1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bullpup Scope Height Setup

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Broadsword, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Hi, this is my first post so um Hi !!
    I’m down in deepest South Wales and am looking for some comparisons on scope height set up on my newly acquired P15 in .177 or on any bullpup with similar dimensions. I’ve added a riser block to my sports match high mounts with some very interesting results !!! Finding the correct eye relief is now excellent and am getting point and shoot results from 15m out to 40m with my Airmax 2-7x32. Does anyone else have a similar set up for comparison ?

2. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me!'

I think what people do by all accounts is fit an adjustable buttpad, to get correct eye relief. Dont own one myself but there are plenty on this forum that do. Anyways welcome to the forum mate.

3. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Cheers.

4. squib

squib Engaging Member

Regardless if what scope I use, on a p15 I need mounts big enough to accommodate a 50mm lens.

5. Sanguinius

Sanguinius Engaging Member

Marky-Boy likes this.
  6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy

Welcome to the forum mate

7. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

8. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Cheers.

Sanguinius likes this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore Keyboard Hero

Great name! Welcome to the group.
    I use high mounts on my P15 and I ignore the little cheek-piece, placing my face where it lands so as not to crick my neck. I have set my scope as far forward as is necessary to get the correct eye relief. Don't think about aesthetics, just about how well it does the job.

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  10. MartinJGUK

MartinJGUK Busy Member

Welcome! It may be worth fitting a bubble level to your scope or rail so you can avoid canting the gun left or right as this is more pronounced on Bullpups with a higher scope

keithy and PBaz Barrett like this.
  11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There’s quite a few people use very high mounts as it makes longer range estimating less critical. I believe it’s used by some FT shooters for this reason.
    Because of the straight line of bore and cheek piece on bull pups it is awkward to get a good head position unless you mount the scope fairly high.

Broadsword likes this.
  12. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

image.jpg
    Yes I have a bubble fitted, the scope height is 7cm Witch is a lot higher than I’ve ever had any scope before but what are the pitfalls other than cant ?

13. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Yes this was my reason for setting it so high, to make the gun more comfortable to use. I’ve come across the long range estimates advantage before, but should I change my zero distance or keep to my preferred distance ? Any advice from the forum would be appreciated. I’ve been playing with the stats on x-act but if anyone has some real work data it would be welcomed.

14. robs5230

robs5230 Pro Poster

thats quite a height.
    You'll find you are able to extend your primary (far) zero out further which will extend your PBR.
    For close shots before your secondary (near) zero you will have to use holdunder.
    If its .177 you can push out towards 40 yards for the primary zero with that scope height. If using a 1" kill zone, you will extend PBR out to around 45 yards (oddly not much more than using a much lower scope height).
    All doable on target shooting, ft/hft but close hunting shots need some thinking about.

So summing up, you'll be able to push out your point and squirt range a little further but your closer shots (10 yards and under will be compromised by holdunder).
    With that distance between the sight line and barrel you need to be particulalry careful to ensure you do not hold the rifle canted.

Broadsword likes this.
  15. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Great thanks Robs that’s a really helpful reply, I’m going to play about with my far zero to see what kind of point and shoot results I can achieve. At the moment 15m out to 38m is all within 1/2 a mil dot witch is ideal for stalking with this little bullpup. My current far zero is 25m.
    P.s what’s PBR ?

16. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Point Blank Range. Doh !

robs5230 likes this.
  17. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I would think that a zero distance of just 25m is closer than ideal unless, of course, you shoot mainly at this distance. For my .177 Wildcat (where the scope is a touch lower than yours) I have it zeroed at 40 yards - on other rifles with a lower scope I use 35 yards in .177 and 30 yards in .22. Chairgun suggests something slightly different but I prefer to stick to round numbers.
    Cant could be an issue but if your scope is set correctly then you should be able to tell quite easily if the reticle isn't vertical - checking that things are vertical is one of the easiest things to do as most people can quickly tell if something is leaning a bit.

18. keithy

keithy Busy Member

For a bullpup the scope must be exactly in line with your eye when shouldered. Forget cheek weld and closeness to the barrel, scope height is the priority. When setup correctly it will fit perfectly the eye relief should be perfect as well. I close my eyes shoulder the rifle then when i open them it should fit perfect, dont move your headbackwards and forward, if you have to the eye relief is wrong.

19. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Yes that’s exactly the reason I ended up with such a high mounting system. It fits like a glove.

20. jon winkle

jon winkle Newbie

i have an air arms galahad and changed my mounts to "high" which i think is 25mm from rail to the bottom of the circle = if you know what i mean. i went to my local shop and they were very helpful in setting up 2 or 3 different height mounts to find the one that suited me. You would think that some clever dick would come up with adjustable mounts - would make life so much easier