1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Buying A New Weihrauch? A Word Of Caution!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Chris_Brads, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Chris_Brads

Chris_Brads Impressive Member

I went to pick up a new HW99s (.22) today and gave it a 'good coat of looking at' before handing the cash over.

The first thing that caught my eye was a chewed up fore-end screw. It looked as though it had been tightened with a driver that was too small. The trigger then drew my attention, there were three prominent scratches on one side of it. Finally, running my fingers over the action, my thumb dragged across a large burr on the middle scope arrester hole.

I pointed these to the salesman and told him I wasn't prepared to buy that particular gun. He ordered a new one from Hull and it should arrive next week.

The last gun I bought was a HW100 about 12 months ago. I did look at it in the shop, but I wasn't as thorough. When I got it home and looked over it in good light, the walnut stock was criss-crossed in hundreds of little scratches. I kept the gun but wasn't a happy chap.

It does make you wonder what the internals are like if the bits on show are of a poor fit and finish. My advice would be to thoroughly check and check again in good light before you walk out of the shop with your new gun. Weihrauch used to be the benchmark by which others were judged, not any more IMO! (but I still love 'em:()

Caveat Emptor

2. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Sadly that seems to be more frequent these days and not just Weihrauch :shrug:

Ray

3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

I tell you what, and if I’m right this is very naughty. A burr in the arrester hole and mangled screws - this doesn’t sound like a new gun.....

4. Chris_Brads

The thought did cross my mind and I did raise the issue but they insisted it was new. I've had dealings with them before and I believe they are a good bunch.

5. shauny

shauny Top Poster

as mentioned,sounds like they have tried to pass on a secondhand gun.

6. thumbhole

thumbhole Keyboard Hero

It may have been a new gun as in not owned by anyone the shop may have attached a scope to the rail as a display item. Was it brought out of the stock room in a new box in front of you. ?

7. Chris_Brads

It was brought out in a new box, but wasn't in the plastic wrap. After a phone call to the 'Boss' at the other store it transpired that this gun had already been refused by another customer - I was surprised that they admitted to this as it doesn't paint them in a good light!

Tadpole likes this.
  8. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I bought an HW100 a couple of years ago, in the dull light of the shop it looked good, in the bright light of day outside it looked like it had been hand (?) carved by James Howlett (aka Logan, aka Wolverine). I phoned up HC and asked if they could send a stock to the shop, no joy, took the gun back to the shop, they had to send it back to HC to get the stock replaced!

2 weeks it bleeding took. Sorry when spending top money for a gun I expect the finish to be good. It worked ok, unlike our last two 95s, but I am not going to recommend Weihrauch, they are getting to the level of BSA as far as quality goes.

Chris_Brads likes this.
  9. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Thats what I like to see on brand new ones ,the box must not be opened & the plastic wrap with red rubber band in place.

I've had a so called new one but I could tell the box had been opened, i didn't mind too much on this one as it was a good price.On closer inspection at home it was in as new condition but it was a "F" type non HC import which the dealer doesn't do.:confused:

Chris_Brads likes this.
  10. Chris_Brads

We put German engineered products on a pedestal in this country and I don't think they deserve it. For example, look at the reliability rankings of German cars: poor to mediocre at best!

stug200 likes this.
  11. mikeyhall1

So far I’ve been fortunate. All mine have come in as a special order from Weihrauch/BSA etc. When I bought my 95 they had one on display. After watching someone dry firing another stock gun I asked for a fresh one as I have no idea what the display 95 had gone through at that point.

Chris_Brads likes this.
  12. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

it does sound like a second hand gun in a new box i think he`s trying to pass on, the screws arent done by a person with a normal screwdriver, they are done up with a machine / electric driver, some burrs seem to be normal, hence why people get a rifle and deburr certain parts...my 97 was put together well but there were still a few small burrs in the action that i had sorted out, i hope you just asked for a different rifle instead of being fobbed off with a lemon...only place i could think of that would have messed with the screws are hull cartridge or the gunshop

13. Chris_Brads

New rifle coming next week, it will be given a 'once over' like you've never seen before!

landymick likes this.
  14. thumbhole

thumbhole Keyboard Hero

Our local RFD would have sent this back to the supplier for a replacement, it would not have been offered to a customer again as a new rifle bit naughty that. :down:

Chris_Brads and jps norton like this.
  15. mikeyhall1

Good luck mate, you’ll love it (I hope)

Chris_Brads likes this.
  16. thumbhole

thumbhole Keyboard Hero

Don't forget to ask for a discount, or free tin of pellets, as you have been messed about and an unnecessary return trip back for a gun you should have had first visit. :thumb:

17. Chris_Brads

It's always worth a try isn't it?

18. Regal Man

Regal Man Big Poster

Good on you for standing your ground.
    Hope the next one is in top class condition.
    If you need a magnifying glass, send me a pm ill put it in the post to you.
    There is no point, buying something that is covered in scratches. Or hasnt been finished properly.

Chris_Brads likes this.
  19. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Good point you have fetch up Chris:up:, I'm hoping to pick my new gun up next Thursday/Friday, I will now check it over with a fine tooth comb.

Chris_Brads likes this.
  20. Shortshot

Shortshot Engaging Member

You have to remember that all our Weihrauch guns are third hand when we get them, they are unboxed and tested and stamped by Hull Cartridge so I is possible the a lot of these faults are caused by them, I made my mind up a long time ago that I would buy my next (soon) Weihrauch from mainland europe.