1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Car question

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by career707lover, Jun 15, 2014.

1. career707lover

career707lover Busy Member

Hey guys, right first off, I dont really like modern cars as I hate all the electronics etc, great when they work but when they break, your car doesnt work and its usually expensive. My question is can you bump start a car with a knackered ECU? Im not too clued up on all the electronic stuff but I gather that the ECU is the "brains" i.e. can do all sorts of things from come up with correct air/fuel mixture to control ignition and allow your car to start, show fault codes etc.

Im just wondering if a car wont start because the ECU is broken, by bump starting it, i.e. taking the ignition, battery and most of the electronics etc out of the equations would it maybe fire up as it would get a spark from the bump start, but just conk out again because it doesnt have the ECU controlling everything (fuel/air/pumps) or would it run but just not run at optimum level? Thanks :)

2. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Sorry mate, it just won't work, it needs the ECU to work all the electronics from fuel/air mix to valve timing, and if it's knackered you could get total engine failure. Normally it goes wrong, but then drops into a "get me home" mode, if it fails totally and cannot be reprogramed, it's toast!

James

3. career707lover

career707lover Busy Member

Thanks James, really appreciate the reply mate :) I was hoping that was not going to be the case but suspected it might be lol. That explains a lot though as my mate had a sports car that kept going into something called "limp" mode so that sounds similar.

With mine I can send the ECU off to someone and see if 1) It definitely is the ECU and 2) If they can repair it then its still coded to my car so hopefully its not toast and repairable.Thanks again bud :)

4. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

The answer is subjective, firstly it depends what is wrong with the ECU and what it's fitted to, think of an older Diesel engine as an example as they will run with no electrics whatsoever ( no spark plugs ) which is why they are favoured for off-roading , if a car goes into " limp mode" it more likley a sign that a different fault has occurred and the ecu is functioning correctly by putting it into limp mode ( if it was pickled there is less chance it would be able to go into limp mode) before assuming its the ecu you should invest £40 in a code reader from flea bay or borrow one and plug it Into your cars OBD socket , this is designed to read off any faults on the ecu and tell you what the fault is ( another job the ecu is designed to do) . It could be something simple like a lambda sensor that is faulty. My shogun went Into limp mode a few times as did my Mercedes and it was a simple split in the turbo hose causing it on both occasions , a lot cheaper than sending off or replacing the ECU , what is the fault? What car is it ? Any other symptoms?

5. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Also bump starting a modern car can damage the catalytic converter I believe if my memory serves me well.

6. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    Like most of the previous replies car manufactures have made most cars ecu controlled but early 1990,s peugeot diesels powered cars would start with a bump and like Patrick has said you will fxxk up your catalytic converter trying to bump start it,best car to buy would be a ford with a starting handle used to start with one swing

7. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Spent most of my working life,about 35yrs, in the motor trade(on the parts side)and all i can say is modern cars are streets ahead of their predecessors.Even a small hatch back comes with virtually everything on it.Do we really want to go back to the days of starting handles,vacuum wipers,drum brakes all round and servicing every 6000 miles with oil changes every 3000 miles.When I started in the motor trade( 1963) it was only the deluxe model of a car that had a heater as standard everything else was an accessory or optional extra,for what there was.Those days have long gone thanks

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I'm not very well versed in car fixings but I agree, modern cars are amazing and very reliable most of the time. There was a free DVD in some car magazine that showed the level of research and development that's been going into the humble Ford Fiesta through the years. Doing things like keeping an engine going 24/7 until it died to figure out which parts are most likely to fail and then doing something to improve the design as a consequence. Pretty hardcore stuff.

Having owned a couple they rarely needed anything major done to them until I did my own destruction test as a pizza delivery driver with a 2001 model for 4 years. Over those 4 years, mostly tyres, brake pads and oil changes were required but later a coil-pack (whatever that is:rolleyes:) needed changing and my car went into "limp home mode" but was fairly easily fixed by a mechanic family friend. Later still, not long before I quit the clutch went, but between myself and my father we bought and replaced it on our driveway over several months. The main cost being £70 for the new clutch assembly.

With normal social/commuter use, I'd expect very little trouble from any modern car.

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Most modern cars providing they're serviced regularly will give trouble free motoring,a thing we've come to expect and take for granted.Most,not all,problems arise from lack of maintenance,this is born out by the AA stating that a lot of their call outs are due to lack of maintenance.Modern cars do carry a lot of sophisticated electronic equipment which can be very expensive when it goes wrong especially on the more expensive sophisticated models but it doesn't happen that often fortunately If anyone wants my humble advice on buying a car(secondhand) it's this:
    (a) don't buy a car with little or no service history,unless it's reflected in the selling price,no s/history usually means no maintenance
    (b)be cautious about buying a car that's been owned by a young female,after all if it's a choice between getting the car serviced or a new pair of high heels which do you think she'll choose,it wont be the car serviced.Also most young girl drivers never check the levels until the warning light comes on then dad usually has to do it.
    (c) sometimes it's better to buy a car with a slightly higher mileage than normal providing it's been properly and regularly serviced than a lower mileage one without the regular and proper maintenance as most cars these days do phenomenal mileage A taxi driver customer of ours once had a Vauxhall Carlton that was on its 3rd time round the clock on the same engine.

10. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Ohhh Patrick you old romantic, I had forgotten about these:D Next you will be serenading us with tales of twin 40s and bilsteins all round LOL :D

James

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes I remember the days when disc brakes started coming in and people use to put a "CAUTION DISC BRAKES" sticker on the back of their car and vinyl seat cover material,not cloth,that use to get bloody hot in the summer if your car was left in the sun.:eek::D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  12. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Strewth!!! You're really old aren't you!:eek:;)

13. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

So if a cat would be damaged by bump starting a car how is this different to an old fashioned silencer?

14. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Don't quote me on this, because I am a bit hazy on it. My understanding was that during "bump starting", a lot of unburnt fuel can find it's way into the Cat Converter, when the engine does fire, the resulting small explosion of the unburnt fuel in the cat converter causes damage to the "precious metals" within, or summat along those lines? A silencer of course has no such metals within it.

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yep that's basically it,don't know the exact technicalities but it's all to do with unburnt fuel entering the catalytic converter and having an adverse effect on the precious metal(s),platinum I believe,inside.

P.S I'm 67 by the way Ichabod

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

It's as Inchabod said i.e unburnt fuel entering the converter,surprised you didn't know that.

17. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I was right then, you is ancient!!!!! Oh well, I am 66, so yer ancienter than me!:D I tend to forget sometimes you know that a lot of the younger ones wont have a clue what us old farts are on about half the time........."WARNING DISC BRAKES" I remember those stickers, and I remember why those stickers. It would open the eyes of the younger drivers these days to spend just a couple of hours behind the wheel of the likes of a Standard 8 or an Austin 7.........

0-60?? maybe eventually if there is a following wind!:D

Braking distances?? least said soon as mended!:eek::D

Austin Cambridges and Morris Oxfords and the like with "Floppsy Bunny" Armstrong shock absorbers???............Redex upper cylinder lubricant, if you went into a garage today and asked for 4 and 4 shots, they would think you were after class A drugs or summat!:D

Oh b****r it, that's enough nostalgia for one day!!:loco::D

18. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes Ichabod 4 gallons & 4 shots and all for a £1! Premium(4star) petrol 4s/9d(24p) a gallon,Regular(2star) 4s/3d(21p)a gallon and Reddex 1d a shot at the garage where I worked and an attendant to fill your car for you.Mind you wages were a bit grim

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Ah yes I remember it well!:thumb: It hardly seems credible now does it?

By the way, the names Ray.....................Nobody is called Ichabod!!!!:D Wages??? Oh yeah.......£2-10s-6d was my first weeks wage, I thought I was rich!!!!!! Used to get a monthly bonus that shoved it up to about £5-12s-0d.

20. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Ray mine was £3-13s-6d gross,£3-6s-9d net after deductions and had to give my mum £1 house keeping (dad made sure I did).But at least jobs were pretty plentiful then when I started work in 1962