1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone teach me about JSB (and variant) batch numbers please?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Feb 25, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Following on from the 50m pellet uber-test I conducted recently, I'm looking to do some batch testing of one particular mass and shape. Given their popularity and abundance it seems sensible to try the 8.44gn flavour first (sold as JSB Exact, Air Arms Field, Daystate Sovereign, Daystate Select (now discontinued), FX summot-or-others..).

I'm generally happy to pull from a pool encompassing any of these brands since they're all from the same source and of broadly the same mass and shape. I would like to know more about the production batch numbers on the tins, though.

The JSBs have the familiar orange sticker on their underside, with an 8-digit number at the top, a single digit to the bottom left and the head size to the bottom right (the tin I'm looking at reads "43000013 1 4.52"). The Daystate Selects and Daystate FT Heavies (not the same weight, I know) follow the same format (although have different colour stickers).

Interestingly, the labelling on Air Arms pellets differs from the JSB format. The sticker is a different shape with 2 lines of information at the top (top line; a single digit and the date, bottom line head size, a single digit prefixed with an "S" then two other digits) beneath are a further two lines stating "Made in Czech Republic".

Daystate Sovereigns have the same size and shape sticker, but displaying five lines of information stating "Rangemaster Sovereign .177 8.8gr (500 per tin) Made in Czech Republic". There's nothing on the tin that could possibly be interpreted as a batch number.

So.. what can be learned from this and what information would be useful?

JSB Pellets : It would help to be able to decipher the JSB batch numbers. I found a thread on Shooting the Breeze about it - ultimately it appears that all one can do in an effort to ensure consistency between tins is to buy tins of JSBs that display the same 8-digit code at the top.

Air Arms Pellets: I'm skeptical that these tins are actually batched like the JSBs, given that there is a lot less space to display the relevant information on the tin's sticker. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who thinks or knows different :)

Daystate Pellets: It appears that the Selects (and Heavies) are batch numbered just as the JSBs are. The Sovereigns appear at best to be un-numbered according to batch, at worst the sweepings from the Exact swaging room floor (the tins don't even display a head size) - evidently well worth the quid premium over the other JSB offerings :rolleyes:

So my situation appears thus - I won't be buying / testing with the Sovereigns as, despite their inflated price, there's no traceability or facility to knowingly compare different pellets from different batches. Likewise I'm dubious of spending money on the Air Arms if they don't allow me to differentiate between them by batch.

I'll take a tin of the Selects (I know where there are still a few left ;)) as they're properly batch numbered. Past this it looks like a fair-sized order might be heading in Intershoot's direction, since those responsible for "officially" importing JSBs into the country seem to have little interest in offering a range greater than one variant in one head size :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

[​IMG]

The first number on the air arms pellets is the die number. This is probably the best to look out for rather than batch numbers. In this case these pellets were from die 14.
    Regards,Stu

3. cloverleaf

Hi Stu,

Thanks for that - I did wonder about that number. So that gets us a bit closer in that we know the Die no. and DOM; AA potentially leaving out the other information that JSB provide on their tins (QC inspector no. and batch). In the absence of batch numbers I suppose two tins of the same Die no. and DOM could be made from different lead alloys, although I suspect that's somewhat unlikely. Might include some AAs in the testing after all :p

4. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

I've worked for a while at a die casting company and to be fair the ingots of material were also batch marked after their production too. We used to have them delivered in multiples of tonnes so I'd say dependant on batch runs a few days either side of a date will be pretty constant either way.the highest die number for aa fields I have seen at the moment is 24, so there are at least 24 different types of aa field out there at the moment. My thinking may be that the older dies now give the larger sizes eg 4.52 due to wear and tear, and newer dies may produce the smaller sizes.Obviuosly my reference to material type is only generic as pellets are produced using a cold heading process from the material in a wire form.
    Regards, Stu

5. Speed

Speed Busy Member

there is a few threads on STB explaining what all the mumbers mean,

intershoot allows you to pick the batch number you need, subject to there stock, all other companys just tend to give you any time they have

6. cloverleaf

Thanks for the info! Your thoughts about the materials and production dates sound entirely plausible.. All I'm really after at the moment is a selection of pellets that will perform differently in my rifle; so that I can compare them to each other at different ranges over the chrono. As long as the pellets have enough info on them to distinguish them from others, I'm happy :)

Thanks - I've read a few threads over there, but opinions on what the numbers mean seem to vary somewhat. I've noticed the ability to select batch numbers on Intershoot's site (an excellent facility!). It's also interesting to note that, despite being lighter, the Express pellets cost more than the Exact - perhaps attesting to the popularity of the former..