1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA Superstar restoration

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Truckcab79, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Thought I'd start an occasional thread charting the restoration of my 'new' superstar. Not really needing a restoration to be honest, as it's in far better condition than I expected. However, I can't resist tinkering. Always need a project or three to keep me busy.

Condition as received.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/173884-BSA-Superstar-Arrives-tomorrow!

Probably won't touch the finish on the action as it's pretty good, but will fit a tuning kit at some point, and get that power down!

So far I've got the stock stripped. Combination of multiple applications of nitromors, scraping with a Stanley blade, toothbrush, and sanding. Have got it about halfway there. Currently on 600 grit W/Dry, and will finish on 1200 / 1500. Then stain in dark walnut (or dark oak, but I'm worried about it being too black), might be a blend of the two. Final finish will be danish oil. Did my Supersport this way, but I'm spending far longer doing this one to a better level.

image.jpg

I also like like a bit of subtle bling, so I ordered up some aluminium bar 12.5mm x 3mm. Hand bent a copy of the original trigger guard, drilled holes as per original, and polished it by hand to mirror finish. Silencer will get the same treatment (and possibly scope mounts but don't want it overdone). Very satisfying. Shown here with the original for comparison.

That's it for now. Will post more when the stock is stained.
    image.jpg

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Will be watching this closely - I love a restoration job.

3. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Me to jr i look forward to it,the furthest i got with my superstar was to get the spring and guide out the got to the maxi rail but didnt dare compress the rubber under the rail with a g clamp to knock it backwards incase i deformed the shape of the action.
    Must be brave lol

Gaz

4. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

Truck can i say when you remove the action from the stock put a piece of electrical tape around trigger to hold the pins in that hold the sears and springs.I did not and it all fell to bits, took ages to find out how it all went back in.I have blued trigger guards by putting the part to be blued over the gas cooker till very hot then pop them in to a tin of oil . If you do this be safe and watch what your doing . Try some sample bit of steel till you get it right.

5. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

And look out for the screws some of them are not allen screws ,they are the ones that look like a star as you look at them mine had one in the trigger.

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Good tip on the insulation tape. Should have learnt my lesson by doing exactly that and dropping the pin out when I did my Supersport!

7. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Torx bits. Fortunately I have a set already. It was the only thing that would unscrew the plate under the foresight.

8. airgunguy

airgunguy Junior Member

Depending on what you're going for.... Look at hydro dipping for the stock. It can give good effects. I havent tried it myself tho

9. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

I've seen some great hydro stuff on YouTube. Very clever. Mostly seems to be used for camo jobs, and they're just not my taste. Maybe on a difference rifle id be tempted to do something hi-tech like carbon effect, but I think this one needs to be a bit more traditional, so it's definitely going to be stain and Danish oil this time.

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Slight update. Stock is now fully sanded. Used progressively finer wet and dry down to 1200 grit. Hadn't even thought about sanding it wet, but found a good guide online that suggested this, from a guy that actually sands his whilst in the shower. Each to their own!

Each grade was sanded wet first, to raise the grain, then the same grade used dry, before moving on to wet sanding with the next finest grade, and so on.

Pictures don't really show it well, but stock now feels like glass. Unbelievably smooth. Quite a bit of variation in timber colour with some particularly dark patches, but I'm loathe to go too far in sanding this out and I'm hoping that with a dark stain as planned, it will lend some interesting variations to an otherwise fairly bland bit of timber.

Next to to mix up some stain samples. I think walnut, but with a dash of something else to darken and richen it further. I suspect stain may lift fibres again, so if it does will stain, then knock back with 0000 wire wool.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Stock now stained, and in fact has already had its first coat of danish oil. Shown here before any oil applied. Really pleased with the colour.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Looking good mate! Some nice grain in there, i will be doing my supperstar stock soon and im looking at using some wood dye but can you use danish oil over dye?

really like that grain,get somemore Danish on there and keep rubbing lol:up:

Cheers mate

Gaz

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  13. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

You're meant to use water based as the regular (naphtha based?) stuff isn't good with oil. I used the regular stuff as I did the same on my supersport and whilst you can definitely see the oil picking up some of the stain, it doesn't seem to be enough to affect the colour. IIRC with the supersport it stopped once the first coat had dried out. Wouldn't swear to that though. Ill report back after a few more coats.

14. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

hi mate so your saying a water based dye would be better then? because you can then use the Danish oil?

cheers mate gaz

15. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Only repeating what I've read. However the same comments also said that non water based stains would be affected by oil - which they are so no reason to doubt the info. As said, I've used non-water and whilst it picks up the stain, it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect. I presume enough sinks into the grain that it's only affecting the stuff on the surface.

16. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Had posted in a separate post that I couldn't get the silencer off. Absolutely solid. Suspected it had been glued or at least loctited on. Well, the other day I got the heat on it with a blow torch used gently to warm it up. As it heated up I could see what I assumed was warmed loctite bubbling around the joint. Swift tap with a block of wood and off it came.

Incredibly it only locates on less than half an inch of the barrel. Can't see any sign of loctite now it's off, and pushing it back on is near impossible. Reckon it may even have been heated to expand it, and then fitted that way, giving a really tight fit once pushed into place. That's certainly how it will be going back on.

Here it is before
    image.jpg
    And after I had a go at it stripping and polishing. Can't resist a bit of bling. Very easy and satisfying.
    image.jpg

17. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Gel stain works well and you can oil it.
    Just brush it on then wipe off with a cloth

Attached Files:

18. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Second coat of oil last night and coming up nicely. Once first coat is on it does seem to stop lifting the stain, and I would guess that most of the stain if dissolved in the oil would in turn soak back into the stock ???

Will keep on going for another few days following the 'once a day for a week, once a week for a month' doctrine, but will see what it looks like after 4 or 5, as I don't want it too glossy.

19. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

5 coats in and it's looking good. Can confirm that the stain only leaches into the oil for the first coat. After that, no more evidence of it. First coat seems to seal it, and no apparent colour loss either way.

20. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Seems to have suddenly all happened really quickly, but as I said in the first post, the action is really not needing a restoration as its in pretty good nick. Some minor rust spots to the end of the underlever which I've re-blued locally with a birchwood casey kit, but it wasn't worth having it all redone. Maybe sometime in the future.

To recap, the work completed was the following, more of a stock strip, and tart-up really, but great fun doing it:

Beech stock stripped of old glossy varnish which apart from being horrid, was also scratched.
    Sanded (and sanded, and sanded, and sanded), down to 1200 grit.
    Stained in Indian Rosewood
    Danish oiled with 7 coats over 7 days. Was lucky, some really nice grain detail.
    New, slightly thicker trigger guard formed from 3mm aluminium bar, and polished.
    Original (and quite rare apparently), silencer, stripped and polished.
    Polished scope mounts. Not specifically designed for the maxi-rail, but I had them already, so I'll see how it shoots.
    Tasco Varmint 4-24 x 42 scope (already had it)

Might get get round to the tuning kit in time, but I'll see how it shoots first. Need to strip it back down either way as it was running slightly hot. Probably needs a coil off, or will see if someone's added washers in the past.

Thats it it I think. Hardly the most in depth resto, but enjoyed it, and really pleased with the finished product.

Thanks for looking. :D
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg