1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

BSA r10 (Erratic grouping)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Stu, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

I bought me an r 10 in near mint condition, i do believe it to be the mk1. I bought a new scope today and had taken it out to sight it but although there was a little bit of wind the grouping were all over the place after adjusting the sights to near as damn it spot on i went on a walk about, never saw a thing so decided to call it a day. Before i went home i tried a few test shots again and they seamed to be out again..... :confused:

Any idea why? Is it possible to do that or could it have been the wind?

2. 1hunter

1hunter Banned

what are the turrets like do they have caps your grouping should be somewhere handy to this at 35 yards DSCF3031.jpg :)

3. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

What pellets are you using in it?

4. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

could be the wind. are you using the same pellets as the last owner. as the barrel been bent and thats why he sold it . could be a number of reasons mate . i would take it out again set sum targets up and give it a good go

5. Choppo

Choppo Engaging Member

Could be a multitude of things have you put it across a chrono to see if the fps are all consistant. I had a pal who had the same problem with his mk1 and it baffled us for months & in the end after several long nights pithering he sent it to bsa & had a new barrel, regulator & most of the internals from a mk2 put in, all cleaned up & the problem went away.

6. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

AA diablo fields

Yeah chronod when i bought it 10.9

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. bazzab

bazzab Engaging Member

I bought an R10 and had the exact same problem. Would be pellet on pellet for few then look like shotgun the next.

BSA's are renowed for being pellet fussy. no two guns will be the same. So Im afraid its a case of sticking loads of different pellets threw until you find its favourite. The second i found the ones for mine, it cycled better loaded better and was pinpoint accurate. Its a pain but well well worth it buddy. :)

8. Choppo

Choppo Engaging Member

Also what style of mag do you have new or old as my mate also had his mag changed as it was clipping the skirts of the pellets.

9. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

Just had it tested on my "private grounds" and after 3 group tests what im finding is they are grouping around an inch sq but an odd shot will go well amiss like 4, 5 inch wide maybe 1 or 2 shot will go where the hell they like :confused:

Im not to pleased with the mag its seams old a sticky and not sure if its old or new style

10. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

The new style mags will have a red or blue band depending on caliber,red for .22 blue for .177,if it's a mk 1 your probably using the old style mags,sounds like you might want to try some different pellets through it mate and give the barrel a clean as well.

Diabolos work brilliantly in mine but as said before they can be pellet fussy,other brands worth having a go with would be rws superfields or superdomes, bisley superfields,jsb exacts and defiants have all worked well in mine,and if it's .177 bisley magnums work well as well from what I've heard.

11. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

You could try removing the "ported thread protector" (as BSA call it) & the baffles out of the shroud, just to eliminate clipping. Mine was much more consistent once I ditched the shroud. Many .177's prefer the heavier pellets, bis mags, baracuda match or as I am using at the minute Daystate heavies.

12. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

Its a 22 buddy, i have just further tested it at 4/5 yards and still a strange out come....

Far right of the 3 groups at 6 yards they seam all over (maybe the gun was not tight enough in its stance)

Middle grouping at 4/5 yards a lot more together and gun held firmly tight

Far left gun held firmly tight at 4/5 yards, notice the shot bottom left its just went where it wanted :confused: to say the least

All grouping 10 shots and these were not shot through the scope

13. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

14. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

sounds like your pellets mate . i use h&n ftt in my aa s410 but r10 dont like em try bisley mags if your .177

15. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

Was the rifle rested when you shot those groups?

16. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

Yeah 4 5 yards

Plz dont take much notice of the far right group as the gun wasnt held tight enough

17. Stu

Stu Keyboard Hero

Any further ideas guys

18. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Try different pellets, see what other pellet are using and have another go.

Check scope is not moving, loose or creeping

Is it some how clipping the shroud?

It could be a reg problem with some shots good and then all over the place again

19. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Stu contact XTX on here this isn't uncommon with R10's. He will let you know best ideas as he has sorted hundreds of R10's over the years.

20. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Yes thats the way forward if you can't pin point whats going on with it :up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.