1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bushnell Bore Sight

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Buzz, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Hi everybody, I wonder whether you can help me out of my confusion. I've just bought a Bushnell Bore Sight, mainly to help with the mounting practice of our shotguns, but I thought I'd try and see what it showed up with my air rifle and scope. The results have just really confused me.

Firstly let me say that I'm a mechanical engineer, so the technical side of making sure the unit is mounted correctly and not out of line isn't in question. I've rotated it on my grinding wheel balancer and the laser dot stays steadily in the same spot. I've also rotated it in the gun barrel and the results are the same.

Right, to the problem.

If I set the scope onto the red dot at a range of 20 yards, then remove the bore sight and shoot at the target, the pellet consistantly hits the target 4" ABOVE my aiming point and I can group at this point to within a ten pence piece. Surely setting up like this should only produce a point of impact BELOW the aiming point as the laser travels in a straight line whereas the pellet surely will drop. If I was shooting erratically I could possibly understand it, but I'm not. The gun is a crappy Edgar Brothers Model 60, but is in good condition and chronoed at 11.5ft/lbs, the scope is an AGS 3-9 x 50 VIPIR. Pellets are H&N FTT .22

Please can someone help....it's driving me mad.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I'd think the scope is faulty, are you able to zero the scope at 20 yards without using the bore sighter..?

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Laser bore sighter

Hi Buzz, Someone gave me one for xmas and although I'm very grateful,
    it's kind of useless for air rifles.
    It's unlikely that the POI will far away at airgun ranges.
    Ideal for zeroing a .243 at 200m, saves a few pennies.
    I suspect that there's something wrong with your scope, to have the problem you described.
    Cheers.

4. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Thanks guys, but yes the scope can be zeroed very well, and it's only a few weeks old. I only put the bore sight in the rifle out of curiosity, it's been shooting fine. I just can't understand why I get the discrepancy.

5. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I'm puzzled. :confuzed:

6. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi again Buzz, I'll get mine out this evening and play with it a bit.(the bore sighter:D),to see if i can get similar result.
    Cheers!

7. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Thanks guys...don't y'all go busting a gut...but I am very curious !!

8. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Buzz,If you can wait a couple of days I'm going to set up a combo from scratch, any discrepancy will show up better.
    Cheers

9. shipto

shipto Active Member

I would agree that the pellet should be hitting below. have you set the target to the same height as your rifle? or are you shooting down or up to the target? I would think this would make a difference.

10. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Potshot, there is no rush whatsoever, I've re-zeroed the scope the old fashioned way and it's shooting spot on at the moment...it's more a curiosity thing than anything else.

Shipto, yes the target is shoulder high so the line of flight is as near horizontal as makes no difference.

The only thing I can think is that I'm zeroing the scope taking into account the recoil kick and if I zero to the laser dot the kick takes it high.... that can't be it though....I'm too consistant with my grouping for it to be that surely.

The thick plottens !!!!!!

11. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, I'll have to do it anyway,its a new combo,even more so now you've got my cogs going:D.
    ATB.Al