1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap CO2 Rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by genemad, Apr 1, 2014.

1. genemad

genemad Member

Hi folks, just thinking of buying a co2 rifle but cash is tight as with everyone right now. Ive seen the SMK XS78 and I like the look and the price but could do with some good honest opinions. So if anyone has any views Id welcome them. At the min. Im using BSA Airsporter mk2, Imp. Model D and a Cometa 400.

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I would go for the XS79 as it's easier to modify to bulk fill C02 or HPA (high pressure air)

I have one, it's cheap but quite nicely made and has huge modification potential, If you can undo a nut and bolt and remove a screw you will be able to work on the gun without many problems!

Prices vary from £95 - £120 depending on the RFD

3. genemad

genemad Member

Cheers mate sounds like a decent deal. Dun sum work on my rifles already so shudnt be too hard.

4. Squats

Squats Engaging Member

What SteveO said, really....I`ve got one, and I like it. lots of room for improvement if you like to fiddle.

5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I have a QB78 DL I picked up secondhand with a Webley Xocet for £120, been treated to Welsh Willy seals and bolts and a T R Robb tuning kit.

Make sure you buy a chrono as these are easy to get over the legal limit in .22!!!

6. genemad

genemad Member

Cant thank everyone enough. Its all great advice and hopefuly I should be able to get a 79 from my local rfd Penningtons. Thanks again

7. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Yep , what Moley said, These guns have serious FAC potential and could get you in heaps of trouble if you don't take the precaution of having a chrono and testing after modification. They will instantly go FAC when you convert them to HPA so researching methods to keep the power down is a must, that's something we can help with via PM should the need arise! :up:

8. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

DONT USE PENNINGTONS!!!!!!!!!
    He's waaaaaay overpriced, £16 for a 500 tin of daystate pellets!!!!
    Try redbeck in wakey or swillington shooting.....

9. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

10. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Hi Spike, Just had a look at your guns via the link you posted! Very nice and great info!

One thing that instantly leapt out to me as very useful is the hammer spring tension adjuster, Is this something you build for others who would like one? If so could you let me know a price please?

11. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I second that, a crono is a must have, if you want to tune. As StevoR10 says, so easy to go over the limit. Atb, Bob.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  12. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Hi
    thank you for your generous comments
    I have access to a friends lathe and to be honest I am not the fastest at making things, but I am getting better lol
    i have a lot of ideas to get round too ! I am sure others have made similar things
    i am sure there are many on this forum that could make the device on this forum
    I am quite busy with work and other hobbies so only really make parts and tune guns for my own entertainment
    i really will have to get round to sorting my web site as well it is pretty basic in design ! If you can use the word design

thanks again
    simon

13. genemad

genemad Member

Morning gents, cant thank you all enough for your advice and comments. I will deffo b getting a chrono asap, even if wife dont like it. Will b lookin at redbeck and swillington later today. Thanks again and happy shooting.

14. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

i too would recommend the xs79
    nice little rifles with loads of potential for improvement;-)
    if you have difficulty finding one give welsh willy at woodfield gcp a bell,i think he sells them for about £100
    he is only up the road from me so i would gladly collect on your behalf and package it and ship it to you at your expense
    i did this for egg on this forum when he was after an xs79
    if you need welsh willy's number drop me a pm

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I may be wrong, but don't think either of those sell what you want, but Wighill park guns at Tadcaster do, here is the link. http://www.wighillparkguns.co.uk/products/products_category.asp?cat=125 If you are going to do a lot of paper punching, I would go for the 79, and do a HPA job on it, Co2 can work out expensive, and does not like cold weather. Atb, Bob.

16. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

Buy this....

[​IMG]

17. jantar

jantar Donator

I have bought 2 QB78's for a £100.00 each (love them both) and converted one to HPA but limited to 20Bar/850psi. The shot count is low at around 20 per fill with the standard reservoir. The other I am now trying to adapt to take an 88g bottle that will fit to a modified end cap.
    I am also now looking to buy a QB79 too cos the CO2 bug has got me. Collection? I have 2 PCP's (a DS and a AGS), a springer (SMK XS19-18DL) 2 CO2 SMK QB78's) and 2 pistols (Crosman 2250 and a Beretta Storm). Will I also go for some Airsoft......in time maybe........who knows what will grab my fancy next?
    Must say though that just like steve0_R10 Spike's hammer spring tension adjuster has caught my interest too............

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  18. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

while they're very handy for hpa builds for fine tuning /adjusting the power i've always shyed away from them as external adjusters as they leave you wide open if tested
    if you change to cock on opening it's easy to shim the cocking block to get the spring tension you want (just needs the stock and rear tube plug removing to alter)
    i recently got an adjustable cocking block from a member on ukcaf(made from a hammer stop and a machined m12 bolt) it needs a bit of finessing but it also has good potential,
    ped

19. genemad

genemad Member

Thanks to every one for the advice. Its good to know theres some sensible folk out there.

Thanks to my daughter's prom I am now not in a position to buy. Will have to wait till later in year. Thanks Yanks for your stupid ideas.

Mick.