1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

buying a scope in the US

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sirok, Jan 3, 2008.

1. sirok

sirok Guest

I bought the Walther scope for the Gamo CFX and will ask a friend who will travel to the states in over a month to buy me a leupold scope....save me some funds I can buy something else with

question is, will my friend be able to buy and bring through the airport a Leupold LR/T 8.5-25x50 without problems(customs both in the US or Europe), I've googled this but havent got anything concrete.

I'm certain one of you guys has been across to pick up something considering how cheap it is and the strength of the pound...

any ideas....anyone??

2. Cove

Cove Engaging Member

Hi,
    I've bought a few Leupold and Bushnell scopes from the U.S by post-the best place was here:http://www.arcadian-sales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
    All the couriers that handled the scopes presented them to customs for duty evaluation so I would guess you'd be fine as it's not a prohibited item.However I'm guessing your mate may be charged duty if he declares it.He could always post it to you from within the U.S and mark it as a gift worth under $20 and it may slip under the radar.Even with duty charges it would still work out a damn sight cheaper than buying from within the U.K though ;).

Chris.

3. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Another way to sometimes beat the duty system is to bring something in as "secondhand". Unpack it, repack it in plain wrappers/boxes. Post yourself all the paperwork...receipts, instructions, guarantees etc, so you don't have them with you when you come back.

I've sent for and brought back many items and it works out about 50/50 as to whether you get it through or not without duty, but if you have to pay duty on things expect to pay in £'s what you were charged in $'s i.e. if you bought it for $50, expect it to cost you £50 in total and you'll not be far off.

4. sirok

sirok Guest

Thanks to both Cove and Buzz you for taking the time to reply to my question, I really appreciate it. I think you can spend hours trolling the internet to get a clear answer to your question but its always best to ask others who have done what you want to do.

I found a shop in Luxembourg that sells the model above with the illuminated TMR for EUR 1,679, I have to go to them in person tomorrow to see whether I have to order it especially...just to see if it is possible or whether they hold it in stock....in comparison with US prices its very expensive though.

in the US, I can get if for USD 1369 at cabelas and the website Cove gave me (thanks again for that puts it at USD 1,227).

3 questions though Cove about ordering from that website.

1. how long does it normally take for it to be delivered
    2. what sort of customs duties should I expect to pay, the current VAT rate in Luxembourg?
    3. its says the shipping is free, is that even for Europe?

so either I go with the website you suggested Cove or I ask my friend to buy it, put it in his luggage and keep my fingers crossed, although I suspect everything that goes into the luggage compartment is thoroughly screened so I'm certain to have custom duties....

although until I saw your posts I thought it was not possible to bring this type of scope out of the US as from what I read it is classified with an ECCN code of AO987 for optical scopes and so there were restrictions on items like the above model being bought and brought out of the States.

I have the time to think about it, won't be getting the S410 until two months from now.;)

5. Buzz

Buzz Banned

What ever you do, don't try to get your friend to "Smugggle" it out of the States OR into Luxembourg. With the anti-terrorist regulations as they are you'll have to be all above board with it or you risk at best loosing it by having it confiscated or at worst facing prosecution.
    It's a serious piece of kit and might well be treated as such if it's not declared.
    I hadn't realised we weren't talking about it coming into the UK, so as it's Luxembourg what I said before may be way off the maek as regards to the amount of duty and tax(because you do have to pay BOTH) to pay. The best thing to do is to contact your Customs Office and ask....but if it's anything like the UK they probably won't be able to tell you !!!!

Deliveries from the States vary a lot depending on how it's transported and I believe the free delivery will only be to mainland US, but worth an ask...an e-mail costs nothing.

I always work on the principal that if it sounds like a price that's too good to be true, then it probably is. LOL The Americans think they're hard done to, but they should try living in the EU !!!