1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Calibre and accuracy..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Apr 22, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I've often heard it said that ".177 is more accurate".

While I use this calibre almost exclusively in preference to anything bigger, I've always assumed that this statement is the result more of the smaller calibre's flatter, more forgiving trajectory than any difference in actual group sizes.

Recently however I've used a fair few .22 rifles - none of which seem to group as well as other guns in .177. I have little experience with .22 but thinking back, I've never shot any particularly good (rested) groups with the larger calibre.

So.. my question, to those who use both calibres is - do you find any significant difference in group sizes between the two calibres? I wouldn't have expected any, but recent experience is telling me that this perhaps isn't the case.

Ta - looking forward to hearing some thoughts ;)

2. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

An interesting question..... which I look forward to seeing the answers to! :)

The answers I'm sure will revolve around the fact that air is viscous, and will feel different to a Bumblebee than it does to a Vulture. Insects are described as "swimming" when they fly rather than what what we perceive.

The two calibres will react with the air they travel through in different ways, bring into the equation the reletive merits or not of the traditional diablo shape of a pellet, and the velocities they travel at,and you are probably in the right area for an answer?

Come on experts!.......... I'm holding my breath all bated and so on.... and I'm going a bit red already!

3. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

A .22 group is made of bigger holes, maybe that's it?

I probably measure groups wrong, when I say a 20mm group I mean inside a 20mm circle, I would do a lot better if I measured from the center point of each pellet hole...

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Using my .22 ultra along side the same in .177 using the same pellet, only thing noticed was the size of the group in relation to the pellet.

With the addition of a moderate side wind, .22 kept the tighter group.

5. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

I shoot with .177, .20 and .22 and in my experience they are all as accurate as each other, just different trajectory.

Accuracy issues are usually down to me and not the guns or calibres ;)

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Cheers guys - keep the opinions coming :)

Yup - for consistency / convention you should be measuring centre-centre - measure the OD of the group and subtract the pellet's calibre and there's your c-c figure ;)

7. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

The most accurate airgun I've owned/used was my .22 FX Typhoon. It had the smooth twist barrel and used to stack pellet on pellet at the range. It really was a phenomenon, and it shocked all who tried it! I sold it when I heard how rubbish smooth-twist barrels are. What a dumbass!:mad: (I've seen it back up for sale on here, but couldn't get an answer from the current owner)
    The second most accurate was my .22 Parker Hale Dragon Sporter. That probably had the twistiest barrel in the world, but could make single hole groups at 60 yards with ease.

Just for balance, I've also had .22 Stealths x 2, and a .22 Career 707 which couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo!

8. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

It all depends on what you assume as to which is best in theory in terms of dispersion. If we consider a fixed yawing rate the same for each calibre then .177 is ballistically better than the .22. But, if we assume a slightly offset CG, say 4 thou in each then the .22 is ballistically better than the .177. However, you could argue that the assumption of the same offset in each calibre is biased against the .177 as it is smaller and the offset is a larger proportion of its diameter. If we assume the same percentage offset for the CG, say 2% for each calibre then the .177 is better. However, the differences are insiginificant compared to the differences caused by the different fit between pellets and barrels so the dispersion (group size) will be more dependent on pellet/barrel fit than on calibre.
    As to which is most accurate as opposed to which gives the smallest group (they are not the same thing) then that will be dependent on a much larger number of factors in the complete pellet/gun/shooter system, but the flatter trajectory of the .177 would make it easier to be more accurate.

9. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Good God, I've just tightened my groups to 14.5mm, & I didn't even open a tin of pellets!

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Group sizes are normally measured centre to centre and therefore you can compare different calibres.

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I don't think the rabbit cares, so I don't worry!

12. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

A group is measured from the edge of the two furthest points if impact therefore giving you a group size,your mean point of impact is the center of the group size.

Gaz

13. FPoole

FPoole Posting Addict

I saw a field target with a .178 reducer in the KZ. Once in a while at close range a .177 would take it down, but a .22 never did. Therefore .177 must be more accurate.

14. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

There could be an argument that in a spring gun a .177 has the potential to be more accurate by virtue of the simple fact it will generally be 200 FPS quicker down the barrel than a .22 and therefore spends less time under the influence of the shooter as the point of trigger pull to muzzle exit would be less if we take away the variable of the difference in lock times. A super quick lock time, short barrelled .177 would in theory be very accurate.

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Ummmmm.....

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

3 most accurate (best groups) rifles that I've had and tested specifically. Are

.177 regged s200
    .177 aa s510
    .22 sfs tuned webley longbow

Other rifles I've used but not owned that were very good producing sub 1/2" 10+shot group at 50odd yards.

.177 Hw100
    .22 FAC s200

My thoughts:

.177 is less effected by wind - so groups should be the same or narrower horizontally.

If both a .177 rifle and a .22 have the same consistency. The .177 will produce a smaller group as the difference in velocity results in less pellet drop and therefore a smaller group vertically.

Also .177 pellets are lighter therefore they have less margin for error in weight consistency.

Just my thoughts, but overall, I just shoot the range the rifle will group to and enjoy, .22 has a lot of benefits in the field

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

That's how everyone gets amazing groups, I just think they are bs-ing Cus I can't do it, but I measure edge to edge :D

18. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Maybe depends whose shooting:)

19. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Or the fact that a .22 pellet won't fit very well through a hole .178" in diameter.

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Is that a joke? :?