1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice calerbrating my ultra

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sillygarry, Jul 8, 2014.

1. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

hi guys
    i tried to calibrate my ultra .22 the weekend zero'ed @ 30yds fine then when i tried to calerbrate the mildots at 5yds intervals the pellets were going all over the place in the end i gave up there was to many wayward pellets to be flyers i kept the air pressure topped up and the shots were sitting down and rested what can cause this help please

2. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

so they weren't grouping at all? maybe start with checking that everything is tight, clean the barrel...30 pellets and try again? Also, maybe they aren't the pellets for rifle and you need to do further testing with pellets

cheers
    Tim

3. milek

milek Honorary Member

Intervals closer or further than 30 yards?

4. 177

177 Donator

Proper mil dots are usually miles out in terms of 5 yard increments.

Have you considered parallax error or eye alignment issues ?

Often when folks start "walking" down through the mil dots their cheek weld and eye alignment can go out of whack.

Easy way to tell is to shoot using the centre cross hairs again and if your pellets group it's you. If they don't, it's more likely to be something to do with the rig.

Also consider that many mil dot rets have pretty big dots so precision aiming can be a little tricky.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I blame the shooter ive heard he can be silly ;)

6. sillygarry

35,40,45 and at 20yds

7. sillygarry

not guilty your honer:moon:

8. Ganton Gunner

im guessing if it is the longer ranges your having problems with its either you or the pellet so maybe hope for the latter and try a different pellet

9. clbarclay

clbarclay Engaging Member

How tight/consistent (not accurate) are the groups if you just aim with centre of the cross hair at the middle of the targets at different ranges?

10. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

1 , what pellets you using mate
    2 , check your probe o-ring
    3 , chrony gun check fps consistency
    4 , get a real gun something in .177 :p

11. Ganton Gunner

I would pay the most attention to tip no 4 :D

12. sillygarry

i think your right on number 4. went to west london rangers to shoot hft last weekend and noticed something was not right :mad:

13. metalman

metalman Big Poster

With matching handbag :D

14. 177

177 Donator

There's enough mincing fairies in the world without unnecessarily swelling their *ahem* ranks :rolleyes:

Just get what you've got sorted and learn how to get the best out of it :rolleyes:

If I changed my gun(s) every time a problem (real or imagined) cropped up I'd have wasted even more money than the fortunes I already have on my shooting over the years :rolleyes: ;)

Q: My car has a problem
    A: buy a different one, but with a bigger/smaller engine

Q: I have a problem with my partner - what do I do ?
    A: buy a different one, but with a bigger/smaller...

OK, so that wasn't a great example, but you get the overall drift :)

Get it fixed if it's pooched and then get it set up right. By all means flip it for something else if you decide it somehow isn't doing what you need it to but, until or unless you reach that point, all you have is a problem to overcome. No big deal.

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I'd start by checking for grouping at the various ranges using the centre of the reticle, not worrying about the shots being high or low, so that you can be sure that the rifle will shooy acceptable groups with your choice of pellet.
    With mildots you will have problems if you change the scope magnification so you need to decide if you want to set the zoom so that the dots correspond to particular ranges (use Chairgun to get an idea of this) or if you want to check which dot you need to use at various ranges. Either way it's probably easier to stick with one zoom setting at least until you get the hang of using the dots.

16. sillygarry

hi terry
    thats what i was doing shooting on cross airs and measuring the pellet drop at different measured ranges but the pellets would not group 1 or 2 would group then the next 2 would be 50mm higher, today i had the gun chrono weighed 9 pellet@16g lowest fps 559.44 highest 564.17 with a spread of 4.73 fps which seems fairly consistent at 11.3 flb so i am most confused:(

17. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Any silencer clipping going on??

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you're getting decent groups out as far as 30 yards and then you start to get fliers at longer ranges you probably need to try some different pellets. There's nothing wrong with your shot to shot consistency so maybe the pellets aren't stable beyond 30 yards - or it could be your shooting I suppose?

19. milek

milek Honorary Member

I used to use Daystate LI's which were exceptional at 30 yards but groups would open up considerably past 35 yards. Was your 20 yard ok?

20. tobys

tobys Engaging Member

Yep, longer ranges is where pellet/barrel mis suiting shows up. I used to use FTT in my S510 (not a BSA but just an example) and was great at 25yd zero but at longer ranges groups opened up, now AAF 4.52 much better.
    Another issue i found was gun angle for longer ranges, just cos of the piece of land i was on, as i moved back i was on a slight slope and when prone it made me less stable ( i was moving myself back - not the target board).