1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Ultra .22 Few Queries..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ShakeandBake, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ShakeandBake

ShakeandBake Member

Hey guys,
    Pretty new to this forum so sorry if all this has been asked before i've tried searching but couldnt really find anything, i've recently bought a Bsa Ultra .22 and love it i have it zero'd in at around 35 yds and can hit a 2 pence peice everytime i was just wondering would this be an effective range for hunting rabbits and wood pigeons.

Also does anyone recommend pellets to run through them? i know every barrel is different but i was just looking on different peoples views??

cheers guys

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. sharpsman

sharpsman Big Poster

I think by saying "anything that moves" will open a can of worms,so if i was you i would learn what is legal and what is not before i went any further.

3. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Bisley Mags for pellets and for the effective range,whatever you're comfortable with,in reason, I would aim for about 45 yard max in .22 because after that,you will have a hard time judging distance and drop off.

4. ShakeandBake

ShakeandBake Member

Hi mate thanks for your reply, Let me sincerely appologise for my first post and to your pleasure i have changed the post to suit you better, i merely put that comment thinking that people would generally acknowledge that i meant animals,birds,vermin that are "legal"

However obviously not in your case, so please except my sincer appologies jamie

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I would also try and reduce the grouping size from a 2p to a 5p, the 1 inch kill zone is a bit too large in my opinion.

6. ShakeandBake

ShakeandBake Member

Yeah i was thinking that buddy still practising with the ultra though ill try my best :-D

7. sharpsman

sharpsman Big Poster

If i had not have said it someone else would have lol,as said try bisley magnums but i thing you will find in .22 in a sub 12ftlb gun they have a trajectory of a wall brick-give JSB exacts a try or H&N FTT's being lighter they fill give a flatter trajectory.

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

In our .177 Ultra,we found Crosman,Weihrauch and Bisley pellets all work great but are a bit on the heavy side.

9. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

2p at 35y is doing pretty well mate, but its amazing what happens when you find thee pellet for your barrel:)

10. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    i would agree with this mate - if you can confidentally group to within 5p sizes, this gives you a bit more room for error when taking the shot. if you can group to 2p sizes now, you will half this with practice.
    as for distance, theres no set rule. personally, i would define what the maximum distance that you can group a set of shots to within a 5p piece, and use that - mine is 35 yards rested, and 30 yards prone.
    as for pellets, had a friend over to chrono his .22 ultra, and tried it with rws superdomes, and they proved to be better than the air arms diablo that he was recommended to use - a lot more consistant and accurate. also fill to 180 bar, and you will probably get 50 ish good shots

11. sharpsman

sharpsman Big Poster

I think they are great in .177 if they suit your barrel but in .22 are far to heavy unless getting launched at about 30ftlb.

12. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

On one of my shoots, the owners son has an Ultra, i sometimes have a shoot with it and found it likes JSB Exacts, he was using RWS Superfields with it which are a similar pellet to the Exacts.

I would swerve the Bis Mags in .22, in sub 12ft/lb power they're too heavy at 21 grn, unless your doing close up work, ratting etc ;)

13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Crosman Pemier Ultra Magnums and cardboard box Crosman Premiers (not the Premiers in a tin) work very well in BSA barrels (well they have in all of mine so far). At 14.3 the Ultra Magnum is not really a magnum and flies pretty fast. Groups very well and is a great pellet for hunting.

Defiant Ogives are also recommended (in fact in my .177 BSA they work even better than Crosmans).

14. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

Regarding hunting accuracy....... to judge your abilities at various ranges, can I suggest you do what I find very helpful?
    I bought a load of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-216-43...74864?var=560198535323&_trksid=p2054897.l4276 They will clearly display a hit, and also where the hit is. I put them at various ranges up and down, from close in to far out. Then I put a fresh magazine in and choose them randomly and shoot at each. If I can cleanly hit inside the perimeter of the sticker at all ranges then I feel confident my aim is good enough for hunting.

Regarding pellets, get lots of different types! And try them! There are tester packs sold on ebay, and if you meet other shooters, ask what they use and if different from you ask politely if you might have 30 or so to try.

Best of luck.

15. Kamo

Kamo Member

I can can vouch for the above :D Been a bit too windy to get the full picture but the superdomes were super consistent over the chrono and at the range. 180/175 bar fill and I can get groups of touching marks out to 40 yards rested and at least 35 good shots, once it goes below about 100 bar the poi drops and is still ok for a couple of shots so once you know the sweet spot it's easy. I would say the ultra is easy to live with super accurate and tbh all the rifle I need for hunting and hft.

16. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

The last Ultra in .22 I shot loved Falcon Accuracy pellets, got some very tight groups at 35yds.