1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Ultra Mmc .22 Shot Count

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by willo1962, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:46 PM.

1. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

Seeing as I have some time on my hands I did a shot count on my Ultra with a fill of 180 bar down to 70 bar. I got 55 usable shots and stopped shooting at 59 shots.
    I only use my Ultra for paper punching so I am not too worried that it is shooting just over 9 FPE but would like it just over 10. I may be brave and try a service on it. I recently fitted a Huma pressure gauge and quick fill and have stripped my SMK 78 many times
    shots hi-lo deviation
    1-10 542.5 - 536.9 5.7
    11-20 542.7 - 531.3 11.4
    21-30 535.6 - 531.3 8.4
    31-40 526.0 - 511.8 14.2
    41-50 512.4 - 488.0 24.4
    51-56 504.6 - 467.9 36.7
    This equates to hi 542.7 @ 9.38 FPE lo 467.9 @ 6.9 FPE
    This is my target shot at 18m. First few shots to zero

IMG_20200325_164407.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    talent, Dave A Smith, Tim_B and 2 others like this.
  2. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Show the rifle please. :)

willo1962 likes this.
  3. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

IMG_20200325_213708.jpg IMG_20200325_213752.jpg

talent, Dave A Smith and Tim_B like this.
  4. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Thanks. Hoping it was single shot. Just got one without gauge and showing age a little but works well.
    Wondered what MMC means

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Micro Movement Cocking:)

Deejayuu likes this.
  6. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Thanks but no wiser :)

7. Howlin Wolf

Howlin Wolf Busy Member

Give me a shout if you need to mate.
    A lot easier than when we did the seals on your 78! :facepalm:

willo1962 likes this.
  8. bhodge

bhodge Posting Addict

MMC is a device fitted to the earlier Ultra rifles. It's a plunger located at the front of the stock & below the air cylinder. The rifle can be cocked by depressing the plunger, it can be done with a short movement of one finger, hence the micro movement definition.

9. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

that would be great when we get back to normal. Had the 78 apart many times now.:thumb:

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  10. louisvanhovell

louisvanhovell Busy Member

Nice post thank you. With time on my hands I am doing shot strings of my airguns.
    My Ultra. 22 mmc was the first one to take the test.
    60 good shots at 11.5-10.3 ft/lbs on a 220 mm cylinder at about 220 bar using 15.89 gr JSB.
    I bought the action from John Bowkett. He put it together using parts he found in the bin of the BSA factory lol.
    I believe the secret of the efficiency is his valve setup.
    The hammer spring, valve return spring, tp, barrel length are balanced.
    As a result it's also quiet.
    Anyway. In order to up the power, you can increase hammer spring tension. You will lose efficiency and shot count.
    One footpound extra costs a lot of air. On some Ultra's it is easy but I believe writing about upping the power is a no-no on here :D.
    If I were you, I would just enjoy this great setup, sounds perfect. The times I've tried to "improve" things only to end up with headaches and the wish I had never started and just been happy with the way it was :facepalm:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 5:43 AM
  11. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

It means a lie...

A lie.

willo1962, Kalibrgun and Deejayuu like this.
  12. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

It does seem a bit of a faff. Cocking my SMK 78 is so much easier and easy to de cock. I do love how compact and accurate the ultra is. If I had really tried I could have put every shot inside one of those 1/4 inch bulls so probably just a service soon as the mate I bought it from had it from new and it has never been touched

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  13. Howlin Wolf

Howlin Wolf Busy Member

If yours is anything like mine, there'll be no problem doing that.
    Happy to video or phone call mate if you want to have a crack at it!
    It's straightforward mate.

willo1962 likes this.
  14. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

The Ultra MMC is an example of a good idea led into an alert and the crap kicked out of it by a committee. I know it is a Bowkett design, but it is still crap.

The cocking mechanism is not a micro movement and I know what happened to all the bloody suspension springs for Rover 25s when Longbridge went under. BSA knicked them and used them on the Ultra MMC cocking mechanism. It really is a spitefully hateful gun. I know I owned a brand new one for two weeks.

It was accurate but I hated it, if you can't tell...

willo1962 likes this.
  15. Makis

Makis Member

My 12year old MMC .22 Ultra has a Tench reg., i get 75 good shots before it starts to drop off from 200 bar fill. The MMC takes a bit of getting used to but after a while the fingers on the cocking hand will look like Arnie's thighs and it becomes a doddle to cock it.
    Regards, Makis

16. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

I was thinking of getting a reg but I have already bought a Huma pressure gauge that had been reduced to 40 euro, a new 6.8l bottle (£100) as my carbon bottle was over 15 yrs old and a new bl4de silencer. I did pick the rifle up for next to nothing but you have to ask yourself can you justify the price of a reg for a few extra shots when I get about 50 shots from 180 bar with only about 1mm POI change across the fill.
    Going to give it a service soon and may just turn up the power to 10 FPE. Even with the gauge fitted and a reg if I got one I would be lucky to get £200.
    I only have the Ultra as a friend in work gave it to me for some lifts to work

17. Makis

Makis Member

Hi willo, if you're not bothered about it then you would be better off to sell it as is, don't spend all that money for no return, but i would like to add with the power up near the legal limit and a reg. fitted you will get more accurate shots per fill and velocity of 5 fps variation or less making it much more consistent. No need for a bottle, get a pump and DIY ! I'm 75, have a heart and breathing problem, take it steady and you can do it. A home tune will make it better as well. I wish you luck!
    My regards, Makis

willo1962 likes this.
  18. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

Well I stripped it down but its not the same as the one in the XTX guide. Mine did not have an anti tamper device and the end cap did not have an adjuster so looks like I will stick at 9.5 fpe for the moment :D

19. Makis

Makis Member

How can i contact you? i can let you know how to do it.
    Regards, Makis

20. willo1962

willo1962 Busy Member

you could write a little guide or do an audio guide. I am surprised there is no youtube guide for my model. I think it must be a very early model.