1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bushnell scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mikey, Sep 6, 2014.

1. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

I've decided to get a new scope with multi x reticle has I don't think that I really need the mtc mamba lite with the Xmas type ret for hunting with the .177 cal.ive been looking online at the bushnell legend 3-9x50 ultra hd and wondered if anyone uses this particular model and if so how good is the glass on them

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  2. 177

177 Donator

There are two models - one has side parallax adjustment and the other does not.

I have one that doesn't, and it's pretty incredible. So incredible that I am currently looking for one with side parallax adjustment to go onto my .223

They won awards a couple of years back when they first hit the market for their outstanding low light performance.

The ret is super-fine (mine is anyway) and clarity and sharpness is seriously impressive.

I'm a big fan, and I honestly think they are probably the best scope to look through that I know of by quite a margin for the price.

I use 3 of the smaller 1.75-5x32 Legend Ultra HD with Multi-X ret on my HW95, HW99 and Theoben Sirocco and, until very recently, I also owned two Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 mil dot models which were really nice. I only got rid because I don't like mil dot scopes - mil dots are far too far apart to be of use for air rifle shooting IMHO

My last .177 was dead on at 56 yards with 1 mil dot, and 71 yards with 2 mil dots, based on its 35 yard zero.

Like I say, totally bloody useless for air rifles...

56 yards was 24 clicks vertical adjustment to shoot bang on with a Multi-X ret scope.

I am currently on the verge of pulling one of my 1.75-5x32 Legend Ultra HD scopes off an air rifle and shoving it onto my .22 rimfire because, in poor light, it's as good as a 3-9x50 Nikon Prostaff, only smaller and lighter :)

Obviously magnification is sacrificed but the clarity is stunning, so...

Hat's off if you go that road - most folks would have you believe that you cannot possibly hunt or shoot accurately without multiple aim point but, of course, you can.

I case you hadn't guessed, I really like them :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  3. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

It's the side parallax version I've been looking at,they've got them in stock at uttings for £239.99,they were £278

4. 177

177 Donator

SGC had them marked down to £200 a few months back and I'm kicking myself for not buying a couple (ish) ;) when they were on offer...

5. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

6. 177

177 Donator

It could just be my eyes but I found the 3-9x40 unremarkable while the smaller and larger models in the range are outrageously good by comparison. It's possible that the 3-9x40 example I played with had issues though...

7. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Based on your other optics threads I would definitely trust your judgment. Interesting that you like them more than Prostaffs which I know you're also a fan of.

8. 177

177 Donator

They are as good as Prostaff scopes in failing light (to my fat and forty something eyes) but they lack multiple aim points, which makes the Prostaff a more viable overall package.

It all comes down to identifying the features that are most important to you and gearing up accordingly.

Some time ago up at Swarland Range a Prostaff EFR shooter had a go with one of the springers I had with me on the day. His colourful outburst on peering through the much smaller 1.75-5x32 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD was amusing, but it also demonstrates just how pin sharp and vibrant the image quality is. When a Prostaff EFR shooter thinks the little Legend Ultra HD is something else, that says a lot...

If we could get them with a BDC or a 4a or 4b ret they would wipe the floor with pretty much everything else out there, especially taking their price point into account.

As I say, mil dots are borderline useless IMHO for air rifles, especially in .177, but BDC, 4a/b, SR6, MAP6 and one or two others are very useful indeed by comparison.

I think you would have to spend a lot more the significantly better the Legend Ultra HD in Muti-X ret format.

Everyone has different eyesight though so, where possible, evaluate products yourself to make sure they meet your needs and suit your eyes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  9. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I agree about the reticle, I had the 3-9x50 prostaff bdc on my last rifle and the aim points (and even the short lines between the aim points) are definitely useful for .177. I've just bought one in 3-9x40 for the next rifle too.

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Use of milldots all depends on what mag you shoot at.

I have to say if any type of gun warrants their use I would say airguns are a pretty good candidate.

Windage alone warrants their use for me like only last week I would have been guessing some easy 25-30 yrd shots otherwise whilst shooting some woodies in blustery conditions.

However I do rate bushnels and have owned them for 20 some years and probably shot more through a 30/30 ret sportsman than any other scope, I also still own a wtc.

That said the spacings .177 mention are pretty spot on the second dot on my elite on 8 mag equates to a 70yrd shot so I know a dot below is usually 50 some yrds, inbetween is a real longy saved for dead still conditions.

But mostly my shots fall between the crosshair and first milldot, but thats why I like the simplicity of mildots over fancy rets, the lightstream ret is perfect.

That said if you have a 30/30 ret and the post go from thin to thick halfway down then that can be used as a reference in the field, still plenty usuable, I personally just like my view to be unobscewerwd by anything fancy.

The lengend range weres some really impressive glass, although I think the old legends are probably one of the best buys going on the secondhand market I paid £125 for a boxed minter and dont think any other scope would put me more in the bag, It gives in far later than my eyes in low light.

11. 177

177 Donator

For those who can make mil dots work, fair enough. They aren't nearly as applicable to air rifle trajectory compared to SR6, MAP6a and others I named above.

Hawke's half mil dot ret is too cluttered and busy IMHO

There was life before mil dots and other multiple aim point scope rets and you can still shoot very accurately with plain ret scopes, specially with a .177

Using mil dots for windage is still guesswork, the only difference is you are using an aim point, which is either going to be right, or not.

Windage is one of the things I hate about shooting - it's possibly the most difficult aspect of our sport to get to grips with.

Either way, my plain ret scopes can be quickly dialled in for dead on accuracy at a given range, or using hold-over/hold-under is simple enough once you understand how you need to aim off.

Obviously if you shoot certain disciplines multiple aim points can really help. A good Multi-X or equivalent ret will still put supper on the table all day long though.

When I used to use a 5-15x40 Bushnell Legend mil dot on one of my .22 air rifles the mil dots were 37, 43, 48 and 53 yards, which is infinitely better than the same scope on a .177, but pants compared to an SR6 which gives me 33, 37, 40, 44, 47, 51, 55 on the same .22

BDC rets offer a good range of usable aim points as well.

A surprising number of my rifles have pain ret scopes on board and I tend to do well enough with mine...

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Good thing about hunting you can have practice shots all day as conditions change, that's why I like milldots.

I did hunt with 30/30 rets for years and owned a Nikon EFR not long ago myself and liked the scope for a farmyard feral scope or 30 yrd stuff it was great, I just think Nikon should have used their bdc ret and I reckon it would be loads more popular.

I soon realised I wanted more mag and mildots as it suits what I do a lot better nowdays I got used to them, as I push the boundaries far more than I did in the years of a 4x40s.

Saying think its safer to say a lot more people on the HFT scene are using multiple aimpoint scopes these days and bracketing is used by many to rangefind on higher mag.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  13. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

Where have you purchased the 3-9x40 from

14. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I put a wanted ad on here and bought it off a member, but I almost bought it from Uttings as they agreed to price match another site for £145.

15. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

Is there a front ao version

16. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

No sadly not in 3-9, there's a 4-12x40 with ao though

17. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

Does the 4-12x40 have the bdc

18. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Sorry I must be wrong as can't seem to find the ao! The EFR has AO but not BDC, it has crosshairs with dot.

19. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

Have just been looking at uttings myself and tour right the 4-12x40 don't have ao,that's a shame has I would have had one

20. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

In fairness I never had an issue with mine and I've read how easy they are to re-parrallax by hand. They are excellent scopes in low light too.