1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA R10 Mk2 JB Tuned - Expected Accuracy

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by spooks1982, Jan 17, 2014.

1. spooks1982

spooks1982 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

It's been around two weeks since I had my R10 blueprinted and I'm wondering what level of accuracy I should expect (using the right pellets)? Generally the gun is pretty accurate, 35 yard shots mostly hit within a 50 pence coin. Quite often they will shoot within a 20 pence piece and sometimes through the same hole. What usually happens is I'll put maybe 2 or three almost through the same hole, then I'll get two or three spread around within that 50 pence piece. My old AA S410 could shoot 10 through a 1 pence piece without trying.

I put the gun through a chrono and it's shooting within a maximum range of 7fps which seems pretty good. I don't think it's an issue with my shooting since the gun is rested on a sandbag. Any thoughts? I've never cleaned the barrel but I've been told not to bother since air guns generally don't need barrel's cleaning. I can't help but feel a little disappointed with this gun, or maybe I'm expecting to much.

What are your experiences with the accuracy and consistency of this gun?

2. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    bench rested, you should be getting a cloverleaf cluster of pellets at 35 yards (easily all within a 5p size). can you try a string of pellets that are single loaded, to eliminate magazine loading pellet damage ?
    firstly i would clean the barrel (especially if its never been cleaned, or if you have tried different pellets), fire 30 shots or so to lead the barrel in, then do the accuracy tests. also if its .177, try weihrauch magnums or crosman premier ultramagnum if mr jb hasnt recommended any other pellet

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

When you are shooting these groups, are you loading froma shot loader/tray or using the magazine?

If using the magazine, take a note of WHICH SHOTS FROM THE 10 are the stray ones. Shoot a full magazine and note which shot number each is. Do the same for five magazines and see if the stray shots are the same ones each time - I had the same thing with my Huntsman, it was some lead swarf in the magazine in the 5,6 and 7 chambers - the magazine just needed a clean and was perfect again. Just a thought.

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Sounds like you haven't found the right pellet! With my ultra I can group within a 5p at 35y. An r10, ultra, or scorpion are easily capable of that straight out of the box.

Try loads of pellets!!

5. spooks1982

Thanks for the quick replies guys, yes I am shooting from a magazine. Really helpful advice and will try cleaning the mags out and also shoot a single shot at a time. @Accuspell - I will definitely try and take a mental note of where the stray shots come from (seem to remember it being random though). John did some testing while he had my gun and said the JSB Heavies worked best. I've attached a picture of his groupings (outside with gusts of wind), they were taken at 50 yards.

[​IMG]

To me those groupings (other than the jsb heavies) don't seem that great. I have been unable to consistently replicate that jsb groupings indoors at 35 yards. Just seems sketchy. I have experienced magazine jams as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

30 - 35 yards last week at the range my blueprinted r10 was putting pellets through the same hole consistently.

I hit the bell target at 40 yards (6mm hole and using .22) ten times in a row.

JSB Exact Diablo and Falcon Accuracy Plus are my gun's favourite food of choice but BSA barrels are notoriously fussy and each gun will differ.

7. spooks1982

Thanks Steve, well - I'm definitely not seeing those types of groupings. That is ridiculous compared to mine. Surely something more fundamental than a dirty barrel must be wrong with my gun?

8. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I would give John a call with your concerns and ask him to have a look at the gun again! (assuming logistically this is easy for you)

9. spooks1982

I've taken your advice Steve. John is going to have a look at it for me, he mentioned a couple of modifications that *may* improve it. The last resort would be to swap the barrel for a different one. I'll update once I've got feedback from JB. Cheers. :)

10. metalman

metalman Big Poster

When you send the gun to JB, include the mag aswell, if not already done so. The groups you mention are pretty poor to say the least, the "flyers" would suggest you still have to find the correct pellet

11. spooks1982

Well, my gun has been dropped off with JB. I have opted for him to replace the barrel with a Lothar Walther one. I am told the .177 variety of the BSA barrel can be pretty sketchy and particularly pellet fussy. Apparently BSA's best work is seen in the .22 barrel. He is also goinyg to make another couple of modifications, including a guide on the bolt to feed the pellet in better. The barrel I'm getting is a 12" one so the same length as the original mk1 r10. I am getting him to modify and fit the Huub full length shroud that I have on order from XTX. Looking forward to getting it back and hoping it shoots a lot better.

12. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I just had the latest prototype bolt mod done to my r10 by John.... You gonna love it! :nana:

13. spooks1982

Yeah, hoping so. How ridiculous is it that we have to go to these lengths to get a gun performing properly. By the time I'm finished I could have bought a daystate wolverine.:|

14. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

If you bought it new,i can understand your disapointment,i have always advised people to buy the cheapest R10 they can find,even a Mk1,and then get it sorted,hopefuly thats what you have done.I have had a secondhand R10 that John Blueprinted,very accurate it was,currently have an XTX R10 Mk2,also very pleased with it also.It can be scarey when you tote up the money we spend tuning and customising our guns,never to see that money back,if we ever sell it on,all we do is make it more desireable to a potential buyer.I chop and change like the weather,i have went full circle,and am determined to keep my present R10 for a long time.I am sure your R10 will be back shooting tight groups in know time ;)

15. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

my 177 is super accurate with AA 4.52 fields. IVe tried others but wont buy anything else now. its easier as all my guns love the AArms so aesy choice to just buy one pellet.

My groups are well sub 5p size at 35 yards to 45 yards past that it doesnt make much difference i can drop teargets well out to 80 yards.

So mines def not sketchy. apart from my old AA s300 which literally was pellet on pellet at 30 yards its the most accurate gun on paper ive had.

My 22 mk hw77k would group just under an old 5p at 35 yards and 20 yards was pellet on pellet.