1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Chinese Chrono Arrived

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ninjarich1971, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ninjarich1971

ninjarich1971 Snoozing gracefully

After reading many posts regarding cheap Chinese chronos and thinking that i really don’t need or want one, I ordered one for £16.
    Three weeks later it arrives and as I was home alone today I thought what the hell and had an hour out the window up the garden.
    I’ve got to be honest and say I was pleasantly surprised, it just does what it should and couldn’t be simpler to use, so I rattled 50 pellets through it and worked out the average and did the conversion. With an 8.5 grain pellet and my hw100t I come up with a power of 10.4f/lbs
    I did it again with a lighter pellet and came out with a 10.30f/lbs.
    So my question is this, is 10.40f/lbs good enough?
    I get good grouping and 80-90 odd shots without charging.
    My own opinion is that I want a gun that’s 11+ but that’s because I always want everything to be at full chat so to speak. Also, I’m uneducated in this respect so am happy to listen to any/all comments
    I’ve put 1000+ pellets through it, I’m not hardcore shooter and in all honesty I get as much fun messing around with the thing as shooting it.
    Any thoughts welcome and appreciated, cheers.

2. Jonkem

Jonkem Big Poster

If it's shooting well it's fine. Double check your conversion sums and pellet weight used.
    What pellets were they?

3. Kev The Fish

Kev The Fish Buxted Rifle Club Member

I run my S400 around 10.4 and have no intention of changing it as she is spot on with accuracy
    If it runs true and straight then don't worry
    These cheap little chrono's are a brilliant addition to your must have kit and seem to hold charge for a fair bit and seem to be very accurate
    For a little more than the price of a tin of sorted pellets they are an absolute bargain
    Enjoy your testing
    Kev

4. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Try some more pellets of different brands and weights - JSB heavies usually do well power wise, I'd expect it to be around 11fpe with those. In reality the difference of that extra 1fpe will not make a big difference to you or the way you shoot, but if your getting it serviced in the future just get it turned up slightly at the same time.

5. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

6. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

or MPSx3.281=FPS pellet grainxFPSxFPS÷450240=FT/LBs

7. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Posting Addict

I have one of these chronos and I think it reads a touch under what it should. I've not got another chrono to double check with since my F1 Chrony went west but based on past experience I think the Chinese one is maybe 3 to 4 metre per second shy. Perhaps yours is similar?
    However I wouldn't worry to much with 10.4 ftlb. Whilst it might be nice to have 11 ftlb the difference in performance will be unperceiveable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  8. ninjarich1971

Oh no don’t tell me that, that means I’ll be buying another type to check, thanks all for replies. To be honest it hits targets at 50yds and the only thing that lets it down is me so I’ll probably just leave it and when it goes for a service may just ask them for a check and a tweak if necessary. It is good fun doing it and having an idea exactly what your gun is putting out is good to know.

9. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

ninjarich1971,

The difference in trajectory between 10.5 ft.lb & 11.5 ft.lb is only an inch or so at fifty-five (55) yards - so in the real world, no difference.

If your rifle is shooting fine at 10.4 ft.lb leave it alone ! :)

I am always worried when PCP chappies want to run their rifles to the max, e.g. 11.5 + ft.lb - one unknown pellet type might put them over the limit :(

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

10. Popgun

Popgun Donator

I use CalcAirgun app & sold the good ole Combro

All the OP now need are "Breakaway Coasters For Multiplier Surf Fishing Rods" off ebat to make fitting the unit to the barrel / Mod easier

20191231_103903.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    willo1962 likes this.
  11. willo1962

willo1962 Posting Addict

That's the one I use. Great app.

12. Petay

Petay Donator

Have to disagree with this to a degree. 1 inch is quite a bit considering you're shooting a 4.5mm pellet (assume .177).
    If you're a HFT shooter (who only go to 45yds in fairness) then the flatter the pellet flies the more sympathetic it is to range estimation errors.

Much wider debate on how the police validate a guns power but my belief is if i am a member of a club, have a good supply of my guns chosen pellet and have had my gun set up for optimal legal performance with that pellet it seems wrong for the police to put any old heavy weight pellet through it..... Same reason AT is utter nonsense given any springer can be striped quite easily and pushed over with a few washers.... Anyway.....:rolleyes:

13. Frog

Frog Busy Member

The difference between 10.4 and 11 fpe is 20 feet per second with an 8.5gn pellet. This is 2.7% increase in velocity and no-one would notice it in the real world. I would check with a 10+grain pellet (JSB heavy is a good choice) you may find it over 11 any way.

14. ninjarich1971

Ok, pardon my ignorance on this. If I put a heavier pellet in then this will require more pressure to get it moving to stop the gas just escaping so should show the guns true potential as a lighter pellet will allow some gas to escape as it moves easier, is this a correct assumption? Just so I know

15. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

ninjarich1971,

In general, PCPs are more efficient with 'heavier' pellets, so will make more energy with these 'heavier' pellets.

However this is not cast in stone - testing in your own rifle with a range of pellets is the only way to find out for certain.

Chrono some lighter pellets, in the ca. 7 gr. area, then some heavier e.g. 10 gr. area - Bisley Mags or JSB Heavies and see what you get.

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

16. Pfaber11

Pfaber11 Member

I ordered a cheap Chinese chrono called the ht x3000 for 20 quid today. should be here next week. Got some Prometheus hobbys and spitfires to test it out . If one of those gives me 11 ft lbs I'll be happy with that. thinking the spitfires will probably give the highest power . I tried the hobbys with chrono connect the chrono phone app and it said 9 ft lbs and the spitfires at around 12 ft lbs . didn't have the Prometheus then so not tested them . I don't think the phone app is very accurate. Guess I'll find out next week. By the way the exact price including postage from the UK was £20.12 off of ebay. Best find one based in the uk as china takes ages .
    people who have tested them on you tube say they are very accurate .

17. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

What gun are you using as I'm afraid to say that you will be very disappointed with the Prometheus and Spitfire pellets as they are badly made and very inaccurate - better off using a quality brand like JSB etc :up:

Zeroexpo123 and Popgun like this.
  18. Pfaber11

Pfaber11 Member

I'm using an SMK xs19 . Yes my pellets are cheap and will be ordering some more soon thinking the JSB RS would fit the bill. The rifle may be Chinese but it's quite well made better than the last rifle I had which was a BSA supersport which I bought new for £135 I had it nearly 15 years and swapped it for the 2 week old xs19 which hasn't got a mark on it . The supersport had a few imperfections but the guy was happy about the swap so there we are .

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  19. ninjarich1971

I haven’t shot an air rifle since I was about 14, 34 years ago and I can’t believe how pellets have changed. I have purchased quite a few different types as I just didn’t believe that there was so much performance variation but I’m astounded by the different types in quality and performance. However, I am the weak link in my set up as when I look through my scope I must have issues as I can’t hold it still for toffee. Quite how folks manage standing and kneeling shots is quite beyond me, I’d be struggling to hit a barn door without my bipod or a rest. Hey ho.

20. Pfaber11

Pfaber11 Member

Yes I will invest in some decent pellets . The Prometheus weren't cheap 6.99 for a hundred awesome penetration they go in twice as far as lead . They say they are good up to 20 meters Which is about as far as I shoot . Haven't tried them beyond 7 meters though. Will when I get the opportunity .