1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Catching And Containing Bbs.

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Honest John, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Honest John

Honest John Engaging Member

The funnel type card holders seem to do a good job of containing my pellets. If I was to go down the bb route, would the same be true, with or without modification. The bb catchers sold for the purpose that have a mesh bag behind get poor reviews, but I dare say these could be modified to contain the bbs. I know I could build a box filled with towels etc but I was just wondering how the funnel catchers would perform.

2. Headhunter

Headhunter Is fed up with waiting for a Chiappa Rhino

the funnel type are okay for bb's but you have to remember that it's steel to steel contact, ultimately the catcher takes a good battering and the bb's end up with little dents too, which is only really important if you are planning to re-use the bb's (which is a big plus if you shoot bb guns).

If catching bb's for further re-use is one of your considerations then the old cardboard box filled with old jumpers (etc.) is a blindingly good idea, just take ten minutes to prep the box properly (duct/parcel tape, cut an opening in the front for where the target will go, a couple of clips for holding the target cards) and you're away. You can even use a magnet inside a bag to pick up all the bb's and once you've got them all, turn the bag inside out, remove the magnet and you've got a bag of bb's to start the whole process all over again !

Honest John and Wild Bill like this.
  3. Honest John

Thank you @Headhunter, I’m warming to your suggestion of a filled cardboard box. I have always avoided bb guns because my club doesn’t allow them. Since lockdown I’ve done a huge amount of pistol shooting at home in my wood turning workshop where I can manage about7.5 yards total. I really didn’t want steel bbs bouncing back at me or my machinery. The most interesting guns (to me) with realism, full blow back and lock back on empty are all BB guns, so there is a sort of yearning that will soon I fear become a desire then a necessity. Be really good to be able to reuse the ammo as the lead I’ve chucked around lately is becoming ridiculous. I can empty the 20 round mag in my Sig X5 in no time! Your filled cardboard box sounds like a really good way of recycling some of the many boxes that you accumulate in our buy on line society. Will the bbs always pass through cardboard and packing tape, or will a missed target fire the bb back at me from the surface of the box? I’m sorry with the trivial question but I’ve no experience at all of the power and destructive capability of a BB gun. I’ve never even fired one. Getting stronger the yearning is :futile:

Headhunter likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore Industious Member

You could stuff a jumper with old towels, rags etc. and put it at the back of the box so there is no barrier in front of it other than the paper target suspended by tape. The chances of hitting anything other than the paper is very remote. I am doing much the same with a slab of 4inch thick insulation board for my airsoft rifle. The foam gobbles up the BBs without a ricochet or a sound but you might need a bit of plywood at the back of your box as you're shooting steel or lead instead of plastic.

5. Headhunter

I'm an avid CO2 replica revolver NUT, but I do have a soft spot for the bb autos. As you said, the full working action, blowback, lock back on last shot, full size drop out magazine and field strip ability make them a big winner in my book when compared to a lot of pellet firing autos.

The bb's will either pass through the cardboard box or get stuck in it if you miss your actual target card and I don't get any 'bounce back' when using this system and the fact that I can re-use the bb's is a huge bonus too. A little tip for the box, I folded up some old jeans and t-shirts to the same size as the box (the same size as the back of the box - vertical x horizontal) and put them in another t-shirt and then taped it all up to act as a full sized soft back stop, that way you've got a one piece removable item that helps when recovering spent bb's. It doesn't need to be as deep as the box (about half is good enough), that way the bb's hit it, the impact is absorbed and they fall to the bottom of the box :)

If you need, I can post a few pictures up to show you exactly what I mean......that's not a problem buddy.

Honest John likes this.
  6. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

I’m not really in bb but recently have a dual fuel. Cardboard boxes are good for steel but I tend to shoot the AGS plastic Blasters into my steel target box and they just smash to bits behind the card.
    DF1ED819-B018-45F6-BE38-EAF6547E3787.jpeg

Honest John likes this.
  7. Honest John

Ok guys I think I’m sold on this bb lark. I like the idea of reusing the bbs. The only thing that has been stopping me is the ricochet issues, which I think the cardboard box trap solves. I have seen many pics of other people’s efforts on target with BB guns getting better groups than I manage with pellets so I am now convinced that the mechanics are ok. I just now need to have a think about what would be a suitable gun to tick all the boxes. Full blowback, quality manufacture, field strip able, reliable and accurate. A 1911 looks interesting but there are just so many of them to choose from. What would be considered the best?

Headhunter likes this.
  8. Headhunter

Most, if not all, of the bb firing 1911 pistols are all made by KWC, externally there might be a few differences but internally they're all basically the same (Remington, Swiss Arms, Tanfoglio Witness, etc.), so choose one that suits your pocket and personality (with or without tactical rails, hammer shape, colour etc.).

I own two Remington 1911's (2x Remington RACs), not because I actively choose them over other brands but one came in a double gun trade and the other was a non-working 'bargain' that I just could not resist (yep, resistance is futile, I know - lol). Any that you choose are bound to be much the same as the next, so let your heart decide which one you want, they all work equally as well as one or another. Both of mine have gone through a few changes, both in terms of colour and shape, the 1911 is an easy pistol to modify to suit yourself too (if you're so inclined), here's mine......

2 1911 - 2.jpg

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Firearm Enthusiast & FX Wildcat owner.

Not all. The Max Michel and SIG Sauer Spartans are made in Japan. As is the Daisy Winchester M1911 4.5mm co2. None of these are made by KWC.

7262430-22155791-thumbnail.jpg Right-Side-HAM.jpg Spartan-2.jpg

:thumb:

ibo7 and PBaz Barrett like this.
  10. Ade C

Ade C Busy Member

The most accurate BB blowback I've ever come across is the Sig P226 X Five. KWC do what is essentially the same gun called the P226. Fully adjustable sights and groups well inside an inch at 6 yds. The 1911's are good, but not as accurate as these

11. Headhunter

Yeah you're right there WB, but to be fair I did state right at the beginning 'Most', :rolleyes:

Obviously we were talking about CO2 replica realism with bb guns, but if you really want a plastic stick mag version and non standard grips you'd go for any of those three (Daisy Winchester, Sig Max Michel & Sig Molon Abe) but in truth if you're after a decent 1911 replica (full working action, blowback, working grip safety, full size drop free mag, field strip ability, standard 1911 grips, lock back on last shot etc.) then the KWC versions have all of that.

12. Wild Bill

I do apologise I was sure you stated 'if not all'. :rolleyes:

Headhunter likes this.
  13. allanthomas66

allanthomas66 Heart Breaker & Life Taker...

Not to mention the Umarex Colt special combat....

combat-classic-3-900x800.jpg

ibo7, PBaz Barrett and Headhunter like this.
  14. Q__C

Q__C Well-Known Member

I use the box with fabric in method for my Airsoft stuff .... works very well, I’ve actually created a version with my chrono mounted in a panel so I can shoot through the chrono in my shed without worrying about bouncing bbs, works perfectly

Headhunter likes this.
  15. talyllyn

talyllyn Busy Member

I used a box knocked up from some scrap MDF stuck together with hot melt glue.
    P1050546 small.jpg
    In use I have a folded up T shirt inside , the front fits a 17cm square target that is held in place using magnets on the screw heads that you can see ( the first ones I put in turned out to be non magnetic!).
    P1050547 small.jpg
    I've been using this since the start of the year and the sloping back is showing no signs of BBs hitting it so far. I also have a bar magnet in the front to collect the BBs.
    This is only used with pistols, I'm not sure if BB rifles are more powerful.

Cheers
    Don

PBaz Barrett and Headhunter like this.
  16. Twoplusfour1

Twoplusfour1 Donator

PicsArt_06-15-09.09.27.jpg kwc (this one is a Swiss arms) 1911 is a great, cheaper one to begin with. Realistically though, you aren't going to stop at one. This forum taught me to stop saying "which should I buy". You should be asking "which should I buy first " ;)
    P. S. They're all the best!

PBaz Barrett and Headhunter like this.
  17. Headhunter

Yep, I'd forgotten about that one too :oops:

18. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

Yep agree, One of my favourite pieces the swiss arms 1911. Just ordered some walnut grips for it :up:..

Twoplusfour1 and Wild Bill like this.
  19. Wild Bill

20. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

Very nice.. :up: