1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Chrono results - first go with my new chronoscope.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jackroadkill, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

So, a few weeks after the Prochrono Digital landing I finally made it outside during daylight without it piddling with rain and blowing a gale. I mounted the chrono on an old camera tripod that I had and tested my HW80 and my BSA Airsporter Stutzen, both of which have Welsh Willy tuning kits fitted. Both were tested with RWS Superdome pellets and the shots were taken approximately three inches from the first sensor.

Results:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63, colspan: 3"]HW80 / RWS Superdome 14.5gr[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]Pellet weight / gr[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]14.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]Shot number[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]Velocity / fps[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]Power / fpe[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]1[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]588[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.13[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]2[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]593[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.32[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]4[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]596[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.43[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]6[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]595[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]7[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]589[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.17[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]8[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]602[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.67[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]9[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]592[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.28[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]10[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]608[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11.9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Average[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]593[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]11.35[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Extreme spread / range[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]20[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]0.77[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Standard deviation[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65, colspan: 3"]BSA Airsporter / RWS Superdome 14.5gr[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]Pellet weight / gr[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]14.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]Shot number[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]Velocity / fps[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]Power / fpe[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]1[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]516[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.57[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]2[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]509[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.34[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]3[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]517[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]4[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]513[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.47[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]6[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]520[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]7[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]515[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.54[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]9[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]520[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]10[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]509[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]8.34[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Average[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]515[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]8.54[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Extreme spread / range[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]11[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]0.36[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Standard deviation[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65"]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Both of these were about where I expected them to be. The only slightly worrying thing was that the HW80 had two shots that were a bit higher than the others (shots 8 and 10), so I may need to get out and do a more exhaustive test. They certainly widened the extreme spread and standard deviation scores for the HW80.

One thing this does prove is that the Welsh Willy kits give a good level of consistency; the 80 has probably had 250 - 300 shots through it since the tune-up and the BSA about 130.

Anyway, first impressions of the chronoscope are very good; it's very simple to use, resets itself quickly between shots, has a large and effective sensor area, a good display and best of all it's quite tough. Tough enough to take a glancing hit from a pellet, at least.... but the less said about that the better! I'd like it if the display would read out FPE, which it doesn't, but you can buy a cable / software pack to link it to a PC at the cost of fifty quid if you want. If you do this your PC will readout in both FPS and FPE.

The Prochrono is reckoned to be suitable for firearms and shotguns as well as air rifles (sensor range is given as 25 - 7000 FPS) but I haven't yet tried it with these. The next test I want to do is with my Eliminator, so when I manage to get outdoors in suitable conditions again I'll try it.

I didn't take any pictures, but the image below is a stock image.

Overall I'm very impressed - far easier and less temperamental to use than a Combro and for the money a very good bit of kit.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

JR

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Don't know if it's because I'm using tapatalk but your velocity / energy results show as gobbledygook like HTML code.

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Must be - they look fine to me. I just copied and pasted them in from Excel.

4. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

That 11.9 ftlbs is a bit near the bone , and will prob go over with different or lighter pellets ,

5. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I thought you had to shoot between 5 and 15 feet away from the chrono?

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's why I said:

It is a bit near, but it's quite a long way north of the average (which it and the other high-ish shot will have dragged upwards), so I think I'll need to do some more experimentation to see if they were flukes or whether the power of the rifle sometimes spikes. If the latter is the case then I'll have to open her up and remove a power band.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's just with powder burners, Ken. You have to give enough space for the muzzle blast to dissipate before the sensors, apparently. The manufacturers state that distance between the muzzle and the first sensor is not a problem with an air rifle.

8. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

I bought the same chrono with the cable and disc.
    I have had it about 10 months its a great piece of kit. Funnily enough I was using mine today as well
    As I can only use mine at the club which is an hour away.
    Its the first dry Sunday since xmas.
    My new vmach hw98 is doing 11.8fpe which is to close for me so it will be getting stripped
    And reduced to 10.5fpe hope fully. I know the sbop used a power washer so that's why first to go..

If yours does 11.9 again id definitely take it down a bit.

Have you tried falcon accuracy plus in yours mine is a .177
    I did in my sfs 97kt and they took it over I had to cut the spring.
    It doing 10.3fpe now.
    The falcons are 7.33gn in .177 they are also light in .22
    My 97 was spitting them out at 860fps average some were in tbe 870s.
    It was an instant strip there and then and the spring removed with the help of a few members.

Just double check your rifle mate I would never have a springer over 11fpe its not worth it.
    Cheers
    David

9. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

I have just got a prochrono digital with the pc adapter as well so far it seems very good but had some worrying results from my new toy that required a run straight down to my rfd for a double check. The rfd okayed it at 11.9 with bis mags but it has made me wonder about the accuracy of the chrono under certain light conditions. On getting home I thought I'd have another go and decided to use my combro at the same time. The combro gave a very consistant result across a 10 shot string. Results are as follows combro 1st.

800 vs 793
    799 vs 787
    794 vs error
    799 vs 793
    794 vs 790
    796 vs 788
    796 vs 796
    796 vs 790
    799 vs 795
    796 vs 792
    Yes I did remember to press rst every time on the combro.
    These were done from 150bar on a month old AAS510 to be in the sweet spot.

The biggest variance was 12fps and the lowest zero. What worries me the most is the variance wasn't consistant across each reading ie result 2 with the biggest spread having the second highest reading on the combro but the lowest on the prochrono. The readings on this test were actually higher than the readings that sent me off to my rfd for a check (note these are with 8.4gn AA Fields the dodgy ones were with Baracuda match's which I haven't listed, though the highest variance was again 12fps and the lowest 2fps) The interesting thing is although the prochrono instructions say there are no issues with the distance between muzzle and the first sensor, however a skan requires you be 10 inches away. Also both chrono's are accurate to within +/- 1% of the recorded value, great if the recorded value is spot on but if it is off by 20 or 30 fps then its a real worry as that is more than enough to record under the limit but actually be over. That said I am happy with both and they will be great for checking consistency and any kind of sudden change to output but I'm not gonna read to much into true accuracy as neither seem to agree with my rfd's skan. Of course we all know that the plod will only ever consider their own results when they are looking at any power issue so murky water as we know.