1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Can my PCP be adjusted to FAC power?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Oat, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Oat

Oat Very Active

Firstly let me state i have no interest in how this is done, nor do i really want advice about how it is done.

I am trying to fathem out the cost of getting an FAC. If i did get FAC, could my BSA Ultra SE be upgraded by a gunsmith, or do i need to buy a new gun? And what sort of range would a .22 FAC air rifle be able to shoot (kill bunnies) at?

I have another gun so i would still have a sub 12ft/lb for where non FAC power is needed.

2. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

You can make most rifles FAC!!!! Anything over 12fpe is FAC,,,,,,

3. ray7

ray7 Engaging Member

Why not ask BSA they will be able to tell you the safe maximum and what shot count you would get. Looking at the sub 12 shot count as an fac your not going to get a lot.
    BSA email enquiries@bsaguns.com

Ray

4. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

Bottom line is don't bother getting your existing gun uprated even if it can be done, the shot count after uprating would be ridiculously low. Get an additional buddy bottle rifle that is FAC from the outset. 30/40 ft/lbs means you will comfortably take bunnies out to 80 yards but remember you will still have trajectory issues to deal with. Even FAC rifles don't give you perfectly straight shooting and are still very much down to the ability of the user. FAC rifles are not the promised land many shooters think.

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

This.

Only thing I'd question would be the distance - would think 50-60yd is more appropriate for FAC air; wouldn't go past 80yd with a rimfire tbh.

6. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

The resale value of FAC rifles is a lot lower than the 12ftlb's equivalent & it's a much smaller market so they can be harder to shift. You would be much better off selling your existing gun & using the cash to buy a ready made FAC version.
    Have a look around ******* & the dealers to see what I mean.
    Also when you convert a gun to FAC you can't simply convert it back, it's serial no. is registered with the Police as requiring an FAC, & there'd better be one...

7. neil82

neil82 Busy Member

one other point when thinking of converting an ultra, some of them had such a short barrel that if it did creep into FAC power levels it would become a prohibited weapon

8. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

Plus you'd get about 2 shots out of an Ultra at 40fpe!

9. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Agreed, when I had S1 air, I really appreciated the flatter trajectory and the harder hitting pellet rather than range extension.

10. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

Are you sure its that many?

11. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

You can get 20+ shots at 20+ fpe from a .22 Ultra. The upper limit is around 25-27 fpe and the shotcount gets lower the higher you go. With light pellets that's 850-900 fps and you can check the trajectory with chairgun.

12. warrenater

warrenater Donator

As already stated you would be spending good money to de-value your gun , much easier to sell then buy an already fac pcp of your choice ( Theres lots of second hand around but you can't have my rapid lol ) . atb Gary. :)

13. Oat

Oat Very Active

Thanks folks. Answer is to budget for a new rifle....
    Just sussing it all out and weighing up my options.

14. jameswrx

jameswrx Engaging Member

Can anyone explain this

http://youtu.be/tRkk7iPBENU

sub 12 airgun? 100yds! I know it's 'only' a can but it must have some energy to do that at 100yds?

I can't imagine any of my sub 12 rifles doing that at 50yds!

15. Oat

Oat Very Active

You're right! What a load of testicles. 100 yards (surely he means 100feet?!) and going through both side of a bean tin - apart from being big hairy nuts it surely sets the wrong example.

Edit: If it is proven correct then i think the sales of FX Wildcats will rise sharply!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  16. ray7

ray7 Engaging Member

Don`t know about going right through both sides but according to chairgun my .177 AT44-10 running at 11.2 ft/lb would still have 3.75 ft/lb left at 100 yd. That should be enough to go through 1 side.

Ray

17. smithys

smithys Busy Member

FAC is just another tool in your belt as a hunter, but really need something with better air supply, I use a scorpion se in 22 at 32ftlb total of 24 good usable shots, but as long as your not trigger happy really how many shots do you need, I remember the other night I went out only 4 shots for 4 kills 2 hour trip,

18. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I spoke to John Bowkett about the merits of pushing a sub 12 rifle into FAC territory in standard trim, he explained that the standard internal components couldn't handle the stresses for very long before they failed and you would only gain a couple of fpe at best without major modification and replacement of the internals. BSA Rifles can make considerable fpe with the right mods but I recall him explaining around the 28fpe was optimum - I can't remember the reasons for this.

To covert an r10 into a fully fledged FAC rated rifle would take approx. £250 If he did the work and it would completely de-value it as the market for them is tiny, so buying an FAC version would be better value for money and ensure that the gun could consistently maintain its purpose without components breaking down/failing.

That FX wildcat video is a load of bollcoks! My hold over at only 70 yards is twice that at 11.4fpe in .22 - it's got to be an FAC rated gun. :yehright:

19. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I must be the only one who believes the fx video. Scope shimmed and zeroed at 90 ish yards. 5.5ftlbs left on the pellet might well go through the tin for me.
    Cheers Andy

20. mr rooney

mr rooney Busy Member

Lol ! Any half decent sub 12ftlb can shoot through tin cans at 100 yards. My.20 HW100 can do it all day. Have a look at this video of a girl shooting tin cans at 200 yards!
    [video]https://youtu.be/bm2bZwdwVUo[/video]

Edit 200 meters not yards.