1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Chance Of A Webley Mk3

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by Hadgee, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

Hi,

I have a chance of a Webley Mk3 in .22 smooth bore, its ok condition with pencil scope and dioptre sight fitted. What's ball park figure I should expect to pay for this?. Its going to need a good service.

Thanks in advance......

2. Geezer

Geezer Busy Member

Smoothbores are rare. They were made for some foreign/Empire/Commonwealth markets where rifled barrel air guns were restricted. I think South Africa was one.

Price depends mostly on condition, and to a lesser extent on the precise model. Could be worth anything from £75-250.

Scope and diopter seem a bit unnecessary on a smoothbore.

Hadgee likes this.
  3. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

I'll try to find out a bit more about it. Markings etc.

Thanks for the reply.

4. norman

norman Donator

I've had a couple of these...does your's have the "s" stamped on the cocking arm?

5. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

Hi Norman,
    When I get to see it again I will have a look. I'm still waiting to find out from the owner what he wants to do with it.
    I'll keep post updated although might take a week or two.

6. norman

norman Donator

No worries..the "s" should be up near the axis bolt...how did you/he notice it was smoothbore..?

7. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

Hi, I did get a look at it a while back when the owner discovered it in his late fathers shed. I should have looked a little closer but seem to remember noticing it was a smooth bore and that stuck in my memory. I have reignited my interest in it after seeing and firing a vintage 1927 air rifle at the local club recently. ( Model eludes me! )

Thanks again,

pjbingham and norman like this.
  8. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Lovely rifles. The Mk3 was a really well built item, no pressed steel parts on it anywhere, everything was machined, even the trigger and underlever were machined from solid steel and the barrel was profiled with a very elegant taper. Accurate even though they were a tap loader because the loading port was reamed in situ, so it was perfectly aligned.
    Mine, I shouldn't have let it go.

A simple yet elegant rifle with gracious lines..jpg

ped, charlie351, pjbingham and 2 others like this.
  9. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

That looks very nice indeed.

10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Another picture. It was truly mint. I have an original, Birmingham spring for the Mk3 here, direct from John Atkins at Webley & Scott just before they went bust. I was going to get some pictures and bung it on e6ay. The tap loading port and rear sight.JPG

pjbingham likes this.
  11. Hadgee

Hadgee Engaging Member

I'm still waiting to here if they are going to sell theirs. I know it isn't nearly has good nick as yours was. Looks stunning.

12. JamieB57

JamieB57 Engaging Member

The Webley mark 3 was truly the flagship air rifle of my youth,around 1971,beating all the others in many ways such as Airsporters.I recall seeing them in shop windows new for £30,way out of my reach as a school boy,so I settled for a second hand Webley Falcon at £8.50,which served me well for several years.

Hadgee likes this.
  13. JohnHG

JohnHG Engaging Member

The Webley Mk3 is a very good underlever air rifle. Sold here in SA with normal rifled barrel.
    Up till about 2000 air rifles had to have an FAC. When I purchased my BSA Mercury in 1979
    they still had stock at a local RFD and I was able to try one.

JamieB57 and Hadgee like this.
  14. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Morning, I still have my mark 3 that i had when i was about 15 or 16. Before i got back into shooting 12 years ago it was forgotten under the stairs. When my interest was rekindled i got it out and found that what was really very reasonable bluing 25 years previously was now very rusty. I have removed the rust and oiled the stock which was broken and sort of fixed but it really is in a hell of a state. All my guns are immaculate totaly unmarked and it makes me sad when i see my old friend standing in the line up. I have had it more than 60 years. It still shoots as good as ever and is my only .22. Its the one with the shaped tap and the thin grooves on the forend. How accurate is a mark 3 smooth bore at say a tin can at 20 yards ?

15. alan jones

alan jones Well-Known Member

I still love my Webley MK 3 which I bought new in 1966 for £25 .I take it to the range occasionally and enjoy shooting it . It is in very good condition as been in gun cabinet for nearly 50 yrs .Its also a lot lighter than my LGV too .
    Regards
    Alan

16. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

That one of mine was September 1966 - just after the World Cup. :thumb:

17. JamieB57

JamieB57 Engaging Member

Despite its condition it is worth more than it was 25 years ago.It sounds like an old model from the late 50’s,as for the accuracy of a smooth bore,it must be very inferior to a rifled barrel.and can’t imagine why they made them apart from cost.I have used a .22 smooth bore shotgun with a blank and pellet,and though powerful averaging 13 fpe,it was wildly inaccurate,grouping about 6” at 30 yards,instead of 1” or so.

18. Geezer

Geezer Busy Member

Never shot one, so can’t be sure. But in general smoothbore air rifles are OK up to around 10 yards, maybe 15, but after that the groups enlarge rapidly.

See this test, for example:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/02/diana-25-smoothbore-pellet-gun-part-4/

A rifled MkIII should print groups a bit under an inch at 20 sometimes under half an inch. With the right pellet.

Hadgee likes this.
  19. norman

norman Donator

Never shot mine (smoothbore) i'm afraid to say...tis awful I know ....I had every version/series of the Mk.3 they made....I must add that as a production stock the Mk.3 had some fantastic "tiger" striping Walnut stocks...still have a few...the stocks alone are worth collecting & the standard Webley bluing was par excellence...gas tight tap's...the only fault in my mind was the spot welded scope rail in the later versions...no powerhouses but good looking & functional..:up:

pjbingham and Hadgee like this.
  20. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

You say they weren't a powerhouse, but they would churn out 8 or 9ft-lbs, that is not a huge difference to modern rifles. Compare that performance for instance, against a standard family car of the era (Ford Popular, Morris 1000) to the equivalent of today, where there is a massive difference - brakes, steering, suspension, actual engine performance with lower grade fuel.....longevity, fuel consumption.

Hadgee likes this.