1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Cambridgeshire...In need of field to shoot

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AAS2OO, Feb 27, 2012.

1. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Hi.

I just bought an AA S200 and now need somewhere to do some pest control. I have been shooting a short while and have been educated by my cousin 20 years my junior!

I'm just on the outskirts of Peterborough so really anywhere within 20-30mins would be good.

Thanks

2. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I would not shoot a field, they are notoriously difficult to skin and you can never find a pan big enough!

Come on man, use your loaf, get some insurance then get on the ruddy phone, google and use yell to find farmers, paddocks, golf courses etc. You should pick up some farmland going into the Warboys/Ramsey/40 foot area.

3. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Thanks secretagent...I was just curious to see if there are others on the forum nearby who might say, come with us etc, or I've got some land...but you're right need to get the ins, is it only through BASC?

4. shmx

shmx Active Member

witch side of peterborough are you ?

5. secretagentmole

I personally have BASA Insurance, but am looking for something slightly better this year (still not going down the BASC route though, we do not need to pay for grouse preservation, we are shooting rabbits and pigeons in the fens not wandering around North Yorks with beaters looking for what appears to be -and is often used for - an outside dunny in the middle of the world's biggest heather patch).

As long as you have some form of insurance owners of paddocks are happy in case you do come over all Mr Magoo and lump a pellet up the backside of Dobbin the three million quid wonder donkey in the third paddock! Permissions are usually closely guarded things, often promoting rabid fury if anybody else even looks at one (wait until you get one of your own). So the time is nigh to get out the email kit, do some phoning, perhaps even get some business cards done from Vistaprint for handing out to landowners. If you get invited round do not go in a suit, conversely do not go in a shell suit either. Think smart casual and you should be about right.

Rehearse what you are going to say to, do not ring up and then sit there trying to think of what to say, have a script ready, somethign liek, " Hello am I speaking to the farmer?" is always a good opener. the when you are follow up with "I was wondering if you had a vermin problem anywhere on your land, you know, rabbits, pigeons, collared doves," Impress on them the fact you know your species, can kill effectively and will not leave the area looking like a bomb has hit it. You should get a permission, might take a few days, but once you get one and have built a reputation, trust me, more comes your way.

Do not forget to look after your permission holder either, Christmas time ensure you get them a nice bottle of something, hell we even bought our turkey from one permission holder (turned out to be the best damned turkey we have ever had as well, so good we ordered two for this festive season before new year)! It makes life more pleasant for them if they get a little something from you, some may even appreciate the odd rabbit or pigeon or there (got one permission back after the house was sold and dropped off a pheasant there, well it was shot in his woods)!

Keep them happy and they will try to keep you happy!

6. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Thank you very much...

7. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Thorney...

8. larro1

larro1 Engaging Member

Why do people come on here and say i just got a gun and want to start on some pest control what is wrong with starting on paper or steel targets and build up knowledge of how the gun reacts to pellets ,wind, how it fits you, body position and so on and so forth and look at older threads on the same subject. When i came back to the sport it had changed so much so i had to do a lot of homework even before i bought a gun let alone go shooting live quarry let alone get a permission which i which i am still struggling with still even after months of trying so to get my shooting fix i joined a local club and shoot metal targets (HFT) and it is so addictive. Darran.

9. Aussiethunder

Aussiethunder Engaging Member

I second that!!!

Permissions are earned not given!!! It just makes you appreciate them when you get one..
    There's a Shooting range at Yaxley if you need your shooting fix till you find a permission. Here's the web address
    www.herewardftc.co.uk/

There are plenty of knowlegeable people there for advice and if your lucky someone might take you out for a hunt!!

10. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Lol...this is exactly the main reason I don't like forums. Offer something helpful and keep your opinion to yourself, I'm sure there is somewhere in the terms about keeping with the thread. And why cannot I not go out shooting live quarry and learn how it really works in the field? You don't know me or about my ability to shoot.

11. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

Yes I am aware of HFTC.

I have access to fields through family already - thank you -as said I was really looking for more experienced people to join with and/or another source to shoot.

12. Aussiethunder

Aussiethunder Engaging Member

I hope this is taken as constructive critisim..

You've answered the main question in your last post, we dont know anything about you ..
    Placing the post on the forum that you have is like placing a ad in the paper..
    In polite terms you need to sell yourself..
    You need to tell me why should I take a complete stranger with little shooting experience out onto someone eles property??..
    I have no problem taking a newbie out for a hunt to give them a taste and show them the ropes but I have get to know them first..

13. Brownj6709

Brownj6709 Engaging Member

That's my thoughts, I'm only a beginner but I wouldn't want someone I didn't know coming along for the first time and turning up having only shot a couple of targets in a mates garden etc, I've got a couple of permissions around the cambs/beds area but haven't even shot them yet as I don't feel confident enough in my ability, and I'm getting pellet on pellet every time at 30 yards, I haven't the experience with varying windage and Hold under/ over, one of my close mates is in the market for a pcp so were going to go up the range together and get our techniques down THEN go for the wabbits. Untill then my mates ferrets can keep working the fields for us.CheersJosh

14. AAS2OO

AAS2OO Well-Known Member

That's fair enough...some people are keen to share their knowledge/experience, others less so.

I think it's important to have an understanding, but I don't think you have to wait until you're good enough to join the Olympic team either. I learn through experience, and I'm not going to wait until I'm a perfect shot with windage etc...The more I shoot the better I'll get. I'm not offended if people are shy about taking people out, it is something I can do on my own, given a bit more time...Thanks

15. secretagentmole

Practise is important though and a few hours down the range with a good sidewind blowing will help you understand when it comes to getting in the field. We use Sinclair Shooting Grounds little air rifle range, that is near Spalding, a fiver for the day job. You can have hours of fun down there!

16. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Guys please stick to topic, this is a friendly forum where constructive advice is welcome. No one goes into a new hobby with the right ideas and direction, equally we should not presume to know a mans actions behind the trigger without getting to know them.
    Im sure every shooter here remembers that one poor shot, the unclean kill that made you think on the next shots. Sadly thats somtimes the way but positives can be taken from it.

Cheers,
    Ian