1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

buying a BSA Ultra do i want a pump or bottle???

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by chrisj1704, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chrisj1704

chrisj1704 Member

iv just been reading some other threads about pumps and i didn’t realise pumps were so hard to use, i just thought u pushed it down a couple of times and it was done, nice and easy. but it seems that they are really hard so would it be better for me to get a bottle and how much am i looking to spend on a cheap one since money is tight. oww and remember im getting a bsa ultra so would a pump be any easier on that???
    thanks for the advise

2. atko

atko Active Member

hi mate, i have a bsa ultra multishot and i have a pump i bought it second hand from a dealer for £70!! it isnt very hard to use it!! i pump mine to 210 bar from about it takes me about 1 minute to pumpit up from 100 bar, id rather spend a extra minute than spend £200+ on a pump and you allso have to pay to get your bottle filled up and you have to travel to somware to get it done and get it serviced evey 3 years even if you dont use it and that isnt cheap. so i would recomend a PUMP. but other people may say different!!! up to you mate.

3. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

I only got my bottle (3 litre) last Thursday, & it set me back £175. I always thought they were cheaper, but I was advised not to get a pump because of them taking a lot of effort.

Pumps are slightly cheaper, but for an extra £50, maximum, you can get yourself a 3 litre bottle, & save your effort for hunting.You could get a larger bottle, but obviously it would be more expensive & would be less mobile.

You get about 20 fills with a 3 litre, but with 70 shots per-fill on my S410, that's a lot of shots before you have to fill your bottle up again, so don't worry about that. A diving shop, or maybe your local gun shop will fill your bottle up for a small charge.

Go for a 3 litre bottle, you should get one for around £160 (mine was from an expensive shop). This place has them for £129, but I'm not sure if they post, I've heard something about not shipping pressurised things? :confused:

http://www.deepblueshooting.co.uk/product.aspx?id=13657

4. atko

atko Active Member

you will only get about 30 full power shots out of the bsa ultra in .22

5. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I wouldn't entertain a pump, but then I'm 62, I use a tank. I guess it depends on how much use the gun will get, how prepared you are for some very hard work and whether you want to wait for 10/15 minutes after filling to recover enough to be steady again for shooting. There is also the problem of contamination. It's much more likely with a pump than a tank, dirt, water need taking special care of, so filters and and moisture traps are needed with pumps. Using diving quality, dry air from a tank makes this much easier. A 300 bar tank of no less than 7 ltrs would be my recommendation...just take great care when using it....very high pressures are involved which can be very dangerous if not handled properly, following the instructions to the letter.

Taking into account the last thread stating only 30 shots per fill, you're going to be limited if you want to go out hunting. A pump or tank needs to go with you, so you need something more portable than I recommended. If you're target shooting then you be OK with something bigger.

Atko, the hydraulic testing of tanks is now every 5 years and as long as the tank doesn't have a diving regulator fitted, that's the only test it needs.

6. slappy

slappy Engaging Member

i had the pump first ,hills one when i bought me s410 and sold it few weeks later got 6 litre bsa bottle lot better and right size also i find,5 quid to refill or so job done

i can t use pump cause of me lungs being shot with illness but i would pay bit more and get bottle lot quicker 8

7. slappy

slappy Engaging Member

30 shots is that it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how come so little with this gun then?

8. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I have to guess on this slappy, but by the look it's a small tank and a very short barrel.

9. slappy

slappy Engaging Member

still 30 not good to are s410's is it : - (

10. dom

dom Engaging Member

hi i have got an ultra i use a pump and find it quite easy to fill with a ,
    i get on average about 35 shots per fill,

11. simply james

simply james Banned

id go for a bottle every time mate.

12. chief tommy

chief tommy Active Member

go for a pump, because of the ultras low shot count it only takes about 2 min to charge it. its what i use for mine and it works a treat plus no annoying trips to get the bottle filled.

13. atko

atko Active Member

totaly agree tommy

14. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Very small cylinder and a very short barrel - a poor combination for shot count.
    I've seen lots of folk get a pump then two weeks later get a tank. You should equally find pumps secondhand that are virtually new because of this should you be convinced you want a workout.
    The other thing to consider is air quality. A dive shop compressor has good filters that remove the moisture from the air. A pump simply can't do this even with a drypac on. You'll therefore be putting damp air in and assisting rusting.
    One last point is, if pumping your gun is going on the floor which means some form of protection for it. If it's bouncing it down do you want your gunbag in the mud? You'll need to take a sheet of polythene or old towel etc.

15. MARTIN1

MARTIN1 Engaging Member

pump mate,i could pump my in around 2min,serious,hardly any effort.
    its buddy bottles you need bottles for.
    keep a eye on the used to as i recently sold a pump £50 as i went bottl for my buddy bottles.
    pumps cheaper to,know trips to shop and petrol and paying for a fill.
    atb

16. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

think i missed the train here but pump wise it wont be a big work out with the ultra.

17. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

My .177 will give 50 shots no problem charged to only 210bar.
    The .177 is capable of being charged to 232 bar and 35 shots, The .22 to 200 bar and 40 shots from BSA's literature. I do doubt there claims but are the claims based on a specific fps range ?
    Also depends on whether you're gonna shoot loads of pellets plinking or a few when hunting. For plinking get a bottle in my opinion but if your really using it for hunting a pump would do I reckon.

18. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Im with Darren on this, go bottle:up:

19. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I'd get a pump, when you think about it they're better for something like the Ultra which has a small cylinder. Pumping is not easy but less than hard and it'll be over in minutes, you don't want to keep going back to the shop for re-fills do you? Doesn't that kind of eliminate the point? You don't have a buddy bottle, you're not shooting a Gunpower so get a pump :up:

20. Biffo1262

Biffo1262 Active Member

I have severe spinal problems and can manage my Webley pump to charge my S400. I always charge when it gets down to about 140 bar and fill it in two short sessions. I'm 60 years old and as I say with spinal problems so if I can do it anyone can. It's the same as lifting heavy weights safely - technique. I suspect the advice to go for the bottle rather than the pump is more to do with convenience than being too hard work.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008