1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Calling All Left Handed Brocock Compatto Users.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Mike Watkins, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Mike Watkins

Mike Watkins Woodgate Mike.

Hi, I’ve been looking at buying a Compatto and have found out that Brocock don’t make a left handed version, ie the cocking lever being on the left? However, after reading some forum comments it seems that I might find it better to stay with the lever on right side rather than a left one. Not having used a semi bull pup before (I currently have a LH BSA Ultramax) I hadn’t thought about it being more comfortable leaving the trigger hand on the pistol grip and cocking the gun with the right hand. What say you semi bull pup users, especially Compatto owners, if you could, would you prefer a left lever or is it okay on the right. What about the cheek, is it comfortable? Also, what’s your opinion of Compatto? On a scale of 1 to 10? Cheers, Mike.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

B*llocks tbqfh. The cocking bolt is on the RHS as this is where it should be for right-handed shooters. It would be on the LHS if it was "better" located here for RH use. IMO the left-hander's "I prefer the bolt on the wrong facking side" argument is, most of the time just a cop-out for people trying to justify making do with guns that don't fit them properly.

The only exception I'd add is if you shoot off a bipod most of the time; since you can cycle the bolt with your weak hand as it's not required to support the front of the rifle. While I can't comment on the Compatto specifically I do own a number / have had plently of experience of non-LH rifles (either fully RH or RH actions in ambi or LH stocks) and (bipod situation not withstanding) having the cocking lever on the RHS is a bloody pain in the arse. Granted in a semi bullpup the centre of balance is further back but still, having to support that mass at the pistol grip is far from ideal and will tire you out quickly.

I'd highly recommend you spend your money on a rifle from a manufacturer who can actually be arsed to make a product that fits you properly. Wouldn't have a Brocock at the best of times anyway; especially if it didn't fit me properly ;)

Vasbyt, critter and gaj1612 like this.
  3. ibo7

ibo7 Keyboard Hero

It's personal preference as I'm left handed but actually prefer the bolt/cocking lever on the right side as that's what I'm now accustomed to.
    I have the Kral NP02 which is ambi stock but cocking lever is on the left side so it should, in theory, suit me better but I'm still getting used to it.

I can only suggest shouldering one in a shop and see how it feels.

4. Mike Watkins

Thanks for that cloverleaf, you’ve knocked some sense back into me! I know when using any borrowed RH’d rifle how uncomfortable they are to use so the Compatto surely won’t be any different. I’m also getting quite a few negative vibes about the Brocock so with those, and the fact they don’t make a LH version, I think I’ll give it a miss. Any recommendations??

cloverleaf likes this.
  5. Mike Watkins

Thanks for your thoughts. Both my PCP’s have LH bolts so for me I’d have adjust to a RH bolt, which I think I’ve all but decided not to go for. Cheers, Mike.

ibo7 likes this.
  6. ibo7

ibo7 Keyboard Hero

In that case I don't think the Brocock is for you. I just don't understand why companies cut out about 10% of customers by not making left handed versions of their rifles let alone charging us an extra £50-80 for a LH stock, if they even offer the option.

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

lol - good stuff :)

Tbh my recommendations are limited - what sort of gun are you after? Tbh I'm not fan of bullpups and my knowledge and experience in this area is limited. From the traditional manufacturers Air Arms, BSA and Daystate all offer properly LH rifles. Of these I'd take Air Arms every time; you already have a BSA (not that I'd recommend one although also have a LH Ultra myself) and wouldn't touch Daystate with a barge pole. Steyr do LH stuff which is nice, but also expensive and perhaps not to your taste. Not sure what FX offer; I think some but not all of their models are offered in LH. Probably best to take a look at the other thread on LH bullpups for a better idea ;)

8. carnivore

carnivore Big Poster

With all due respect to Cloverleaf many of us own reliable, accurate Compattos. True, many rifles have had to be returned to the makers for work which should not have been necessary but which have been returned as they should be and served us very well. In my opinion the Compatto was a new rifle from a maker with a tainted reputation and Brocock's ownership by Daystate did not help. CL's aversion to both brands is well known on this forum. If you were to consider a Compatto I would recommend buying a used, fettled one rather than new. As you know the rifle is a dedicated right-handed semi-bullpup (the first of it's kind) but your cheek won't touch the rifle anywhere near the bolt. It will be better for you than a right-handed bullpup where your cheek may rest uncomfortably againt the bolt or loading lever. When they are good they can be very good. I give my .177 version 9/10.

9. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Yes I agree, love mine.

10. emin-j

emin-j Engaging Member

Yep agree with the above, other than a leaking fill valve which was put right by Brocock in around a week the Compatto is spot on, I was taking rats with headshots at 30 yds with my night vision last Friday night.

11. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

I have a Compatto and it is spot on, but I would definitely not recommend buying one, if you did go for one only buy new as you can send it back and get a refund if it turns out crap. If you want to check out Brococks famous customer service give them a ring :D

Regards
    Peter

cloverleaf likes this.