1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Carrying Power

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kevg88, Nov 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM.

1. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

So I've just got an FX impact stx .22 barrel.
    With my .177 barrel in I'm getting 11.6 ftlbs,
    Just put the .22 barrel in and without adjusting anything I'm getting 10.5 ft lb with an 8 FPS spread over 28 shots, happy days.

I thought about it and was tempted to adjust closer to the limit, the thing that put me off was the fact if I swap back to .177 again id be over the limit.
    Crunched the details in chairgun and at 40 yards the .177 is at 7.2ft lb's
    What surprised me was the .22 is still carrying 7 ft lb's.
    So that made the decision for me no tinkering needed!

Anyway not really a question just never quite realised how much power the .22 carries!

Nuggett, keithy, Geordiedan and 4 others like this.
  2. Geordiedan

Geordiedan Engaging Member

Interesting result and not what I’d have expected - typically .177 being less efficient needs more air to make power, you you’d see .22 being higher after a barrel swap with a PCP

Perhaps the valve is open sufficiently quickly in yours that the pulse of air is snappier and favours the smaller pellet. What weights were you using in each cal?

Good result though and means minimal faff when doing barrel swaps :thumb:

Nords and TORNADOS7 like this.
  3. Jimmypie

Jimmypie AGF Leshiy rehoming service

4. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Aii me too! I think as the transfer port and pellet probe are changed aswell it must Restrict the amount of air a bit more :-D definitely happy with it though haha!
    In .177 I'm using AA fields 8.4grn BC 0.021
    In .22 in using jsb Hades 15.89grn BC 0.023

Jukebox, cloverleaf and Geordiedan like this.
  5. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Jimmypie likes this.
  6. Geordiedan

Geordiedan Engaging Member

Transfer port will explain it most likely :thumb::cool:

7. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Cracking bit of kit like

Geordiedan likes this.
  8. robs5230

robs5230 You don't need a sledgehammer, to crack a nut

As said above, its odd that a change from .177 to .22 doesn't result in a power increase.

Its down to setup.
    You should need far less air per shot in .22 so at current settings in .22 you're wasting air. Not a problem if it isn't important to you
    I'd have a word with @Jeffsky though

Be careful of an off reg spike too

Geordiedan likes this.
  9. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Aii I think it's just down to the transfer port being different I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes after a few hundred shots!

10. Jeffsky

Jeffsky Posting Addict

On the impact as you say the TP is the restriction on the 177 it has a 3.2 and the .22 is 2 mm from memory with a bit of mucking about you can get them to be a straight swap with almost no power change

robs5230, 32:1 and talent like this.
  11. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin BEAST OF BODMIN

:facepalm: Power.....o_O :rolleyes:

I would be more interested in the pellet speed... not ‘power’.... to tune my rifle... unless it’s simply legalities you’re worried about

and obviously the consistent accuracy of your chosen projectile at a given speed :thumb:

Jeffsky likes this.
  12. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Hi Jeff in .22 546 FPS average over 28 shots with a low to high spread of 8 FPS :)

In .177 it's 786 FPS over 38 shots average with a 12 FPS spread :)

Jeffsky likes this.
  13. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

And as accurate as it should be

Jeffsky likes this.
  14. Jeffsky

Jeffsky Posting Addict

That's pretty good mate, and if it's accurate your good :thumb: what i do when i am balancing a 2 barrel setup i would open the .22 TP up a little and get the power as close as i can to the .177 power so they are both running at mid 11's then you can use the power wheel to adjust the pellet speed to get the best accuracy with no worry's about going over 12:thumb:

32:1 and Kevg88 like this.
  15. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Ahh that's a good shout never thought of that, Love this forum haha!

Jeffsky likes this.
  16. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Might get a spare and have a go :)

Jeffsky likes this.
  17. Jeffsky

Jeffsky Posting Addict

That is the beauty of the FX setup you can get the power up on both barrels and use the power wheel to get the pellet speed you want very quickly when changing calibre with no fear of going over 12 ftlb :D

Lev Levvin and 32:1 like this.
  18. Jeffsky

Jeffsky Posting Addict

Just go up very slowly with the hole size :thumb: it doesn't take much :D

19. 32:1

32:1 Theoben, Kalibrgun and ‘cough’ FX user

My crown in .177 guise is 11.2 and a quick calibre change to .25 gets me 11.6 with no tweaks, @Jeffsky has worked on both barrels and shortening the .177

My next experiment will be dropping the .25 power with the wheel to as low as possible and see if we lose any accuracy

Chris

Kevg88 and Jeffsky like this.
  20. Kevg88

Kevg88 Engaging Member

Cheers haha! I'll have an un tampered one on standby, thanks for your help!

Jeffsky likes this.