1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Good news Cheap Grip Colour Change (krylon)

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Headhunter, May 25, 2020.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Where is my Chiappa Rhino !!!

First off, I just want to thank @garryt for suggesting I should use the product Krylon for recolouring my Python 4" grips, it's a great product that has a completely matt finish to it, absolutely no reflection to it at all (it's part of Krylon camouflage paint series) and has been specially formulated to have a superb bond to all plastics. The coverage on this stuff is just amazing, it doesn't take much to cover the original colour and it is very, very opaque, a solid finish with a solid colour.
    So after doing the Python grips I had loads left over, so I had my eye on a couple of my other guns that I didn't like the original grip colour (faux ivory), I'm not into ivory, not even into 'aged' ivory either so next up was the Colt SAA 5½" that I had recently acquired and the ol' Remington 1875.
    Black grips trio 2.jpg

The Python originally had the brown grips and the other two had the white (faux ivory), I much prefer the black look to the grips over their original colour, I don't suppose it's to everyone's taste but they're my guns and it's all a very personal thing.

@gingernut , you was wanting to see what the Remmy looked like once I'd done them, so this is for you.....
    Remington 1875 black grips 1.jpg Remington 1875 black grips 4.jpg

I do love the Colt SAA in the chrome finish with the black grips, makes it look far better (imho)
    Colt SAA black grips 3.jpg Colt SAA black grips 2.jpg

And the Python is absolutely perfect, exactly how I wanted it to be......
    Python 4 black grips 2.jpg

Anyhow, just thought that I would share this with you guys just in case anyone else was thinking about a colour change to their grips and was wondering what product to use, Krylon gets a big thumbs up from me ! One can, £15 and it did four sets of grips (I did a quick blow over on my DW 2½ first gen grips just to freshen them up), so that works out to be about £3.75 per set of grips, not a bad price considering how expensive sets of grips can be when you just want to change the colour.

:)

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Nice job Shaun. Do you just spray it in and leave it or is there some after finish work?

Headhunter likes this.
  3. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

@garryt can I use that black to paint my M17 slide and frame?

4. Headhunter

It's all prep work, just use rubbing alcohol to clean them down (gets rid of any grease etc.), let them dry off (doesn't take long, a minute or two) and shake the can for 2 mins (roughly) and then just spray them. I found that a very light 'dusting' coat for the first layer (then wait 5 minutes), then spray just enough to get a solid coat, leave to dry fully (about 25-30 minutes), then one final all over coat and you're done, leave to harden off (about 4 hours) and then they are okay to refit to the gun, then I just left the gun alone in it's case for 24hrs (just to be doubly sure).

Job done :)

garryt and CaptDAR like this.
  5. Headhunter

I'd say that it would be okay for the plastic frame, I've seen videos of guys spraying it over the existing paint finish on their guns (especially the camo colours for airsoft guns), so I can't see it being a problem tbh.

CaptDAR likes this.
  6. thedoylemeister

thedoylemeister Engaging Member

These look great! I am wondering if this might tidy up the horrific (in my opinion) shiny plastic grips that adorn my KWC Sig P226 X-Five. Love the gun but the grips are shiny black plastic and feel cheap

Think I might give it a go - do you have any links to the product you used on yours?

Headhunter likes this.
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Firearm Enthusiast & FX Wildcat owner.

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    This is going to be interesting. Looking forward to seeing the results DAR.:thumb:

Headhunter likes this.
  8. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

It was only a question at this time :)

9. Headhunter

There you go buddy.......
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRYLON-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

thedoylemeister likes this.
  10. Wild Bill

I'm not into this black grip thing to be honest. Doesn't suit these classic western type pistols in my opinion. But each to their own.

11. RED DOG

RED DOG Engaging Member

I like your worn ivory look better, however I wonder if they could be made to resemble buffalo horn,,, that might work, and be possibly period correct.

ps I have a saa on my list now. I knew it would happen looking at all these great looking six guns.;)

12. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

They do a rather nice pink :rolleyes:

Headhunter likes this.
  13. Headhunter

Ahem.......
    old colt 1.jpg old colt 2.jpg old colt 3.jpg old colt 4.jpg old colt 5.jpg

Black was a very common grip colour.

14. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    thedoylemeister likes this.
  15. thedoylemeister

thedoylemeister Engaging Member

16. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Both are nice and compliment each other like keys on a piano.

396D5096-CC17-4753-9344-A2D95784CCD2.jpeg

Headhunter and Jimmypie like this.
  17. Wild Bill

18. Jimmypie

Jimmypie AGF Leshiy rehoming service

Krylon , been using it for years , every home should have some :p

F4C63A3D-A452-4E48-81F4-9081F022C20D.jpeg

Easy to get carried away though :eek::D

4E31CBE6-8161-4DBF-BA75-5DE691B146CE.jpeg

19. Victor Robert Allaway

Victor Robert Allaway Busy Member

I really prefer the matt black to shiny white plastic. It's mostly the shine. Of course the nickel finish is more akin to chrome - it lacks colour - but it's not as off as that plastic. I'm still holding out for checkered walnut, but that'll cost more than the gun...

Rob.

Headhunter and Jimmypie like this.
  20. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

£45 when Shadowfax is back in business later in the year.

E34BB9FB-8366-43D2-B298-83E4FE7F4ACC.jpeg

Jimmypie likes this.