1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Cap gun

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Evolve82, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Can anyone remember the cap guns we had when we were kids? Anyone still have one they don't want? How loud are they really- not just what I can remember from years back!

Anyone know where you can buy one from? Not online, in a real shop as I really wanted to get it tomorrow. Tried toys r us, Argos but doesn't look like you can buy them there! Any other ideas?!

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Used to buy mine from corner shops and markets along with a tube of the 8 ring types or a handful of the paper rolls.

3. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Yeah, same here mate. Can't seem to get them! Hmmmm.

4. Jake_snake

Jake_snake Engaging Member

OMG, my best mate lived across the road, well my Mum has got pics of us with cap guns and cowboy hats on :D
    Remember he had a golly wog jumper and you can see some smoke from a cap.
    What about those white things that you threw on the floor and they made a bang noise similar to a cap.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Oh,and those,little die cast rockets you,pushed a cap onto and lobbed into the air,hoping it wouldn't land on you :D

6. resnikov

resnikov Busy Member

Smyth's toy shop stock cap guns, got one each for my nephews and my daughters.

Not very loud :( but the kids love them.

7. Jake_snake

Jake_snake Engaging Member

There is a Smyths toy shop about 18 miles away.

8. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Will Have a look there then. Thanks.

I want it for a bit of Gundog training. My dog always runs in when she hears a shot- no matter WHAT the consequences are. Got a blank firer but the boy is not strong enough to cock it each time and is too loud to use in the garden with neighbours. Thought that would be a good alternative to help her get used to sitting on a bang rather than running in! Better than nothing I guess.

Was considering dry firing a springer to get a louder bang for the garden without causing neighbours distress- yeah I know about the damage dangers of doing that!

9. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Found it in smyths- thanks! Do you know if they sell the caps for it too? Can't find them online.

10. resnikov

resnikov Busy Member

My local one has the caps in store.

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Amazon sell them

12. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Can get them online easily. But want to go to a real shop to buy one as said on my original post.

13. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Thought you asked about Caps available online? :confused:

14. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

That's not really the way you should be training the dog though. You need to be getting him sitting properly to the stop whistle. ( single long blast)
    Then if he runs in, stoping him on the stop whistle.
    Cap guns are ok for starting off gun shy dogs. But a dog that has been in the field will know the difference.

When you train with dummies or cold / warm game use 2 birds or dummies.
    Send him for one blow the stop whistle and then send him for the other bird, picking up the first bird yourself.

Basically the left dummy, right dummy, back dummy exercise you train a puppy to take hand signals with.

Cheers Andy

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Am aware and have been doing that Andy. Am using it as a bit of an intermediary as I haven't got anyone to fire a starting pistol for me at distance. She can stop on the whistle and will do all the time- until she hears a shot with the dummy. There is no stopping her- believe me she doesn't give a damn about ANY consequences when running in after a shot has gone off.

With the cap gun she will sit as a dummy is thrown and a shot fired. However, she is still trembling and desperate to run in to retrieve. She lunges forwards every time it bangs and a verbal from me is usually enough to deter her. She has just got to the point 3 days of caps use and she will sit with no lead as I throw and fire a cap at the same time.

I know it is not the right way of doing things but is a cure to a problem I am working on right now alongside all her other 'proper' training. We have been at the clay ground too and just sitting and remaining g calm (well that's the intention) and making sure she never gets a retrieve from a shot at the moment. Slow progress but will try a .22 blank again at end of the month and see how she does then.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  16. r10hunter

Have you already worked her on warm game? I have never known a dog get excited by a shot until they have worked warm game.
    Can you throw one dummy to your left one to the right. Send her for the last dummy thrown then stop her on her way to retrieve it on the whistle and send her for the first dummy thrown?

If you can't stop her on the way to a retrieve go back to the stop whistle training.

If she won't go for the other dummy on your hand signal, stop her again and pick up the dummy she wants to get yourself and send her for the other.

You are curing the shot problem with the pistols but not in the right way.
    Until you get the hup ( sit )100% you will get the same problem again when birds fall in front of her. Or are wounded and flap around. Or when she sees one bird fall but you need to send her on a runner in another direction. Or when another dog goes for a retrieve etc etc.

I take it you don't throw retrieves too often. That's playing stick, 80% of you retrieves should be the dog being sent for a retrieve it has not seen thrown. You also need to be letting her see a thrown retrieve stopping her and sending her for a blind retrieve. It all reinforces control.
    I would not introduce a shot at all until you have good control, once you have control the shot won't be an issue.
    Good luck with the training.
    Cheers Andy

17. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Not had warm game, just dummies mate. However, she was let run and chase a dummy launcher when she was younger and now associates the bang with a run and chase.

I can throw a dummy and stop her. Then throw another for her to retrieve. Never tried the way you suggested- a little beyond her at the mo I think.

Again with the blinds she is not yet 100% on those. I am sending her for a seen or memory retrieve on her way back a blind is put out for her. When she finishes the retrieve I then send her for the blind. She is now getting there with this. As I said the other one you mentioned is a little beyond her yet.

All the above is done without a shot at all. At a club I go to they had a dummy launcher and that is how she responded. I was not able to stop her like I can do normally! The sound sent her to such a high frame of mind she just didn't/couldn't listen. She was so excited by the noise.

Took her again the the clay ground today and she was sitting with shot in the background. Her ears were still back and she was defo interested but she wasn't shaking with excitement like last time I took her. The isolated gun work I have been doing with her has obviously made a difference.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. r10hunter

Have you cracked it yet ? Has she steadied up ??
    Cheers Andy

19. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Ongoing mate. She is still very excited by the sound of shot. Took her to the clay ground again last weekend and she was just sitting there quietly. She was still in a heightened state with ears back and very alert etc but much better than before. Plan on going again tomorrow. Let her out the car for half hour before my round and when the shots go will start throwing a few dummies rolling some tennis balls around so she sees something going on.

Also gone back to the stop whistle and doing that again. She is getting the idea of dummy thrown, stop half way then throw another one and send her for that.

Thanks for asking Andy- getting there slowly. Not going to be picking up with me this season but will take her fowling after Christmas but not let he have any retrieves- that way should be all good by the time next season comes!

20. r10hunter

Nice one!!!!
    Cheers Andy