1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice change parallax

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by s stubbs, May 9, 2012.

1. s stubbs

s stubbs Well-Known Member

can some one help me need to change the parallax on my scope but don't know how there is no locking ring at the end so does it still unscrew or do i need to find something to fit in side and turn the ring with the two cut outs in front of the objective lens help please

2. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

you can remove the ring with the two cut outs, which I think could change the parallax (but im not sure) but problem with this is that your scope will more than likely be nitrogen filled, if you loosen this ring and move the lens then the nitrogen will leak out.

3. DougR

DougR Busy Member

NO.

None of us know what type of scope you have - or exactly which model.

If you can provide:
    1 - Make model and year of scope
    2 - Some high quality close up photos of the scope and especially of the objective set-up.

Then, maybe, somebody might be able to help.

4. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

the nitrogen doesnt always go to the objective lens, so removing that ring shouldnt release any of the desicated air inside. like doug has said dont do it until you are sure what make and model your scope is.

5. s stubbs

its a redfirld acu-range 3-9x50 got pics on mobile cant put pics up am trying now

6. s stubbs

7. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

That locking/covering ring, right at the front needs to be removed, then you can slowly unwind the lens while focusing on something at your chosen range. Do this all on full mag (9x) and make sure you have focussed the cross hairs before you start or it will just get confusing and frustrating (trust me, I've done that before:eek:).
    Once you've got it right then carefully screw the ring back on without moving the lens.

Then, re-zero!

8. DougR

DougR Busy Member

That looks almost identical to the non AO version of the Hawke Sport HD.

In you first picture:- the piece of metal with the "R" is the body, the short cylindrical piece to the right acts as the locking ring.
    In your third picture you can see the lens carrier and one of the pair of slots used for adjustment.

Using a strap wrench undo, the locking ring about an eighth of a turn.
    Use a suitable thing (piece of wood or plastic) to engage one of the slots and screw the lens carrier outwards - this sets the parallax for shorter distances than the default 100 yards.

Making sure the the carrier does not rotate - do up the locking ring.

N.B. Get the eyebell end and thus reticle in sharp focus FIRST - or you will be wasting your time.

9. s stubbs

will give it ago tried with my hands its just to tight, had a look at some on uttings and they seem to have a ring that the end tightens up to just need to find something to fit in the slots to unwind it.

10. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Once you've got that ring off you should be able to turn the lens carrier by hand, if it is a bit stiff use a steel rule or hacksaw blade in the slots but be bloody careful not to scratch the lens;)

If it really wont budge you can try using a bit of heat from a hair drier or very carefully with a heat gun, but be gentle and slow with the heat, that should get rid of any thread locking compound.

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The protective ring is probably loctited on - use a hair dryer CAREFULLY to warm it. A hot air gun is way too hot unless you have done it before - they get hot enough to melt aluminium! A hair dryer will get it warm enough to soften the glue/thread lock. If you don't have a strap wrench, then a cable tie and pair of pliers can be used as a make do and mend alternative. You may need a tea towel and gas pliers, depending on how much you can soften the thread lock and how much purchase you can get on the ring. The tea towel is to prevent the gas pliers/pipe wrech from digging into the material. Make sure you have enough - some inner tube would be better.

Then it is simple enough to turn the lens out to reduce the target focus distance. I wouldn't bring it in much beyond 35 yards (about optimum for depth of field). You don't need to thread lock the protective ring when you put it back on. It takes longer to write how to do it, than actually do it.

12. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Not always that simple. The last bloke I tried to talk through this got the locking ring off easy enough but couldn't get the lens carrier to budge, bloody Hawke scopes:rolleyes:

13. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I won't let anyone in my house with a Hawke scope. They are not soiling my air!

14. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Hawkes are brilliant scopes best out of all the Chinese one on the market. They have the edge on quality over MTC, Bushnell, Nikko Sterling, Leapers etc tac 30 sidewinders take some beating!!

15. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Looking through a Hawke is like being poked in the eye with a sharp stick, in comparison to a good scope. The Nikon lenses are twice the quality at roughly the same price. Lightstream and Leupold gold ring use the same lenses and are equal to the very best European scopes. No comparison.

16. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

You've gone right down in my estimations now:( :D:D:D

17. s stubbs

sorry mate your well off the mark i had a 10x42 sidewinder and its not on the same planet to my red field for quality