1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

cheap Air Rifle night vision: Red Led Light or Ir Laser+ old camera?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by weihrauchhunter, Jan 17, 2014.

1. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

Hi,
    I am new here an start right now with a question :)

I have a strong Weihrauch Hw35 with about 13 joule.
    I'll buy a Konuspro 3-9x32 scope and want a cheap version of a "night vision"
    I'll use it for rats, martens, mice and rabbits out of a distance of maximum 30 yards (in the night)

I found 2 different tipes of cheap "night vision" scopes:

1. Red Led Hunting Lamp kit
    2. Ir Laser+old cam at the front of the scope

What are the pro and cons of each? Which one is better?
    best regards, weihhrauchhunter

2. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, if your a techy sort of person give the diy n/v a go lots of info on here, for a torch try a cree 501b with red led change lens to aspheric from deal extreme black out reflector and get a torch to scope mount, for ease of use try the figuire of 8 clamp off ebay, terry 101 on here might help with torch. i use 2 red torches one on a AA .22 pcp, 1 on a Brocock pcp. AA for rats the brocock .177 for rabbits.

3. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Dunno what NV unit you need but 13 Joules = approx. 9.5 ft/lb so I'd want to be confident about your shot placement at the maximum range you're talking about shooting at.

Also, what kind of marten are you talking about?

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A red torch is cheap and simple to install and can be effective if the quarry isn't spooked by the light. You can do a nv unit using a camcorder (must be one with nightshot) but it goes on the rear of the scope. For the same sort of cost you could build a unit using a cctv camera and there's plenty of information on these in the nightvision section which would be worth reading.

5. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

I'll hunt beech marten, but only out of a distance of 10-15 yards :)

I am frightened of spooking the animals with the red light, are they good for rats or do they notice the red light?
    Is this a good one? hunting lamp kit

Are there any good instructions on how to build a cheap and good night vision with lcd monitor, ir laser and a camera that animals can't notice?
    best regards, weihhrauchhunter

6. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I'm assuming that because you're hunting beech marten you're not in the UK?

As to home-brew NV setups: there's some pretty damn good guides from the guys on this forum (in this section, stickeyed at the top).

7. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

I am not from the Uk, you're right :)
    English isn't my mother tongue so it's really hard to understand all this electrical stuff the guys are talking about.

I understood that there must be a camera on the front of the scope and an Ir-Laser that points in the shooting direction, a lcd display that is connectet to the cam and a battery for the display, cam and the laser....
    Are there some cheap and approved components a lot of people are using?

I hope someone can help me a little bit, I'd be very thankful :amen:^^
    best regards, weihrauchhunter

8. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Here is a list I suggested to another member a little while ago:
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/172815-Night-vision?p=1016129#post1016129
    These parts are going to produce a reasonable quality unit.
    The light form an ir laser does not give very even illumination, it is better to use a torch with an infra red led and preferably one which will focus the beam.
    The camera is fixed to the rear of the scope, not the front for this type of unit.

10. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

Thank you :)
    Is an infra red led torch as responsible as the ir-laser for animals?

Do you think a red led torch is enough for rats and other small animals? Does the red light spook them a lot? Which one would be good for distance about 30 yards?

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There should be no difference in the effect that lasers or leds have on the quarry if the light is the same colour (wavelength) and the same power output.
    A red torch, used carefully, should be effective for rats/rabbits although rats may become alarmed by it quite quickly.

12. weihrauchhunter

weihrauchhunter Member

13. Falcon User

Falcon User Engaging Member

That will fit.