1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question BSA Ultra new or secondhand

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by anthony78, Dec 8, 2008.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Member

First of all I'd like to say a big hello,
    I am looking to take up air rifle shooting again after a 10 year break. I used to live out in the sticks and used to shoot rifles and shotguns but my favourite was Lamping with my lurcher. Unfortunately I have had to leave all that behind and now live in the heart of Worcester City. My brother is still living the dream so I want to get myself an air rifle so we can go out together.
    Now to my question, I have been looking to buy the BSA Ultra Multishot .22, it sounds like the perfect gun for my needs and I just love it's looks. I called my local gun shop this morning and they have a second hand Multishot but it's a .177. I've never used a .177 in the field so don't know how effective it is at stopping rabbits etc. What are the differences between the two caliburs as far as hunting goes?
    The second hand .177 comes comlete with scope and upgraded silencer for £399, or do I buy a new .22 for £350 and shop around for scopes and silencer later. What would you do if it were your money??
    Ant

2. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

At £399 it depends largely on the quality of the scope. If it's a cheapie it's overpriced. If it's a £100 scope and a Weihrauch silencer it's priced right but is it the scope you want? How about asking them to split the combo if it's not wanted? The std Ultra silencer isn't overly good and most folk fit a Weihrauch unit. Although longer it's vastly better. As to caliber the .22 will do about 40 shots on a 200 bar fill whilst the .177 will do 30 on a 220 bar fill or so. If you're using a bottle to fill and it goes below the 220 ish mark you're part filling a gun with a very small shot count if full in .177. Either calibre will despatch rabbits perfectly. It's generally easier to hit the correct spot with a .177 as the trajectory is more forgiving of rangefinding errors than the loopier .22.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  3. Comp

Comp Engaging Member

Lots of good info in the above,...:up: {regardless of what A1Gunner subsequently posts!!! :D:D:D }
    Cheers, Welcome, and good shooting, Fred

4. anthony78

anthony78 Member

Hi Darren,
    Thanks for your post, I didn't notice the make of the scope but the guy did tell me that the rrp would be around the £100 mark. They were 3-9x45 and they had something like I-dot or something to that effect on them. Apparently they were used for target shooting and were micro adjustable. It does have the Weihrauch silencer and looks very good too. If only it was a .22 I would have bought it on the spot but I'm not sure how much of a compromise it would be to go for the 177. 30 shots on a full charge is not very good for the .177 though is it.

5. Darren Petts

I wouldn't like to lug 30 rabbits home at once but some hunters will have some situations when 30 shots isn't enough. I rarely fired more than 10 in a session though I know of some ratters who'll shift a full tin of pellets in a sitting.

6. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Welcome to the forum, Anthony78:up:. All good advice from Darren and Fred, but I'd have misgivings about any second-hand pcp that didn't have some sort of warranty from the retailer. As regards calibre, it's the old argument of trajectory vs. downrange energy. I took a rabbit yesterday with a .177 springer at 35 yds, and truth to tell, it's an easier shot than it would be with a .22.
    You pays your money and you takes your choice:up:

7. anthony78

anthony78 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Davy.
    Some great advice thank you all. I have decided to give the second hand rifle a miss and go for a new .22 and get those few extra shots out of the Ultra.
    While I'm on a roll and getting some great advice can you reccommend silencer, scope and pellets to go with my new toy. Remaining budget will be £100 for scope and silencer after purchasing the rifle.

Thanks again
    Ant

8. Darren Petts

You'll want the Weihrauch silencer as it's the best in the business. That'll swallow half your budget though. Look to JSR own brand scopes or a 3-9x42 Nikko Stirling Airking again from JSR.

9. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Once again, spot-on advice:up:

10. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

UK Neil does some excellent silencers/moderators and can be found on the Airgun ***. I prefer his over the Weihrauch for my TX.

Tazz

11. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Looks like most of your questions have been answered,so I would just like to say hello and welcome to the forum :up:

12. anthony78

anthony78 Member

Thanks for the welcome Steve, again thank you for the great advice Daren, I have been looking at various bits I will be needing, you know the bits you normally forget about like mounts, gun bag and, one that has shocked the hell out of me, Pump.
    Will the mounts come with the scope? If not do I go for low, medium or High and what effect do they have?
    Does anybody have a pump they would like to sell ;-)

Thanks again.
    Ant

13. Darren Petts

Mounts don't usually come with the scope. The Nikko I mentioned is an exception and has a one piece mount that will do for a flat rail gun such as the Ultra multi. Low medium or high will depend on the size of the objective end of the scope. Typically 32mm is the max for low, 40mm for medium and above that require high. Of course the objective may have an adjustable objective lens for focusing which will make it thicker and the objective may also overhang the end of the breech over the barrel giving more clearance. If you tell the store you buy the scope from what gun it's going on they should be able to specify the mount height required.

As to a pump, you'd be surprised how often someone expects to use their car foot pump or garage forecourt compressor!:D

14. anthony78

anthony78 Member

Thanks for that, I thought it might have had someting to do with angle of view and such but if it's just down to making sure the scope fits on the gun without fouling anything then I don't need to worry about it.
    I have a bicycle pump, will that do;)
    I'm currently looking at the Logun FX pump. Anybody had any experience with this?
    Thanks again
    Ant