1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA's new Scorpion HFT Rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Apr 20, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

So, as is often the case, half the forum's going to war over their differing opinions of BSA..

Thanks to the latest video from the Fieldsports Channel (below, credit to oliver13 for finding it and originally posting it to this thread :up:) we now have news of a Scorpion-based rifle aimed specifically at the HFT market.

[video=youtube;jhm1HnJkDfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhm1HnJkDfQ[/video]

From what's said in the video (it's all interesting but skip to 11:45 for the rifle - my monkey brain and Google-fingers can't manage to post the vid so it starts at the appropriate time) the gun is a standard unregged single-shot Scorpion action, with a "muzzle brake" and the headline feature of an adjustable, laminated Minelli stock.

Most on here know my opinion of BSA guns and for those who find my thoughts unpalletable, I'll try and make this first post an exercise in objective stement of fact, rather than the usual vitriolic rant :D

So, the basic Scorpion single-shot rifle with synthetic stock retails for around £400, competing with other guns such as the Air Arms S200, S400 and Brocock Contour.

The HFT version of the BSA, with its "muzzle brake" and adjustable stock is mooted to cost between £1100 and £1200 - three times the price of the base rifle and placing its cost in excess of the Daystate Huntsman Regal, Weihrauch HW100 and Air Arms S510 Ultimate sporter, putting it in direct competition with the Daystate Mk4 and Impact Airguns GSX range, and only a few hundred quid below the range-topping, all-out target guns that are the Air Arms FTP900 and RAW TM1000.

Based on the spec and price of the rifle in the video above, is anyone on the forum considering the purchase of one of these new guns, in preference to any of the available alternatives?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I watched the whole video with interest but, out of everything shown, the thing that I really noticed was the ancient machinery they are still using. Don't get me wrong I like capstan lathes but in a modern factory producing largish quantities of parts I would have expected cnc machines.
    If the price of that HFT model is right I can't see them shifting many.

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's a lot of money for a stock.

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Rather have a second hand EV2 and enough money for a decent scope.

5. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Single shot scorpion for over a grand, I'll take a lightning too please!!!!!

6. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

I have seen, handled and shot the new hft version of the Scorpion.
    Whilst the stock is indeed very well made, very well engineered and a thing of beauty I wouldn't be able to justify the price tag no matter how much I'd like to own one ..... Shame.
    If Air Arms can make their new Ultimate S510 kind of affordable surely BSA could do the same?

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Just seen the pics of it on Solware,stock looks horrible,no chance of me wanting one.

8. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

What a joke! I doubt you will see many on the hft scene at all,there's so much better out there,its a sales gimic that's all,its not good at all,id expect to see a whole new rifle, and its tooling costs to manufacture one may just then warrant the price tag.
    Bad move bsa..........bad move

Gaz

9. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Slap a £300 gun into a mineli stock and charge £1100-£1200.
    They already make the actions then the stocks to order so even if they dont sell many still profit for them?

10. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    over priced and under specced tat. buy a standard one, sell the tactical stock, fit a stock from Geordie or markyboy, fit an adjustable airstripper from UK Neil, then send off to xtx for an x tune and regulating, and then sit back and plan on what you can spend the £300-400 that you've got left on (possibly a great scope, bkl mounts and a shitload of pellets).
    for what it's worth, I think the scorpion is a great rifle as standard, but at that price just for a nice stock ?

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

From Solware;

Right had some more info it's not going to be a scorpion it's a complete new gun. The gun will be regulated match barrel different blocks muzzle etc It will be like a EV2 type target rifle not a modded up Scorpion with fancy stock. Will retail at £1100 ish but it's a complete new offering to compete at highest level in target world. This prototype just a teaser but apparently the new target gun will be a lot more advanced hence the price tag. I would say the official version will be launched at one of the major game fairs.

12. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Quiet snigger.....:nicethread:

13. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, dont they say scorpions have a sting in the tail :rolleyes:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Waay too much even if it's tuned and regged blah blah blah....

15. LANKY MK

LANKY MK Engaging Member

Well somebody better tell the BSA managing director that because that's not all how he describes it in the video, infact "scorpion with a fancy stock" is how the MD describes it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  16. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

He also said self regulating which means to me it doesnt have a regulator.

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Read the last 2 sentences :D

18. LANKY MK

LANKY MK Engaging Member

The MD was clear in the video, the hft model is (to paraphrase) a standered Scorpion in a fancy stock costing £1100 to £1200.

If the "actually" scorpion HFT model isn't as such then the MD really should not say what he did in a interview, instead either he should keep hush hush about the details of the "retail" version or actually state the difference between this HFT version of the scorpion action compared to the standard action.

That way there's no confusion & nobody can be justified in saying "its just a scorpion in a fancy stock for stupid money", of course there will always be those people but it doesn't help when the MD essentially says that in an interview. (minus the stupid money part :))

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  19. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The plot thickens.. On the one hand we have an MD who thinks asking £1200 for an otherwise standard £300 action in a tarty stock is "sensible":

On the other hand we apparently have information from Solware (any chance of a link please Matty? :)) that states that it will be a completely different rifle:

There's always the possibility of course that we're talking about two distinctly different rifles.

The first potential offering looks like a grossly-overpriced attempt to capitalise on the popularity of HFT; if the gun is as it's claimed to be in the vid I suspect a few mugs will buy it before it ultimately sinks without trace in a sea of enthusiast's disdain and bile; much as their last attempt at screwing the customers even harder (the Cambridge) rightfully did..

The second format (as apparently described by Solware) has the potential to raise the ante significantly IMO. On the one hand BSA could pull off a massive coup if they could create and supply a genuinely competitive FT rifle that was a match for those currently available. The resultant "halo effect" generated by a positive reception to a new flagship model would potentially aid sales of their lower-end PCPs.

Conversely, if BSA fail to get it right (when supplying a rifle into perhaps the most critical and demanding segment of the air rifle market, of which they currently have zero market share and zero fanbase within, to compete with high quality, established kit from much larger manuafacturers) the resultant negative publicity will only taint the brand further, as happened with the R10 Mk1 (and to some extent the Mk2).

We all love the underdog and I genuinely wish them all the best; but if they are looking to enter the FT market they're going to have to pull something pretty damned special out of the bag - this is one market where spin and marketing alone will definitely not cut the mustard.

20. LANKY MK

LANKY MK Engaging Member

Good post sir,

I too wish BSA all the best, I grew up with BSA air rifles, buy they really don't help themselves sometimes.