1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Changing barrels on a Theoben

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Trouserferret, May 25, 2014.

1. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Hi folks, posted a while ago that I'd really like a rammer to add to my collection. Narrowed it down to a Fenman/Sirocco or an Evo (always had a thing for Theobens, loved 'em for years). Trouble is, I want one in .20 which is as rare as rocking horse poo apparently. The Evo would probably be outwith my budget as it stands, but I missed out on a well priced Fenman the other day and I've seen some nice Siroccos go for what seems quite reasonable money. Just not in .20!

I was wondering if it would be worth my time snapping up a decent specimen in an alternate calibre and keeping my eyes peeled for a barrel in .20 at a later date? I've no idea if it can be done at home, or the work required. If it would be prohibitively expensive, I'll probably just hold off for now but the chances of finding a decent nick (in fact ANY nick) .20 rifle are gonna see me too old to cock the thing at this rate.

Anyways, any advice always appreciated.

Mick

2. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

.20 barrels do come up every now and then but get snapped up quick keep watch on bay ect

3. walker

walker Busy Member

Join the theoben facebook pages aswell mate and put a wanted ad up.

4. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Yeah mate, got a few "saved searches" that I try every day. Also going through all the other regular channels too, just seems like I'm always that bit too late if one does come up.

Still unsure if it would be worth buying a complete rifle in a different calibre as I don't really know how much someone would be asking for just a .20 barrel, and I don't know if I'd be able to do the conversion at home.

Edit:

Not on Facefook bud, is there a good owners forum? Found theoben-rapid but is there one for the rammers that you know of?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  5. 177

177 Donator

Swapping barrels is relatively easy, however UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you try and cock the gun with the action removed from the stock.

Quickest way to shear the lugs that for the cocking shoe on the cocking linkage and that's it buggered :(

On the older models there is a keeper on the right side of the action and the main barrel pivot bolt is undone on the left side of the action.

Power will drop if you are running a .22 and you go to a .20 barrel, so you may also need to have the gun re-inflated slightly.

The trouble with gas ram guns is the raft of negative vibe merchants out there who took advantage of a power adjustable gun and over-inflated theirs in an effort to go over the 12 FPE limit.

I'm seeing more and more gas ram guns with burned piston crowns.

Typically what happens is that the piston crown burns as it runs faster (and correspondingly hotter) than it was intended to run.

A burned piston crown loses power and can produce erratic results.

The stock response to this is to re-inflate the gun, which forces it to runs till faster in an attempt to brig it back up to power.

This, in turn, causes the piston crown to burn even more and lose more power, so...

And on it goes.

A good one is a good one but I am seeing more and more that have been faffed around with and spares are becoming a real chore to obtain :(

Three times the other day I tried to load a .20 pellet into my .22 Sirocco only to watch it falls straight through :(

I had several guns on the bench at once and ended up having to stop and put the lids on various tins when I started feeding the wrong diet to some of them :eek:

It's a mistake any fool can make, and I did...

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  6. 177

177 Donator

Have you shot a Theoben (or any other) gas ram gun ?

They tend to be marmite guns - you either love them or hate them and, just like any other self contained air rifle, you have to put the work in to get the best from them.

Very capable guns but quite different to shooting a springer.

Depending on what you are used to you might take a while to get to grips with the trigger as well.

Just thought I'd ask because loads of people think they want something until they get it, only to find they don't get along with it after all.

Try before you buy...

7. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Never had the chance to be honest. Not many owners round these parts unfortunately.

I've read a lot about the Marmite factor with these, but it's something I'm willing to make work. I like a challenge, and I've fancied one of these for nearly 15 years. I don't mind a harsh kick, just need to get the technique down for hold sensitivity. I know the triggers are quite "agricultural", but with enough use I'm sure I could get it to work. One of the reasons for looking for a .20 is the recoil/trajectory tradeoff. I would take .177 but expect quite a thump from that. Got a .22 TXHC (lovely beast), so want something to sit between that and my PCP in .177.

Hell, even if I don't I don't like shooting it I'd probably end up keeping it for the wall.

Who knows, might end up with one after all these years and then have a whole new hassle if this "bill" passes...

8. 177

177 Donator

Are you ever in the Gatehouse of Fleet area ?

I shoot a lot over there and, if you are, I could let you play with mine - he said with a perfectly straight face ;)

I tend not to stray as far up as your neck of the woods until later in the season, for some sea fishing :D

9. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

A kind offer indeed, how I'd love to handle your weapon... :D

Bit of a trek though unfortunately mate. Furthest I get most days is Glasgow, and that's me really stretching it.

I've found a nice Scirocco in .177 that I'm contemplating, watched too many of them slip away. Fella's not too far away either so might get a chance to give it a once over and perhaps shoot the thing! We'll see how it goes if he gets back to me.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated. :up:

10. 177

177 Donator

My very early Sirocco (link rather than embedded image, due to rules about pictures of dead things): http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/SysadminX/1-1-14-sirocco-pigeon_zps83f8dc64.jpg

It's since had the stock oiled - it was bone dry in that picture after years of neglect :(

Once I'd rescued it from its former keeper the action was sent to the wonderful Martin Rutterford of Rapid Air Weapons in America for a new ram. Tope bloke in all respects :up:

The gun is set at 10.5 FPE at the moment and it's a great 'hedgerow' gun for mooching after rabbits and pigeons :)

11. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Gawd, the stock does look a bit "thirsty", eh? Seen a few poor old souls brought back to health from dedicated individuals now.

One I'm looking at is a later model, big shroud/cocking aid and the funky raised foregrip. Something to be said for the lines of the older ones but. Hate to think how much your new ram cost ya, hoping this 'un won't need replacing. I'll be taking my Combro with me if I get a chance on this one...

12. 177

177 Donator

The new ram was only $90 plus shipping each way :)

I considered it my duty to reinstate the gun to its original internals - some clown had done a lousy attempt at a spring conversion, probably after pooching the ram by over-inflating the damned thing...

I contacted Theoben before they went to the wall and told them all about the gun, gave them the serial number and everything. Thy said to send it down for repair, so I did.

A week later they sent it back saying "That's an early Sirocco. We don't do parts o fit."

So I paid postage both ways with no work done after I'd supplied full details of the rifle.

I was thrilled...

:rolleyes:

Martin Rutterford is a gent in all respects and did a great job building a new ram for the gun. I didn't consider the price too bad at all and since it's a gun I will (probably) never sell it's worth spending a few quid on, if for no other reason than to have an early Theoben gas ram gun in the cabinet.

Wish I'd never sold my old Fenman. Now that was a gun :(