1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes Canted scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, May 18, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Quick question really, does it matter if your scope is canted?

As I do it by eye and by how my head fits the stock and then adjust till it looks level with my head position.
    But when someone else uses it they said it was "wonky" but is it best to make it less comfortable for you or to have it canted but in a natural orientation for you.

Surely the pellet drops vertically so as long as your holding the scope reticle vertically then it doesn't matter?

2. Jimthebrewer

Jimthebrewer Engaging Member

How can a circular tube be uncomfortable for you in any position, it's the same right around. If your grouping with it consistently then it works for you...it's only if your adjusting your shots for windage and elevation that the scope being canted can be an issue.

3. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Because you have to orientate your head to adjust for the rotation of the scope... So your cheek will be different on the rest.

I shoot at different ranges so I use more than the centre zero.

So what I'm saying is as long as you hold the rifle so the scopes axis are horizontal or vertical then really it shouldn't matter If it's canted?

4. 177

177 Donator

Yes, it makes a difference.

If your vertical is out of whack due to a canted scope your mil dots don't directly correspond to vertical drop since they are also off to one side or the other (depending ono which way the scope is canted).

This becomes more of a problems the further away your target and corresponding aim point is.

Aligning a scope is a pain.

I usually put the gun on a pair of lead shot filled shooting bags and then use a spirit level to check the gun itself it vertically level.

I then use a plumb line downrange to align the vertical posts of the scope and make sure it doesn't move when clamping the mounts down. Usually I use two allen keys in opposite mount bolts and turn the simultaneously which seems to minimise scope movement when tightening the mounts.

Of course, once you have a correctly aligned scope, the trick then is to find a shooting style that keeps the gun and scope vertically aligned when shooting...

:rolleyes:

Bu the short answer is that, yes, a misaligned scope becomes inherently less accurate either at very close or longer ranges, with only one 'sweet spot' at its zero point, so it's worth putting the effort into fettling your rig.

Long range full bore shooters go to great lengths to ensure that their rig is correctly aligned and that they are holding the rig correctly aligned for this very reason.

5. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Thanks, i understand this, but surely if your holding the scope horizontal/vertically correct then the pellet will drop down the reticle post?

6. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Hi Tom, if you don't get the axis of the scope and the barrel lined up correctly you will get crossover at any range other than your zero range.
    Imagine turning the scope clockwise a bit, now if you eye up through the scope the rifle will be canted to the left with the barrel being slightly to right of centre. The pellet will still hit at your zero but closer shots will be to the right, longer shots will go left.
    If you have that problem it is possible to rectify it just by turning the scope slightly but a better way is to set the gun in a cradle and level with a spirit level, then hang a plumb line 20 odd yards away to use as a reference point for the vertical line of the reticule, turn the scope so with the gun level the reticle covers the string of the plumb line, nip up the scope and away you go!
    Regards
    Tim

177 beat me to it!

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Aah okay now I can get my head round it, because I was thinking if your zeroed then surely the pellets drop from the centre directly down with gravity.

But i didn't take into consideration the gap between the scope and barrel. This is what causes it due to the barrel not rotating around with it. If the gap between the scope a2nd barrel wasnt there then you'd Not have a problem.

If that makes sense.

8. 177

177 Donator

No, if you have a misaligned scope and you hold it vertically then that means the gun is out of alignment to the vertical.

Example:

Gun vertical + scope canted.

Hold that rig with the gun vertical and the scope will be out to the side past zero range.

Hold the same rig with the scope vertical and you had to cant the gun to get the scope aligned, forcing the gun out of alignment.

Apologies for the crude diagram:

[​IMG]

Either way, your gun or scope will be out of the corresponding vertical plane when on target, which is why the scope has to be vertically aligned to the gun. If you look at where the barrel is in relation to your aim points, that's where anomalies will creep in since only the gun or the scope will be correctly aligned when on target, but you need both for accurate shooting at different distances.

9. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

It's probable fine at your zero range, but you'll find POI will move off to one side as range increases.

Have a look at this animation. it'll show you the affect of cant, you will be canting the rifle to make the reticle vertical.

http://www.arld1.com/images/swfs/impactpointvscantangle.swf

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Cheers animation isn't working on my phone atm.

So am I right in saying I could zero the rifle on a perfectly verticle line target. And then if I lower my zero all the way and then fire it should hit that line again aswell as the reticle line to be mounted properly?