1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Camera mounting suggestions????

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by neiled, Jan 3, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

OK I'm now ready to get up and running with my DIY NV set up and it all checks out when connected on the bench so the only thing I now need to sort out is a camera enclosure and a way of mounting it to my Hawke Nite Eye Digital IR 3-12x50 SF scope so how have you done it and what do you suggest?

The camera that I need to find an enclosure is detailed below.

http://snurl.com/28e5hp6

2. niatron

niatron Engaging Member

there are many different ways of mounting your camera

you can use plumbing pipes with tape and glue, use a pipe with 40mm silicone tube

or you can use a 12" weaver rail from the scope this is not as pretty but more practical and easier to setup

have a look at rolaids nv setups they are all good just to give you an idea as he uses bullet cams

hope this helps if not contact me i will help more in depth

3. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks Niatron.

I've looked at some of the plumbing pipe options but so far I've only been able to find either 40mm or 45mm internal dimensions when the scope is actually 43mm so they're either too small or too big. I'm starting to get frustrated with it all now!

4. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

5. niatron

niatron Engaging Member

you could order i have used this

you could order 40mm it is flexible or maybe better still order the 45mm and put on a clamp

this hose is still stiff enough to fit cam into the end so mounting is not so much of a problem

6. neiled

neiled Donator

7. neiled

neiled Donator

I've actually got a 100mm x 45mm length of this that I ordered from them but it's quite slack on the scope so will need a clamp or similar to hold it on but my bigger problem is housing the camera.

8. niatron

niatron Engaging Member

the diagonal of camera is about 52mm so have you tried pushing the camera in the tube it should be a tight fit but should go and once in the flexibility / elasticity of the tube would hold it firmly in place (without bracket of course)

9. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

I am afriad not just yet as its not ready yet, buty should be in 2 weeks. There are a few post on the NV forum, just search for "pulsar dsa".

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The digi nite eye has a bulge around the illuminated reticle section which makes it slightly more awkward but can be done fairly easily. If you have a look at the various waste pipes you will find 2 types, solvent fit and push fit which have different sizes and then there are the solvent couplings, adapters etc which have different sizes. The part I used on one of these scopes is marked up as 'FloPlast 43mm WS08' and, as far as I can remember, is a straight solvent fit coupling for joining 2 pipes together. I eased the inside slightly with a file or dremel so that it would fit over the IR housing. To fit the camera lens I used a reducing bush to take it down to the 32mm pipe and then my camera lens fitted inside the 32mm pipe with a single turn of insulating tape - you will probably need something slightly different. The scope has a 38mm thread so it's possible to use camera filter adapters to make the fitting at the scope end, some lenses also have threaded fittings and can be fitted using suitable adapters and macro tubes etc.
    A lot depends on the camera lens, the camera can be mounted by fixing the lens as it is very light and doesn't need a rigid fixing. I have tried using a piece of thin wall aluminium tube 1" in diameter which is fixed to the scope tube using a figure 8 clamp with another figure 8 clamp holding the camera lens. These fig 8 clamps have short sections of weaver rail on them which you can use for mounting the monitor or a torch and cables can be run inside the tube to keep it neat and tidy.

11. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

Here is my set up from left to right
    A universal 40mm to32 mm compression waste fitting with the 32 mm end cut off
    Next is a40mm solvent to 40 mm push fit coupling and the last piece is my camera 600 tvl digital ccdcamera model cc613hd the first part will fit most scopes as it tightens up with the nut holding very ridged it also all pulls a part if needed and as you will be using it at night no need to camo it :)

Attached Files:

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If you use the Ali tube method I find it better to fix a small bit of weaver rail to the tube, and use a weaver scope mount fitted upside down to the scope of each gun. Allowing the nv unit to be fitted to any of your guns in seconds.
    If you use a bullet camera a second weaver mount can be used on the back of the Ali tube instead of the bolt to hold the camera.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Andy

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I found a couple of pictures of the original mock-up I did for this with a long tube but it does show the general layout:
    DSCN0961.jpg DSCN0962.jpg

14. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If you changed the figure 8 mounts for weaver scope mounts and a bit of weaver rail fitted to the tube it would mean you could drop it on to the gun with no tools, just the nut on the weaver mount to tighten by hand.
    Cheers Andy

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

That would work quite well, the only difficulty is getting the rails aligned properly but can be done with a bit of care. Being able to remove it from the rifle easily would be a bonus for most people. I haven't made a fully working version of this and only put it together to see how a bullet camera could be fitted behind a scope without using tubes etc, the idea being that the camera would be firmly held in place directly in line with the scope. If the scope tube and camera body (or lens) aren't the same diameter you would need to find a method of fixing the smaller diameter item (usually the camera), I would normally make up a set of split bushes but most people won't have access to a lathe although they could be made from a section of plastic pipe or similar.
    I also made a bracket using a long length of picatinny rail but I found that to be quite heavy and good quality mounts were needed to keep the parts aligned. It's the method used by Roland for some of his builds but I didn't like it as much as other methods although some people use it successfully.
    There have been plenty of clever ideas for using the strangest parts for mounting cameras and it's worth thinking about the bits you have available or looking around at plumbing or electrical fittings and all the other bits in B&Q or similar stores, there's bound to be a method that suits every skill level.

16. Adman

Adman Engaging Member

With the dsa mount from pulsar, for my watec would I need a gen 1 or a gen 2? Both are the same price???

17. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Can't help with that I'm afraid. It will depend on which lens you are going to use as that will have to be made to fit the rear of the dsa.

18. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

I ordered the Gen2, fits the scope and watec well.

19. Adman

Adman Engaging Member

Brilliant thankyou

20. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Does anyone know where i can buy a box like the one nite site use to mount their camera in ( or even better like the aftermarket upgrade ones off ebay ) as i would like to mount my camera into one as they fit into the dsa really nicely ?. Atb gary.