1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cadet Major stock refurb

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by Pete236, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Evening all.

My little Cadet Major refurb job is plodding along nicely. Replacement piston is on its way, as is a perma-blue kit. Rust has been dug out of the deep pits in the action, a light polish to shift stains and rust but not the patina has been done.

So onto the stock...
    Whatever the last bloke put on the stock is a right b****r to remove. Paint stripper didn't touch it, wet n dry just clogs, paint thinners seemed to help a little but not much...
    Anyway, it's off. I've steamed the dings, almost ready to go.

Now got to decide on the look of the thing...

What finish and colour should it have had from new?
    Oiled or varnished?
    Stained or natural?
    Gloss or matte?

2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

What was the original finish Pete? I would go for that...

3. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

It was a glossy varnish, full of runs and air bubbles. Definitely not original, I suspect it was done by the same oik who welded up the piston and gummed up the rear sight.

4. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

5. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Cheers Gareth.
    I've seen photos of light stocks and dark stocks and I'm just not sure what looks best.. all my other stocks are stained dark then rubbed to bring the grain out. But I'm tempted to leave this one lighter..

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure..

6. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

7. pjbingham

pjbingham Prime Kentish Beef

I’ve got roughly 4 Cadets and 4 or 5 C.Majors plus a few spare stocks and if I got them all out I bet no two match precisely. Colour wise I think I’d just go with whatever you personally prefer Pete,it’s not like they are rare so as long as it’s refinished to a nice standard I say go for it and just enjoy it

8. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Thanks John and Phil.
    In the end I've gone for Danish Oil, but will go for a soft shine not full gloss.
    And it's just basic plain old wood. No stain or colour. Its had a good rub down, but it's by no means perfect. Plenty of small knocks and marks still there. Can't wait till the morning when the blue has cured and the 1st two coats of oil have soaked in.
    Now to sort out the butchered trigger guard and wait for the piston to turn up...

9. foxtrott

foxtrott Very Active

Bleach the stock first to give a nice blank canvas walnut stain is quite light shooting at dawn (aka Neil)has a great video on YouTube doing his 80

10. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

What's wrong with the trigger guard then?

Sorry I'm nosey. :D

11. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Haha no worries Gareth.
    The front screw which goes through the stock and into the guard was missing. Someone has drilled out the threaded hole and made a right old mess of doing it. So I will weld up the hole and dress it all off. Re-drill and tap the hole (3/16"BSF) then clean it all up and re-blue.

12. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

You mean the hole I've pointed the red arrow at with the circle around it?

View attachment 172090

Just checked; I've got a Cadet/Cadet Major trigger guard which you can have FOC if you want it?
    Not perfect, little rusty and has been ground a little at the front but the threads in the hole are still intact AFAIK.
    It's the one in this picture below...
    View attachment 172095

13. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

Nice refurb I can see but the stock would be spray varnished if it was my gun with a dark varnish ,no way will you darken it as its beech and very hard to get stain in to the grain. Just interested to find out just what an original major will cost to purchase . Asking this just before I post it for sale section Then I can make up my mind what to ask for a good collectable in unmolested condition = BSA Cadet Major.