1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning A Bone Handled Knife.

Discussion in 'Knives & Tools' started by Redcap 114, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

From Hartlepool, now in, Leigh-on-Sea Essex
    Hi all,

My mate in Scarborough, sent me a knife that he had purchased for £2 at a Car Boot Sale ten years ago, he knew that I had started collecting knives and decided to give me this one @walter Often.

I wanted a knife like this as I used to carry one all the time in the late 50s early 60s when in the Boy Scouts.

This knife looks a lot shorter than the one that I used to carry, and it used to go everywhere with me, maybe it’s because I was smaller then, who knows?

I have a question for you knife buffs, what is the best way to bring the handle back to life? I would also be grateful for any tips on bringing the blade back to life.

He also sent me a pen knife made from a 12 gauge shell casing. He is a bloody good mate, he is looking for more knives for me at his local car Boot Sales in Scarborough.

Best regards.
    Les.

822D5F75-1B79-4B2C-B6AB-642077C81F92.jpeg 7475C0B7-B4E6-4066-8701-3752BFC08811.jpeg

2. walter Often

walter Often Busy Member

Well done Les! Brilliant mate. I'm pleased for you my friend. Proper strong old knife mate. I was waiting for this. I reckon that will clean up really well Les. I'd like to see some pics when you've refurbished it mate.
    "Make new friends but keep the old, the new are silver, the old are gold"
    Well done to your old mate Les.
    All the best.
    Walter

2506sendero and Redcap 114 like this.
  3. walter Often

walter Often Busy Member

I don't know if this site might help you Les? Worth a look mate I reckon.
    Respect
    Walter Screenshot_20190821-181309_Chrome.jpg

Redcap 114 likes this.
  4. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

I would use a stiff toothbrush for the handle, maybe with isoproponyl rather than water, but I would cover the leather bits with tape while I cleaned the bone. I used to have one as a gun and scout, it's probably still in the family with a brother.

I think it is antler not bone.

Regards
    Peter

Redcap 114 and walter Often like this.
  5. walter Often

walter Often Busy Member

Nice one Peter. Les will definitely find the answer very soon on this forum for sure.
    Walter

6. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

I use antler quite a bit in pens I make and it is very porous, that's why I wouldn't use water, but it has probably seen a lot of water in it's life time :thumb:

Regards
    Peter

Redcap 114 and walter Often like this.
  7. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Thanks Walter,

Brian is a real star, believe it or not, we have never actually met, we have been mates on the Northern Relic Hunters Forum for several years now.

We Skype every week and that way we are able to show each other our recent acquisitions and when I was Detecting, my finds, Brian still detects and still shows me his finds when we are Skyping. He is brilliant. I have done similar for him, I’ve purchased the odd things that I know he wanted and I’ve sent them to him FOC. It’s superb to have a mate like him.

If you Skype Walter, then give me a shout and we can have a natter.

All the best mate.
    Les.

walter Often likes this.
  8. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Thanks Peter.

Regards.
    Les.

9. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Many thanks Walter.

Regards.
    Les.

10. walter Often

walter Often Busy Member

Over to you Peter.....respect mate. I know how to get a good edge on a blade......and I thoroughly enjoy it mate. But I definitely wouldn't know how to best bring that handle back to life without having to do some research mate. A great thread Les has started here. I look forward to watching it.
    Nice one mate.
    Walter

PW1 and Redcap 114 like this.
  11. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Thanks Peter,

I think that you are probably right, antler yes, it’s just because I’ve called them bone handled since I was a kid, definitely antler.

Best regards.
    Les.

PW1 and 2506sendero like this.
  12. walter Often

walter Often Busy Member

I've heard of it Les.....but I don't know what it is. I'll have a look up mate. I reckon that blade would come up nice with wet n dry and a metal polish mate. I'd love be let loose on the blade with my Lansky and leather strop! Enjoy.
    All the best
    Walter

Redcap 114 likes this.
  13. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Many thanks Walter.

All the best.
    Les.

walter Often likes this.
  14. ballkeeper

ballkeeper Engaging Member

very nice knife, i do have a liken for bone/antler handles on knifes [only have 1 at the mo]

Redcap 114 likes this.
  15. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Thanks Ballkeeper,

Yes mate, I like them to, just something about them, makes them feel like a real mans knife.

Regards.
    Les.

ballkeeper and 2506sendero like this.
  16. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Engaging Member

8D4C6377-0E70-4B53-B2DA-06EC146C62DE.jpeg Some good old hot soapy water and a scotch bright pad will bring it up nice then let it all dry out then try and get hold of some leather oil like neatsfoot oil and coat the whole handle let it soak in then wipe off try that here’s one I’ve just made to order with niolox stainless blade and antler and left handed.

17. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Thanks for the tips Bladesmith

I will give that a try mate. That’s a lovely knife that you have made there, it looks really superb.

Thanks again.
    Regards.
    Les.

Bladesmith likes this.
  18. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Good tips from @Bladesmith there, the knife is so old and has had so much use, that the antler will be self stabilised with blood & sweat anyway, so the antler will not be damaged by water ingress.
    A nice looking old school knife that has been used as God intended :cool:

Bladesmith and Redcap 114 like this.
  19. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

It certainly is Paul

Thanks mate, I had one of those when I was about 12 onwards, I thought that they were longer, but it was probably just because I was smaller. I’m am so pleased to get the chance to own one again, especially since it was a gift from my mate in Scarborough, a lovely gesture on his part as he only paid £2 for it on a boot sale 10 years ago.

Why don’t you send me some photographs of some of the knives that you intend to sell Paul, with prices and I will see what I can do?

PS. I covered the leather bits with Renapur Wax, and they are looking good.

All the best.
    Les.

2506sendero likes this.