1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese Paste

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bucketboy, Sep 9, 2019.

1. bucketboy

bucketboy Keyboard Hero

While sorting out the fridge today I found a packet of cheese that had split causing the contents to dry as hard as concrete.
    Rather than throw it away I decided it would give me a good reason to make some cheese paste and go chub fishing tomorrow.

So, the rock hard cheese, 4 slices of white bread were blitzed together in the food processor. The resulting mixture was dry and crumbly but the additional of a chunk of blue cheese and a splash of water soon had it smooth, soft and smelly.:thumb:

So I am off to my man cave later to sort my gear for my first chub session of the season.

Has anyone got any secret ingredient to add to the paste just to give it that “edge”

Bb

2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

I haven’t fished for chub in years! Great sport Pete - clever little devils!

Have a great day and good luck mate

3. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I always used a boilie and then wrapped the paste around it and then I would leave it to 'air' for twenty minutes so it dried a little. The smellier the cheese the better. :D

4. bigal

bigal Jedi.

good luck Pete, hope the fun there for you. ;) Al

5. squib

squib Posting Addict

I have, but it’s so potent you have to use it Caerphilly. :facepalm:

Dagger and bucketboy like this.
  6. warrenater

warrenater Donator

I haven't fished for chub for years now but i found that if the flow is enough freelining a worm with the end cut off was pretty good. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    pbrown and bucketboy like this.
  7. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Chilli flakes..... ;)

Hair rigged 8 or 10mm cork ball with cheese paste wrap.
    I make mine with shortcrust pastry, or used to. I have no confidence with cheese anymore as I have never had much luck with it where other guys swear by it. :(
    I have always found bread to be the better option, for me anyway.
    :thumb:

bucketboy likes this.
  8. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Very Active

Dick cheese is pretty smelly....:)

Dagger likes this.
  9. Dagger

Dagger Busy Member

Did you catch anything

10. bucketboy

bucketboy Keyboard Hero

Ok catch report.

I checked the weather the day before, cool, overcast, slight chance of rain and a moderate breeze, ideal chub fishing weather so packed all my gear accordingly.

I wasn’t able to get an early start due to other things I had to do but managed to park the car about 10 o’clock with a 10 min walk to the stretch of river where I have had some good chub in the past. As I walked across the field that alway has a bull in it I noticed some new fencing erected separating the field from the waters edge. I thought at first that this was to separate the bull from the public right of way along the river, but I later found out this was not the case...more later.

Arriving at the swim I immediately noticed very dense weed growth, not just the normal cabbages that grow near the margins but long steamer weed all the way across the river, tackle losses were going to be high:(

I set my gear up and cast out, the rod had only been on the rest for a few seconds when it got pulled off, first fish on but it immediately pulled me into the weeds, a steady pull on the 8lb line slowly dragged the fish out but it felt like a slab of a bream rather than a chub. I was wrong, it was a chub, only about 1 1/2 but with 10lb of weed wrapped around it.

For the next hour or so, each cast would have the rod being yanked off the rest within moments of the bait hitting the water, often before I had managed to put the rod on the rest. Sadly each fish I did hook made a charge for the weed resulting in lost gear and lost fish. Due to the distance, hook and hold was not an option as much of the weed was between me and the fish.

Anyway, I tried various tactics to mitigate tackle losses, none were successful, either resulting in no bites, or very difficult line control. But by now the overcast sky’s prediction had cleared and the temperature started to rise. I don’t know if it was the change in weather or the commotion I was causing but bites were becoming few and far between.

Later, the bailiff turned up, he was complaining about the weed growth not only here but along the whole stretch and the adjoining lake. I mentioned new fence, he said it was not there to protect the public but the heavy weed growth had caused the cattle in the field to venture closer the the edge causing severe bank erosion a few swims down. As we were talking, a large jcb, digger, a dump truck and a lorry started to clatter they way across the field to repair the damage to the bank:facepalm:

So with the tackle losses, the heat, the boats and the heavy machinery working near by I decided to cut my losses and go and inspect one of my local permissions instead. I am glad I did, because although I had cleared much of the squirrel population over the past year, it was evident that the rabbits have made a return so worth a session with the nv:thumb:

Bb

Farty, RichieRich, pbrown and 2 others like this.
  11. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Bit of a frustrating session for you BB.
    At least you caught so not all bad.
    :thumb:

Lev Levvin likes this.
  12. bucketboy

bucketboy Keyboard Hero

Yes but it’s better than working?

Bb

Nubble and Lev Levvin like this.
  13. squib

squib Posting Addict

I used to do a lot of paste fishing, but soft/sloppy paste for carp on the pole.
    This is my tried and tested mix, but works equally well when stiffened up with extra fish meal to wrap round a hair rigged pellet for the ‘conker’ method. Couple of local ponds I fished had plenty of chub in, and they went mad for it.

Empty 1 tin of tuna or salmon cat food in gravy into the blender.
    Fill the empty tin with water and add this.
    Add a tin of tuna in oil, with the oil.
    Blend to a revolting slurry.
    Pour into a large mixing bowl and add fishmeal to reach the consistency you like. Do this over the course of 30 mins or so to properly let the fishmeal soak it up.

bucketboy and sagalout like this.
  14. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Very Active

I made tuna and cheese paste balls for carp fishing but ended up catching really big eels!!

15. Paul G W

Paul G W Engaging Member

Secret recipe for cheese paste is
    Xanthan gum.
    Only two tea spoons full to a cricket ball sized lump of paste.
    Makes is stretchy and creamy soft, like you wont believe.
    It is used instead of gluten in bread. Dont spill it and never wipe up with a wet cloth.

Farty and bucketboy like this.