1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

buying abroad

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Westphalian, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

off to US on hols. there is a piece of NV kit that is 60% cheaper over there and scottcountry has sold out of it anyway.
    looking at the uk customs web page it would seem i would have to declare it and pay 2.5% duty...no probs there.
    anyone done this? any problems i am not seeing?

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The US authorities are a bit funny regarding nv kit and some of it needs an export licence so it's worth checking on that, if it's something sold mainly on the civilian market you should be all right. I'd suggest you recheck the HMRC information as there might be VAT chargeable as well, it might only be on the duty. There is a threshold value for not needing to pay any import taxes but I think this is quite low.
    If you can save as much as 60% then it sounds like a bargain, even more so if it has a worldwide warranty from the makers.

3. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

cheers. the customs web site says you MAY have to pay import VAT. not very helpful. i have emailed them to explain but no answer and rang them but was in a massive queue so eventually hung up. many years ago i remember ordering some "cheap" kit by mail order but was stung by some tax or other when it arrived in uk. can't remember the details but i remember being put off ordering stuff from US again.
    the kit i want to buy is the ATN X Sight HD day and night scope

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you have stuff sent by post/carrier etc you get caught for handling charges as well and VAT on top of everything, this can add up to a lot of money. Bringing it in yourself should get round most of the problems and it will probably be down to the customs person you end up talking to - you might get lucky and not have to pay anything. I see now that ebay handle these charges for you if you buy from countries outside the EU.
    Which version are you thinking about, I have the 3-12 which is plenty for anything on an air rifle or rimfire. It does have the option to zoom further with the electronics if you want a bit more and I have found that a doubler can be fitted as well although I've not yet had a chance to really test it.

5. RodN

RodN Donator

So you will be bringing it back with you in your luggage.

Declaring it at UK Customs is simple. There won't be any import problems.
    Bring your purchase receipt to show them.

It is normal for them to them charge you 20% VAT.
    Then you are on your way.
    (It isn't unheard of for them just to look at it, show a little interest, and send you on your way with no charge).

Rod

6. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

Cheers
    I only use x10 on my scopes so will get the 3-12 esp as it looks less bulky and will be lighter with the same functionality. US web sales do seem to have export restrictions on them so it looks like i will be buying in person when over there.
    how did you get yours? scottcountry?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Yes, I bought mine from Scott Country after seeing them at the Shooting Show, the new 3-12 version wasn't available until a bit later in the year. I did an initial (part 1) review on mine but haven't yet got round to doing part 2 but I hope to do that very soon. The 3-12 is the lighter one and now it is fitted with a focussing front lens it is very good and the firmware updates have sorted most if not all of the problems that people found originally, the main one being that the reticle stays centred oin the field of view all the time. I'm not sure how the night performance compares to a Photon but the daytime capability is fine. As the scope has AO focussing I fitted a coaster to it which makes it easier to use in the dark, the controls are fairly easy to use although if you're wearing thick gloves you might fumble a bit.
    The Americans have restrictions on 'Arms Sales' and even buying a bit of weaver rail from China can bring up 'restricted item' warnings. The X Sight only has a weaver rail fitting so you will probably need some dovetail to weaver adapters, try and get low profile ones if you can as they lift it up even higher. You will also need a USB power bank/emergency phone charger to run it to save on batteries.

8. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Aware of UK purchasers of Scopes from USA Mail and Holiday purchases - Warrenty is Via USA Seller - Return carriage is Expensive and often get done VAT Charges on return of Scope -

And took ages for Work and return

No UK Dealer would Touch it - Warrenty is covered by Distributer Not Manufacture - On overseas products

BOB/R

9. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

cheers clubfoot. i think that makes my mind up.

10. norman

norman Donator

:D....Clubshot...:D

11. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

lol, sorry mate, that's the autocorrector.

12. Samiad

Samiad Donator

What about posting it back to yourself as a birthday present? Or returned as personal items? Can't you avoid import tax that way? Once in the UK and at the royal mail centre you can kick up a fuss and not pay their handling fees (being polite is more likely to work)
    I might be completely wrong but may be worth looking into

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

My experience of picking up stuff like this from the sorting office is not good, they just quote 'the rules' and that's it - I was charged VAT and they wouldn't even provide a VAT invoice.

14. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

don't declare nothing , its a scope nv nothing else , it isn't illegal ... or post it to yourself there and write gift on it . I certainly wouldn't declare it or they will charge :confused:

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The issue is not whether or not the item is legal to possess - it is - but trying to evade customs duty is a serious offence so if you try and smuggle it through you could well end up in a whole lot of trouble such as confiscation and/or fines. They might want to check for other smuggled goods which could involve bending over a table while the customs officer puts on rubber gloves - not my idea of fun, others may enjoy it.
    If you were to buy a used one in USA and have the invoice showing it as used at a lower price and it showed some signs of use such as marks on the mounting screws, a used set of batteries in it etc you might have a better chance of not being charged anything.

16. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

That is downright daft advice. If customs decide to do a tug and you have come through "nothing to declare" they will certainly charge, they may also decide to confiscate and destroy in which case the OP has lost the purchase price as well.

17. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

confiscate ??? why would they it is not a banned item that's stupid to say that ..

I used to have a mate that went to the states every year he took a load of carboot fishing rods , say 10 soon as he got there he snapped them up in nearest bin and brought back 10 roach poles they never said a thing ....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

It may be legal but if you don't declare it and they tug you for a check and find it you can be charged duty as a minimum, they can also confiscate or fine you.
    Sensible? Declare it. Stupid? Your advice.

19. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

never ever done it mate , worst they can do is fine you .... that's the bottom of it .... try it on you worry far to much confiscate only if you don't pay the tax or they cant do it ,its illegal for them to confiscate its not a prohibited item , say you forgot or throw the box say you've took it with you ... easy with common sense approach :-}

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  20. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

you have to declare if it costs more than £390 (which it does). i look shifty when i have an empty case never mind something that should be declared. honesty is the best policy esp if you have a lot to lose