1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

case hardening

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by chefslot, Sep 30, 2014.

1. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

So i have heard about case hardening, after stripping down my mod60 and polishing parts of the gun out, i noticed the cocking arm to be made from soft metal. i was thinking about case hardening the foot to harden it and to also help it glide. i was also thinking about the piston but that does appear to be made from a high carbon steel, but im no expert. What do you guys think?* Regards jon

2. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Get yourself any good weihrauch

3. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, this would not be something i would recommend, lets say you case hardened to foot you would have a weak link with rest of arm so best to do the complete unit, there are degrees of case harden but if you decide to do heat up till blue but no more and dip in oil might give that extra strength. would not consider piston, the foreign made rifles like chinese do not use quality steel like say HWs.

4. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Mmmm this is what i was thinking, but could i not re-temper it so it is not as fragile but still have a higher carbon content?
    Regards jon

5. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

That's not case hardening, If its low carbon steel, heating it up and quenching will achieve precisely nothing.

6. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Precisely mate, i shall explain for the others, heat to red hot then add to the hardening powder, remove excess material and then temper back down ( a little more to it then that, but thats the jist ) Do you think it will make the sliding action on the piston smoother nick?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

If you use a hardening powder such as kasenit, you will only achieve a very shallow depth of case, and it wont last very long, To be honest it probably wont make any difference to the cocking, or the action of the piston, probably best to just de burr and keep it well lubed.

8. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Cheers nick, words of wisdom.

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I'll have to get myself a weihrauch,didn't know they did case hardening.

10. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, maybe i should have made it a bit clear, i put case hardening but that is using a special formula and does not go to great depth, the way i mention is ideal if you only want to extra harden but not to make brittle, you can do as i described using water to quench quick or use oil as we did in a major engineering factory, you can heat to cherry red but i did not think that suitable for that componant. i suggest you read how to case harden steel on wikihow.

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Remember that quenching and rapid cooling could also cause warping like it does in knife blades.

12. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

yes matty but knife blades are most made of carbon steel or stainless and require a different technique. i just put a way for the forum member to do without to much hassle. foreign made cheaper air rifles like from china can never be compaired to the quality materials like used in HWs or AA,

13. keithy

keithy Very Active

case hardening will not work on low carbon mild steel unless you heat it to cherry red or hotter and immerse in graphite powder. The quenching method will work on high carbon steel (think drills, gauge plate, silver steel etc) I very much doubt that the part on your rifle is made of high grade (expensive) steel.:rolleyes:

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

When I did my engineering apprenticeship and then gunmaking.

We learned about Pack carburizing.

This is when you can place a low carbon steel gun part in a box full of charcoal, coke, even leather, and heat it for a few hours then quench it to freeze its state.

What happens if the outer layer of steel absorbs the high carbon content and case hardens the other layer as much as up to 1mm, this has been used in gunmaking for hundreds of years.

I remember been very nervous about handling expensive shotgun actions until I was told to try and file a £100k shotgun action that had been case hardened and the big bstd file just ran over it like it was made from glass, the manager then took it out the vice and threw it across the bench even though it had been engraved:eek:, he said don't be afraid nothing will touch this now, point taken everyday was a schoolday:D

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You still run the risk of distortion when any heat applied(heat treating gears are the worse for this) ,it may be fractional or otherwise,how much is down to that individual piece or steel though.

I wouldn't say the materials is what sets these rifles apart (turk not Chinese) it's more of the interior and exterior finish and general care taken during assembly that puts the German or English rifles ahead.

Beware though,Turkey is catching up :p

I personally wouldn't harden anything except load bearing pins like the 3 at the back and several in the trigger group.

16. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, by materials i mean the quality of the steel used say in china to germany, having been to china a number of times and researched there manufacturing processes and visited certain factories there quality control is still not to the standards of many EU countries, you would think that china being such a modern country now still use bamboo poles as a scaffold tube.

17. rkr

rkr Keyboard Hero

Next time you do BBQ you could bury the part in hot coals for half and hour and then dip in to used engine oil. It should give you a very thin layer of carbon steel at the surface as well as black surface. I did that to the loading lever I made for my Evanix and it has been working well since.

[​IMG]

18. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Yeah been looking into it a bit. What first caught my eye was how the Vikings used to make a superior sword etc. It being heated in a carbon rich environment, this led to was were it is done now using kilns and baking it in a cask, like larry potterfield has done on his youtube videos.

I was hoping to maybe try to get a glass finish on both the piston and the cocking foot. Surely once quenched you would then have to reheat and slowly cool to allow for less brittle material?

many thanks

19. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Nice work mate. Well been looking into old recipes and most are a mixture of bone, wood and leather charcoal. These are organic ways, i have heard a lot about a fantastic powder that is now been banned as it is too dangerous for people to use.

Regards jon

20. chefslot

chefslot Active Member

Spot on mate. Thou i couldn't do this style as no kiln, do you think heating it up cherry red and then dropping into a powder of bone charcoal and leather a few times may work? Years chefing we heat a pan up hot and rub salt and oil into it to make non stick, called seasoning the pan, i think this is on the same lines but at a lot lesser effect, because as soon as some numpty stuck it in the pot wash it was ruined again.