1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Chest shots on corvids!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Ronnieman, May 9, 2012.

1. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Have killed a few magpies already this year and am quite happy to take chest or head shots on any bird but a woody (i tend to go for head or neck)....

My question is.. has anyone else noticed the pellets going straight through (i mean clean through either head or chest and digging in behind). Nearly always 30ish yards and a clean instant kill no doubt! but im having to be very careful of my backstops!

Using AA field .177 Hw100 Last chrono with bis mags at 11.5ft/lb

I use bis mags for nearly all other quarry and don't have this problem its just corvids really!
    So is it just that extra speed of the lighter pellet that is resulting in better penetration

Cheers,

When i say any bird obviously i mean any bird covered by our beloved general license... I know what some of you are like :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

2. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

.177 do over penetrate Ronnie, I found that with my HW100
    The .22 I have now doesn't do it as much with rabbits but suspect it'd still do it with corvids
    I will let you know once I've shot a couple !!

3. supersniper

supersniper Busy Member

Head shots on avian pest usually go straight through out to the those sort of distance.....there's not much to birds skull in comparison to a rabbits. I would stick to head shots for the likes of rooks/crows
    SS

4. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

i will always prefer a head shot but i find chest works just as well if not better... less flapping/twitching etc...

cheers though!:up:

5. andy46

andy46 Donator

nothing wrong with a well placed heart and lung shot,i always go for head shots on all quarry,but i do take ferals with chest shots as there heads move around to much.but using a .22 knocks em dead on the spot,so no worry with over penetration.

6. Silentshot1

Silentshot1 Member

Have to admit that taking boiler room shots and suffring with a few 'flyers' with my .177 on pigeons, I lost confidence and now only use .22. Corvids, I've never had a problem with. Less armour I guess!

7. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

i used to shoot them at around 20ish yards with my old .22 ultra. it was doing around 11.4with aa diablos, from what i can remember anyway, i never had a problem with over penetration on chest shots so guessing its the speed and size of the pellet over anything elce mate.

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Have never had a problem dropping anything from the crow family with chest shots in either calibre, hit em and they seem to drop, this goes for crows maggies and the only two jays I managed to bag. Woodies are another matter they are armour plated to either calibre. However the 45 yard chest shot I did yesterday with my .177 dropped one cleanly from its perch. I remember many years ago hitting a pigeon smack in the chest with my .22 HW77, he flew off as if nothing had happened, he flew maybe 50 yards and then just dropped like a stone dead as a dodo. Since then I always watch a flyer but am now coming round to the fact that a head shot is the only proper shot to take on one of these birds. As for over penetration, again I once shot a woodpigeon off a post, behind it was a metal garage the range was 35 yards, calibe .22 I hit him smack in the chest, he dropped but amazingly I heard my pellet ting off the garage door so shows you it can happen in both calibres.