluminium alloy welding, rod from local friendly neighbourhood welder.
    Soft enough to avoid barrel damage but tough enough to clear the wad. If it doesn't move easy don't compact it. Thread the rod end to screw into the wad and rip out bit by bit.
    Works on other jammed items too. A bloke brought me one with a few pellets "up the spout"

19. dengiebob

dengiebob Active Member

no you all got it wrong the best thing is what i use which is a length of 2.4mm aluminum TIG wire which is used in welding and will even rod stuck pellets and never damage the bore as its so soft i have all ways got a rod of it handy even up at our range hut of the farm i live on

20. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Nobody got anything wrong, just different methods