1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Can Anyone Help? Knife Restoration Needed

Discussion in 'Knives & Tools' started by ibo7, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

Today I found my dad's old hunting knife, he died 8 years ago and all I have of his is his binoculars, a harmonica and this knife.
    It's probably not been used in 15 years or more and has signs of pitting (I think that's what it is) and the visible wear but still opens and closes just fine.
    My question is; can this be restored to its former glory or best kept as a memento? I would just love to have this with me when I go hunting, like he's with me in a way.
    I'm rubbish with tools so I wouldn't have a clue what to do, is there somewhere I can take this to be restored? IMG_20190609_104728.jpg IMG_20190609_104711.jpg IMG_20190609_104657.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    2506sendero and Tadpole like this.
  2. nrj

nrj Donator

I would join and ask the same question on Edgematters Discussion Forum,I'm sure someone will come along who can help.I had my grandfathers pocketknife refurbished by a Sheffield pocketknife maker and it's a treasured possession now.

Blue BSA and ibo7 like this.
  3. nrj

nrj Donator

Having seen your pictures now,I don't think you need get involved with a knife maker.
    To me it just needs a good clean,solvol autosol or similar mild abrasive polish on the blade,brasso on the bolsters,any decent furniture wax on the scales then a lube and sharpen.If the blade doesn't clean up completely,no problem,it's called patina.

Gary Jones and ibo7 like this.
  4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I agree with nrj, it should clean up nicely with minimal effort. The scales may well becovered in a layer of oily dirt but that should clean off easily enough. Just try with a touch of brasso and see how it goes.

ibo7 likes this.
  5. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

It well worth saving its just like my BUCK Folding Hunter. Its a good Knife if it is. Just clean it up with a dremmel oil it well and use it. Due to abuse on my part the blade developed sideways movement. I think i hit it with a hammer to cut something. (ashamed really) Anyway i padded it and put it in a vise and gave it a good squeeze. I wouldnt say its as good as new but the blade does not wobble about any more.

ibo7 likes this.
  6. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

I'm assuming the bolsters are the brass ends? And the scales are the wooden pieces?

7. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

It does look identical in every way, it doesn't have a BUCK stamp on the blade but maybe older ones didn't anyway.
    Thanks for identifying it!

8. shergar

shergar Busy Member

Don't overdo the abrasive and scratch blade or impregnate wood with grit. A plastic pan scourer and cooking oil will shift a lot of gunk.

Blue BSA and ibo7 like this.
  9. Chandelier man

Chandelier man Post Whore

Snap... I have a similar knife that I have had for over 20yrs .. 89B2EC3F-535A-4895-96E7-60DB5185512F.jpeg mines not a Buck

ibo7 and Tadpole like this.
  10. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

Seems like it was a popular knife back in the day then! This one could easily be 20-30 years old but I have no clue really. Buck or not it doesn't matter, it's just a name

11. Chandelier man

It is quite easy to clean up / the brass you can polish up with autosol or similar / I’ve got hard wood on my one that could be sanded with very fine sand paper or even wire wool ... I’ve got a professional polishing machine in my workshop so it would only take me 2 mins to do

ibo7 likes this.
  12. Chandelier man

They were everywhere back in the early 90’s ... less than a fiver if I remember but I got my one for free off of a friend ..... my one has been kept in the drawer and never gets used ... the blade steel is not very good so I wouldn’t waste anytime trying to put an edge on it ... my wood has a chunk taken out of it on one side so it’s not much good for anything now

ibo7 likes this.
  13. Sutty

Sutty Engaging Member

I'd start with a gentle scrub to the outside, followed by a bit of Danish oil or similar. For the blade I'd start with a pan scourer and a bit of oil, which looks like all it may need other than sharpening.

ibo7 likes this.
  14. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

It may be a Buck copy. I think it would be named if it was on the blade. Mine is. Cost a lot of money back then. I have had mine about 30 years.

ibo7 likes this.
  15. Chandelier man

Mine is stamped by that well know maker “stainless steel” lol

Sanguinius, Mr wolf, Tadpole and 2 others like this.
  16. nrj

nrj Donator

Its definately not a Buck 110,it is a copy,probably from the Far East,that doesn't matter,it's your fathers old knife ,makes it priceless to me.Avoid wire wool etc,just a gentle clean is all it needs,brasso all the metal parts to start with and see how it looks,try some pledge or similar on the wooden scales,don't destroy the patina,remember that the last hands that held it where your dads.

Gary Jones and ibo7 like this.
  17. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

:thumb:

Blue BSA likes this.
  18. Tricky13

Tricky13 Keyboard Hero

I would just go over all of it with 600 and then 1000 grit wet n dry and then use solvol or similar on the metal then a bit of the oil of your choice on the wood.

ibo7 likes this.
  19. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It's a very common 'design' and looks just like my Puma. Most will sharpen up nicely but may not hold their edge if abused but would only need touching up before use to do the job. Due to its history it's well worth tidying, just take it slowly and I'm sure you'll be well pleased with the results.

ibo7 likes this.
  20. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

Thanks everyone I'm going to give it a clean myself, never done it before but surely even I can do it!
    What should I use to lube the action?