1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Fill Conversion Advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by oling, May 30, 2015.

1. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am looking to complete a bulk fill conversion as a direct replacement for a 88g cylinder (I would like a cheaper alternative to the 2x12g cylinder converter plus this tends to cool too quickly, resulting in a variable shot string).

Please let me know if I'm completely barking up the wrong tree with this but after reading around I figured that if I bought the following:

1) CO2 Fire Extinguisher e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/2kg-CO2-Fire-Extinguisher-Manufactured/dp/B009G1SXNU

2) Fill Station (not sure if this is the most economical one out there but figure that it should do the job - would it be easy enough to connect this up directly to the fire extinguisher?):

http://www.rap4uk.com/Dual-Valve-CO2-fill-station-p/v-co2dfs.htm

3) 5oz CO2 tank to act as replacement to the 88g (this would also act as a makeshift stock): http://www.rap4uk.com/5oz-CO2-Tank-Cylinder-Empty-p/3893.htm

4) 88g CO2 adapter to allow use of the above 5oz CO2 tank which has ASA fittings: http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=412

Would greatly appreciate any advice regarding the viability of the above setup, particularly with regards to the fire extinguisher as the source of CO2 and the connection of the fill station to the fire extinguisher.

Cheers

2. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

You must ask yourself is it really worthwhile? You could put that £140 towards what you could sell that rifle for and buy a S200 etc :confused:

3. oling

oling Well-Known Member

I was only really interested in whether the above modifications were feasible rather than whether they are 'worth it or not' as 'worth' is an entirely normative and subjective notion.

4. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Any advice regarding the fire extinguisher for bulk fill anyone?

5. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I looked into it last year as I have access to free co2 extinguishers but it seems a lot of hassle filling a bottle and it isn't a 5 minute job. this is why I said it was more 'feasible' to just buy pcp.
    If still interested try youtube ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cqiPnk4JQ

6. warrenater

warrenater Donator

i used to have a qb 78 i think it was and a sent to archer air guns for a bulk fill kit http://www.archerairguns.com/QB78-Bulk-Fill-Kit-p/aabfk.htm
    in addition to this i needed a paint ball bottle , i would fill the rifle from the paint ball bottle . to fill the paint ball bottle i used to use a 14 lb co2 cylinder mounted upside down on a board so as to negate the need to use a bottle with a dip tube , if you don't do this you will just fill the bottle with co2 gas and you need to fill with co2 liquid ! my 14 lb bottle was of the type used in pubs to dispense draught beer and worked without fault , so if you have a friendly publican this may be a cheaper option for you ? mind you the rife i used was not of the sort that used the 88 gram it used the cylinder and caplets but have a look on archer air guns they might have something for your rifle ? I hope this helps atvb Gary.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. gedfinn

gedfinn Busy Member

I made a few of these about 5-6 years ago,
    They are converted 88 Gram cylinders with a valve , Use as normal .
    I also made a number of frames to hold a Stirrup pump ? It used a 3/4 motor, ( Pumping made easy )

Place the cylinder in the freezer prior to filling ! It takes less than a minute to fill , ( This is from a fire extinguisher bottle )
    These are around £5 at carboots.
    Ged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a lot of interest !!!! In the " Stirrup Frame pump housing "
    I thought they would be a best seller at £150 with a secondhand motor. Just add your own pump, 8 minutes or to fill a 200cc bottle from empty to 200 Bar with no sweat ,

A Pic of the testbed Gauge , At 230 Bar from an Axor pump with ease
    Sorry cannot find the Pic

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

filling station .

If you remove the horn from the extinguisher, your fill station will fit in it's place ,
    see the pic,

But you would be better using a regulated high pressure air bottle , these are very consistant giving many shots without the cost of co2 , other pic ,

9. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the info guys. I agree regarding a HPA cylinder but the project gun I will be working on won't likely be able to work well on reg'd HPA because of the valve capacity and hammer spring tension (I'm looking at bulk filling a DA repeater) so co2 is probably the only option available to me.

I've got a little bit of mixed messages regarding the ease of attaching a fill station to a fire extinguisher - is it really as easy as using a wrench to take of f the horn and then you just fit the refill station straight on? (I'm not very technically/practically minded :eek:)

Finally, where do you guys get your fire extinguishers filled up when you run out of co2? Local fire station? Brewery?

10. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Really appreciate the pics mate - it has made things quite a bit clearer.

11. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Whoa why go that route? Why not simply get an 88g regulated air bottle instead? Go PCP and get the costs down?

12. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

CO2 fire extinguishers can be dangerous, let one off without a horn attached and I bet you can't hold it. Same goes if you let one off and touch the horn afterwards.
    Removing the horn is simple, just held on with a nut so attaching the fill station will be simple.
    Personally if you're determined to go this route then try and source used one. They have to be pressure tested every 10 years so find one near the end of its life for a bargain. If you were closer to me I could have give you a couple to get you going

13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I can get full size C02 fire extinguishers with full test and filled for £5 each - just bought half a dozen for the house now I've installed a log burner.

If you're near Birmingham Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

14. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Would totally agree but some of these repeaters such as Beretta CX4 Storm just won't handle HPA well. They will, but you'll see 50% the power if you're lucky. It's something to do with the size of the valve and hammer spring - with co2 being a far denser gas, for a given amount of valve dwell a quantity of a far denser gas is able to get through and propel the pellet. Reg'd HPA works a treat with bolt actions though.

15. oling

oling Well-Known Member

Will do - thanks very much for the advice everyone. Any idea where a good place to start is though regarding sourcing old/out of date fire extinguishers and for getting refills later on? I'm thinking of heading to a couple of local fire stations and then asking local pubs/breweries if they are able to recharge co2 cylinders. Any other institutions I should be aware of that may be able to provide some help?

16. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Were is this from? new or refurbs? and are they 2kg or 5kg?
    You do realise you are wasting your time with CO2 and a log burner?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Refurbed/Used

They have 4.83KG gross stamped on them, yes I know ineffective against the burner itself and would need water, just to stop any carpet fire if I get a jumping coal. ;)

Barber Brothers Birmingham

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  18. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

4.83KG means they are 2kg co2 and not a bad price. My worry was they will only blow away the coal to do a different spot and leave frost everywhere ;)

19. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I'd rather have a frost burnt carpet than a wet one :D - it's only been fitted a month, The Mrs would kill me as I'm the 'fireman', got a H20 on standby too in case, I don't think you can be over careful with these fires.

It did save the carpet on the first day, had a 'popper' that cleared the hearth and I used a partially used C02 to cool it down, fitted a metal fender now and it's a lot safer. :up:

20. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Sounds like fun :D I work with them daily so know the hazards.
    Has the burner not got a door? We tend buy rugs for the sole purpose of sitting in front of the open fire, never had one catch fire but had many a burnt finger :p