1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Silver Star

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Wofty, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Wofty

Wofty Heinz Meanz Springz

BSA-Silver-star.jpg

Newly released this year and a few lads have mentioned already so threadworthy methinks.

Price:- £699 retail

What do we have here then? First glance it looks like a S200T clone. But it's addressed a lot of issues.
    Fully adjustable butt. It's certainly on the right tracks to fit the gun to you and get that dioptre up to your eye. Ahead of the S200 already. Personally I hate the plastic cheekpiece. it's very contempory trendy. Just stop it you cheapskates. Otherwise fully workable if not beautiful.
    Cylinder with gauge and quickfill and removable. Nice.
    Fully floated barrel. That remains to be seen. The S200 is peerless and can easily be floated.
    Match trigger. Obviously needs testing. s200 trigger gets some complaints but it can be tweaked to be very good.
    T-bar cocking handle. Interesting. The S200 can be cocked with your pinky so it needs to be very good.
    Sights. Same. Crap.
    Interestingly BSA already do their Scorpion cadet which is expressly designed for army cadet 3P shooting. A more direct competitor to the S200 in terms of dimensions.

My gut feeling is the S200 is potentially (with work) a better gun. However this looks useable straight out of the box with the advantage of an adjustable stock. A MUST for offhand target shooting. It's quality of life features like quickfill and gauge are very welcome too.

Personally as I have two 10m target rifles I would not be in the market for this. If I was I would consider it pending accuracy and trigger testing.
    I would budget for better sights. At this price you can't really complain as proper match sights are not cheap (ebay is your friend here).
    Given offhand target shooting and bell target shooting is seeing a little renaissance here I think this is worthy of a looksee pending said reviews.

Nice one BSA. I think it looks a winnaaar! (just needs that cheekpiece burning)

* Corrected retail price

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

Yeah I think it looks nice

Blue BSA likes this.
  3. Wofty

Wofty Heinz Meanz Springz

body4.png

This is why a fully adjustable stock is so important. Note she is not scrunched up trying to peer down the sight. Upright head.
    I would think the rear sight on the Silver Star would benefit from a riser. A bit more depth in the forend would have been nice if I was being picky. I can't rest on my hip like the young lady illustrated so have an adjustable handrest. I've got pretty long arms too!

Blue BSA likes this.
  4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

While I almost like the minimalist "exploded drawing" look to the stock, sadly it looks to be another overpriced turd based on the cheapo Buccanner platform.

I'd be very wary of the "match trigger" - if it's the same as on the rest of these guns it'll be shocking and BSA have never fitted what any sane person would describe as a match trigger to any of their airguns.

Looks like BSA's effort to muscle in on the apparent popularity of Target Sprint, however I'd expect AA's TS400 offering to be better in every respect, as usual.

I can think of many, many better ways to spend six hundred pounds on a 10m rifle tbh.

ibo7, foxtrott and Blue BSA like this.
  5. rkr

rkr Post Whore

That was my thought also with a quick glance but that may not be the case. The breech unit is different so it could be that they have made a gun that uses the old good BSA trigger unit and not the infamous Gamo thing. Let's wait for more information or exploded diagram before we judge.

6. robs5230

robs5230 If it's a springer, it will be oversprung

Interesting but little real info on it yet.
    Can't see anywhere where its stated as a 10m / 6ftlb rifle though looks like its intended to be.
    An R10 type trigger blade doesn't mean it has a match trigger unit.
    I like the straight pull bolt.

I'd like to know whether its a BSA or Gamo based action. STock smacks heavily of Gamo

Odd that its not on the BSA website

Blue BSA likes this.
  7. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Post Whore

Is it £599 RRP then? I have seen £575 (McAvoy's) and £699 elsewhere which is I am sure BSA's RRP (or I could be wrong).

£699 puts not far the AA MPR (I find them a bit light and narrow, not chunky enough) and beyond that Zbroia Biatholon (something I had never seen before this morning thanks to a certain forum and now want). But £575 seems OK if it is a nice and fit. They look like something from the early 70s.......

I am looking for a 'something' to shoot down the hall. That 'something' is constantly changing having gone from S200 to 70s 10m target springer and most things in between.

8. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Post Whore

Well on YouTube Giles (Airgun Gear Show) featured it in his Great British Shooting Show coverage. He said that BSA will offer a 12ft/lb and a 6/ft/lb version. He said the air cylinder is removable and sort of alluded to being able to have one gun and swap. And then said it isn't interchangeable at home. About 7:30 in.....

9. timmytree

timmytree Big Poster

It's obviously put together using as much of the existing platforms as possible, that's fine because no manufacturer is going to start with a radical new design are they?
    Trigger unknown but even if it's the crappy Gamo one it can easily be put right with a 2p screw. Barrel will almost certainly be BSA which have been variable in the past.
    Everything on it seems to tick the boxes. The sights may not be best quality but I expect they're perfectly usable, if an owner wants to upgrade it's easy enough. After all, how many people buy a new rifle and then spend money altering, updating and tuning? I don't want one but I would like to see some reviews and comparisons with other rifles of the same ilk. Unbiased ones.

bob4026 and Blue BSA like this.
  10. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Post Whore

There should be a version coming out without the diopters. I have wondered for a while if there is a market for air gun makers to sell barrelled actions as happens in the firearms world. Would they sell any more?

11. robs5230

Just watched that.
    Not possible to set cylinder to different powers, but user can swap between a 6 and a 12ftlb cylinder is how I hear it.

Blue BSA likes this.
  12. thumbhole

thumbhole Post Whore

It is going to be 10m or full power by the change of a cylinder.

Blue BSA likes this.
  13. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Post Whore

Thanks. :)

I want 6ft/lb without sights, but I can't see me getting that off the shelf. The pricing and options will become clearer over the next few weeks.

14. robs5230

getting a little more interested now.
    Just seen on the TAL website, there's an ambi beech sporter option in black.
    Now a threaded barrel and a regging option, even a Huma, would make it more interesting.

15. Bezzer

Bezzer Busy Member

Dunno how they're going to do that, as you say a cylinder is just a plain air reservoir if it isn't regged, unless there is some kind of different size plenum built into the 6 and 12 versions. :shrug:

Blue BSA likes this.
  16. bob4026

bob4026 Post Whore

How about adding another £600 ish for AA’s offering?

Is it THAT much better?

Just asking, like.

Bob

17. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Gonads! The T200 from CZ (which was available through Air Arms) had a fully adjustable stock!

[​IMG]
    See?

Blue BSA likes this.
  18. thumbhole

thumbhole Post Whore

19. thumbhole

thumbhole Post Whore

Was told by the BSA rep not based on any existing platform as I thought it was coyote based he said NO its a complete new gun his words. Can only believe him at this time as not took one apart. :thumb:

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I highly doubt it, but then I wrote the last post before finding out what a ridiculous price the TS400 is. A far more reasonably priced MPR sporter at around £800 would be a much better value proposition than both the BSA and the TS400 IMO.